what part of "don't get complacent" don't you understand?

I am currently charge of Croatia against Denmark in the 2nd to last qualifying rounds of the 2020 Euro Championships and I am 1-0 up then 1-1 then 2-1 up then at half time NOT to get to get back in it. I thinking they will do there job but fait had instore of more to screw me over 2-2 and I am nearly going to go out :mad::mad::mad:

There's a certain "magic factor" to all games, which is mainly dependent on team talks and tactics settings at the right times. For example, if you play your archrivals and say "for the fans!" prematch, with decent tactics, you're likely to lead 2-0 or 3-0 till half time. Now, the game ain't over yet. If you get lazy and say the wrong thing, or make the wrong adjustments, or keep playing attacking and reckless football, or whatever, in the second half, you're screwed. In short - PAY ATTENTION TO EVERY DETAIL OF YOUR TACTIC, or the game will feck you over because you didn't. Even if you're leading really comfortably. I've far too often seen opponents reduce to 3-1 on 60 mins, then netting 3-2 on something like 85, and ALWAYS getting a late 90+3 equalizer, or even worse, winner - just because the game is punishing you. This is no RNG - this is, in most cases, punishment for not doing your job.

Now, what i've said so far is very applicable at club level. National teams, however, are a completely different story - the above is true, too - just ten times worse. I've almost stopped seeing "dominating & fun" in these games, mostly just "aw man, another international friendly i have to spend 45 minutes planning & playing out". This is because said "magic factor" will always be the MAIN FACTOR behind what the score is - not the quality of your players or whatever. On club level, if you're playing a team two divisions below you, it's very unlikely that you lose - you might draw if you're bad. However, the inbalance between quality in teams (and the high level of prestige!!) is even more violent. Picture that you're Holland, playing North Korea in the World Cup group stage. Should be a downright steamrolling of the north korean side, at least in quality of players. You shouldn't even really be paying attention to tactics, if player quality was the judge of the result you could just make sure to put 11 dutch men out there on the pitch and tell them to feck off and do whatever as long as they win. Which they should, given that they're 15 notches above any north korean player. However, the game will balance it out, obviously - and if you don't pay very careful attention to tactics, motivation and simply doing your job as a manager, you will always get a bad result on national team level.

One might say that that is awful and unrealistic. But think about it this way: Just taking over a good team doesn't automatically grant you that 80% win record because they're THAT good. Quite the opposite, the game argues that if you want to prove yourself at the absolutely highest level, you better do your job right. That's why you'll get punished by rubbish teams for not doing it. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any challenge to it, ne?

In situations like the OP described, it's best just to zip it and say nothing.

That's the point I was making. "Angered, seemed confused" is much better that "Didn't seem to be listening..."

I've no idea why Team talks remain the same after all these years when they are clearly the biggest load of old bollocks. It's genuinely a game of "avoid the auto-lose button" and they simply don't make any sense whatsoever. One thing that annoys me above all else about the team talks is that each situation is given a defined set of choices, as opposed to being given the opportunity to say whatever we want every single time, adding to their boring, and ultimately linear feel to the whole process.

It seems that for each team talk there are: 2 negative choices (you'll probably lose if you choose either), 2 neutral choices (they have no real effect) and a single positive choice (which will see your performance improve/turn the game around). The annoying this is that each effect is different each time with no real way of knowing what does what; it's like that game where there is a counter/coin under the cups and you have to follow it and find it but you don't get to see the cups being shuffled. Hit and miss most of the time.

Team talks either need massively overhauled, or removed completely.

after the game check team talk feed back and take a note of what players like or don't like in what situations experiment with different team-talks on every player after 10-15 games you will know what to say to each player, you shouldn't use 'ask assistant' or 'set overall team-talk'. After a while you will know what to say to players based on their personality. It's not 100% guaranteed

In situations like the OP described, it's best just to zip it and say nothing.

Oh and btw de baser, considering this is your first day on the forums, that was a quality post :thup:

Did you see his post telling evryone using vista to foramt their c drive. This guy has probobaly caused some people a lot of damage

The team talk feedback is I'm always ignored. Once in a blue moon does the team talk illicit a reaction.

Even youth players ignore us! :confused:

Can you imagine for a second Alex Ferguson going into the changing room after a 2-0 home win against, say, Arsenal. He goes over to Macheda (who scored both) and says "I'm delighted with you tonight, son" to which Macheda rolls his eyes and says "Yeah.. erm, whatever..."

He'd get slapped :D

SI need to remove that bloody awful "didn't seem to be listening" line as it's easily the most insulting part of the game.

SI need to remove that bloody awful "didn't seem to be listening" line as it's easily the most insulting part of the game.

Yeah, that makes my blood boil as well.

I'm all in favor of SI keeping that line in, just as long as we can have a 'punish player for not listening during team talks' option.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived