Chapionship team in UEFA Cup

In my current save, Birmingham won the FA cup in the first season only to be relegated from the Premier League. Rather harsh was the fact that McLeish got Blues to the FA Cup final only to be sacked before the final took place due to being relegated, taking his backroom staff with him. A new 'unknown' manager came in and beat Portsmouth 4-3 AET in the Final and took the plaudits. It was nice, however, to see that in the news item about the final it said something along the lines of;

'The fans were praising 'new manager' who has since stated that most of the praise should belong to the ex-manager'

So, the situation is Birmingham are starting the season in the Europa League and the Championship also :p

Anyone else had this or has it happened in real life?

Not the championship but Gretna did it in scotland aftering finishing as runners up in the scottish cup, Hearts won the cup but finished second in the SPL getting into the Champions league. This ment that Grenta got the UFEA cup spot from the competition while they were in the scottish 1st division.

They didnt do very well getting knocked out during qualifiying but this still made it in. Best example of a real life team that i can think of, of hand. sure they have been more examples of second flight side getting into europe in different leagues.

In real life, Ligue 2 En Avant Guingamp won the Coupe de France this year, from which they got a Europa League place (lost 8-2 on aggregate to Hamburger SV before the group stage... tough draw). Not the same situation as getting relegated and winning the cup, since they started in the French 2nd tier. In my FM save they also beat Bordeaux in the French Supercup (Trophée des Champions), played in Montreal of all places (which seems to have been the real life location as well).

Millwall got into the UEFA Cup back in........2004 it might have been, by being a losing finalist, and they were in the Championship at the time

IIRC, they were blocked from entering the competition and it went to the 6th or 7th placed position in the Prem. Could be wrong though.

IIRC, they were blocked from entering the competition and it went to the 6th or 7th placed position in the Prem. Could be wrong though.

no they played in it i remember

didn't they have aload of trouble in ferencvaros?

i was right they lost in round 1 to a hungarian side called ferencvaros

http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Millwall:F:C.htm

Ipswich as well IIRC but not through the FA Cup

Ipswich finished 5th in Prem in first yr back so got UEFA Cup spot. We were bottom the next year but got into the UEFA Cup due to the Fair Play League as England was selected as having an extra place, and we were the best placed fair play wise who hadn't already qualified - and we beat Inter Milan!!

Dunfermline Athletic got into the UEFA Cup as a Scottish First Division side in 2007-08 after losing to Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final at the end of 2006-07 when they were also relegated from the SPL.

Archived