Manager Wages - Let's Spend Them in FM09

The argument is that they are worthless & they needlessly take up finances. So what would we like to see to counter that and make them worthwhile?

Obvious one is using them for flights to and from training complexes (there could be a few throughout the world depending on your level) where you pay to earn your coaching badges.

Coaching badges enable a more detailed control of training, hour by hour - country runs for 2 hours then dribbling, etc. Control the diet of the team (which does happen IRL by the way), pre-match warm-up techniques and substitute/half-time warm up techniques could be added for the more advanced giving them a slight edge. Depending on whatever coaching complex you attend (from Hargate, to Glasgow, to London, Rio deJaniero and beyond) there could be a football legend working there who could pass on knowledge and experience of certain things enabling you the ability to do things such as make certain players room-mates on away trips to try and have a better control of team-spirit or open your eyes on how to re-kindle team morale like something out of Remember the Titans (which could be enabled during a pre-season tour).

How about using your own money to go and see other teams playing (helps morale with chairman/board), donating to a local charity (effects fans/media) or even using some of it as a reward for whoever trains best during a week (encouraging greedy-ass players!).

I know some of these ideas won't fly but they're only suggestions, anyone else got some?

The argument is that they are worthless & they needlessly take up finances. So what would we like to see to counter that and make them worthwhile?

Obvious one is using them for flights to and from training complexes (there could be a few throughout the world depending on your level) where you pay to earn your coaching badges.

Coaching badges enable a more detailed control of training, hour by hour - country runs for 2 hours then dribbling, etc. Control the diet of the team (which does happen IRL by the way), pre-match warm-up techniques and substitute/half-time warm up techniques could be added for the more advanced giving them a slight edge. Depending on whatever coaching complex you attend (from Hargate, to Glasgow, to London, Rio deJaniero and beyond) there could be a football legend working there who could pass on knowledge and experience of certain things enabling you the ability to do things such as make certain players room-mates on away trips to try and have a better control of team-spirit or open your eyes on how to re-kindle team morale like something out of Remember the Titans (which could be enabled during a pre-season tour).

How about using your own money to go and see other teams playing (helps morale with chairman/board), donating to a local charity (effects fans/media) or even using some of it as a reward for whoever trains best during a week (encouraging greedy-ass players!).

I know some of these ideas won't fly but they're only suggestions, anyone else got some?

How you spend your money as manager should play no part at all in the game. Manager wages are purely cosmetic apart from coming off the bank balance which they should.

This isn't The Sims where you have a whole life outside the game that you can finance how you want. Very few managers plough their own money back into the club though unless they are managing a lower league club that has financial problems, in which case their own wage is generally not that high anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

They are an asthetic thing which doesn't really affect the game. In fact, this has given me the idea to go down to £1 per week on my next contract renewal negotiation. Save money, lose nothing from the game. Or will that be cheating? Or worse, lower my rep? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah but you can't, you aren't able to negotiate lower than what they offer you (except for the bug where you click on your current wage and it sets to that). But wages do give you more job security, which can be useful what with the whole "confidence" issue.

A couple of points - firstly wages are not worthless, they indicate your stature at the club and give you more/less job security.

Secondly, the things you are suggesting would be paid by the club, with the exception of giving your own money to charity. Most people involved in football give to charity, so it wuld make no difference to fan perception.

It is not necessary to buy anything with your money. I would rather be getting on with the business of managing a football club.

I'd like to play golf with my chairman and take my virtual family out to lunch with my wages...

Oh wait, that's been done. If you want to have personal life for your manager, I would suggest Fifa Manager.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtuck01:

No, no, no, no.

It's called "Football Manager," not "Personal Life Manager."

I warn you now, many, many, people will slate you for this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said

How cruel you lot are.

I quite like the idea of a limited spend on my wages re better ability to train re recognised courses/motivational courses re my team talks and so on.

After all it is a sim game and no we do not want to play fifa or golf or have a family etc..... icon_wink.gif

Until somebody posts an idea on what money should be spent on that is actually of any use to a Football Manager, then this idea has no merit. Nobody has managed it in the past, and I can't see it happening anytime soon.

I do like Skunner's idea of buying a half-time prostitute though. We could chose which blob we would like our blob to hire, and then see some blob lovin' at halftime. It would be raise a giggle at least, or am I just immature?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rancer890:

This is football manager. Not The Sims football manager. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The next expansion pack...?

how about a system where you could save your money etc and then when you want to you can buy foreign languages etc?

also you could use the money to increase transfer budget for lower league sides with your personal wealth.

this is not going to be popular but it is different to what has been suggested

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by belimanteli:

how about a system where you could save your money etc and then when you want to you can buy foreign languages etc?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even more unrealistic than the spend wages on players idea icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manager Wages - Let's Spend Them in FM09 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHS. icon14.gif

So many narrow-minded people slate this, it's a simulation GAME, not just a simulator based on numeric values. It has in essence become a role-playing game.

Although I believe it should be a part of FM it shouldn't be a major part.

It would be nice to use cash to learn new languages, to do new coaching badges which would increase your chances of employment and even donate it to the club. I'd like something like the system for learning coaching and scouting skills currently in FMLive but that involves real time rather than money.

Depending on your fame a fee would be taken from your wages to pay for living expenses (auto generated) to stop people earning lots in a season at a big club and then pumping it all into a small club. It would be a gradual thing.

I know some of us here have been playing since 1993 but it's 2008. Things need to advance, traditionalistic views hold the game back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toon07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rancer890:

The next expansion pack...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe if Sega and Ea split the profits...Create your own manager. Go to your computer to find available jobs. Train your players in 3D. Buy that new house when you get that new contract. Train your own son on your youth team and tell him to pay you rent lol. Honesty I never really liked Sims (played it once and hated it)

I ave earnt £51mil in wages from the start to August 2013. And personally, i just think its nice having a figure to see how much you have!

An idea somewould like could be a FM expansion pack, like the Sims has, but i dont think this would work.

Never really liked the idea TBH, but now, well, i still dont!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toon07:

Maybe if Sega and Ea split the profits...Create your own manager. Go to your computer to find available jobs. Train your players in 3D. Buy that new house when you get that new contract. Train your own son on your youth team and tell him to pay you rent lol. Honesty I never really liked Sims (played it once and hated it) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I've got to go a little off topic here. How do you not like The Sims? I mean seriously. I loved that game, and spent countless hours building my very own mansion.! I say "loved" because I just don't have the time to play that game anymore, but I have never heard of someone that HATED the sims.!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Maybe if Sega and Ea split the profits...Create your own manager. Go to your computer to find available jobs. Train your players in 3D. Buy that new house when you get that new contract. Train your own son on your youth team and tell him to pay you rent lol. Honesty I never really liked Sims (played it once and hated it) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I've got to go a little off topic here. How do you not like The Sims? I mean seriously. I loved that game, and spent countless hours building my very own mansion.! I say "loved" because I just don't have the time to play that game anymore, but I have never heard of someone that HATED the sims.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kinda hate most Ea games in general except NFS (lack of improvements on PC versions). Sims just dont interest me. Now let's back on topic.

I remember when EA introduced the "spend your money" feature as a small secret in the game. It was a good bit of fun as it had novelty value, but I never took it as a serious part of the game, and it didn't attract me to buy their next game.

I was amazed when playing the Fifa Manager 07 demo just how big this feature had become though. The non-footballing features in Fifa Manager far outweigh the actual footballing features which are poor. This whole idea would only have brief novelty value and would soon wear off. It'd be a pointless addition which would waste SI's time when they have far more important issues to address. It adds absolutely nothing to the game, which is about football and nothing else.

Having said that I'd like something added to your manager history/information telling you how much money you'd earned in your career.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Having said that I'd like something added to your manager history/information telling you how much money you'd earned in your career. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is, go to history, then information. So far I've earned £15m.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Equium:

Let us pump money into the club ourselves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EDIT: I meant to use for transfers. Obviously putting money that the club has paid me back into the club would be pointless.

No offence but terrible idea. Really bad. Absolute stinker.

Let's add more FOOTBALL features in '09. It's not 'Desperate Housewives: The Game' for goodness sake. Whatever next, perhaps we could spend our wages in B & Q on 10% day- I've always wanted a pot plant in my virtual management office...

We should be able to spend the money investing back in the club, right now we just damage the club we want to succeed, we don't need the money as theres nothing to spend it on but the idea of having wages is good if not integral to the experience but it would make sense to invest the money back in the cluib if you wanted to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by earmack:

We should be able to spend the money investing back in the club, right now we just damage the club we want to succeed, we don't need the money as theres nothing to spend it on but the idea of having wages is good if not integral to the experience but it would make sense to invest the money back in the cluib if you wanted to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure I agree. Wages are very important in the game but only as part of the budget each club has. Spending them would be wholly unnecessary and not add anything to the simulation of football management. It would feel like a ridiculous bolt-on.

I really got to laugh at the traditionalist bandwagon jumpers, considering my ideas are as far away from unreal SIM-like additions as possible. Anything to hit out with some flames, huh guys? LOLZ and all that! Yaaaawn!

Originally I wanted to comment on how hard it is to get morale up through using your managers personality, as in manage a squad like someone such as Martin O'Neill or on the other end of the personality spectrum Fabio Capello. Being a mastermind to help teams bond, shape personalities to fit the goal of your team and work towards a common goal. Originally I was wondering if it was possible for computer whizzkids to write scripts for FM that could be specially added, scripts where you could take your team to visit historic places of the club and inspire them (increase moral and their favourites) but from that extended other things I would like to see included in the game such as the ability to become more involved in training and ways to interact with the fans/the media. All my ideas in the original post had reasons behind them, I explained who it would effect and how. All ideas were strictly dealing with football!

I love the idea of there not being a DEFINITE best 11 in FM09, you need consider personalities as you secretly peek at their PA's. You build a team and you run a team your way (is it worth adding in "MY TEAM as favorite" to a filter? Is having a team full of expensive, skillfull madonna's the way to go or is it possible to be world-beaters with players who grew up wearing the colours of your team?) , you deal with the fans and the media your way. Using wages as a hook these ideas could work, managers who are starting out in the lower leagues have to expand their knowledge of football and use money out of their own pockets to do so a lot of the time.

So far, except from one suggestion of adding in "living expenses" (technially we could go into detail and argue the higher a managers living expenses the more influence he is likely to have with certain players - and also personality clashes with others!) all that has been posted is pre-teen elitist babble. I'm not saying stop, it's kinda cute! But seriously, guys who are interested in this aspect of the game and future games come on out and add to the ideas. It is already a small aspect of the game and a major part of real life football management, it can be much, much better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The argument is that they are worthless & they needlessly take up finances. So what would we like to see to counter that and make them worthwhile? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">all that has been posted is pre-teen elitist babble. I'm not saying stop, it's kinda cute! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Son, your premise is flawed, rendering the rest of your case inadmissible. Is that pre-teen enough for you?

As always terrible idea icon13.gif

HappyNoodleBhoy - You have a lot to say on this matter yet I've not seen a single decent idea from you (or anyone else) as to how this would improve the game.

It would be a completely pointless feature that would add nothing to the game for the majority of people. If someone disagreeing with you makes their opinion 'pre-teen' and worthless in your eyes then that says enough about you to know that there's no point trying to debate the reasons why this is a bad idea with you.

If you were to include this you would have to simulate an entire lifestyle requiring money for all its aspects.

Hey, why not have all the players spend their wages too. We can start building shops and starting up businesses with our pretend cash... icon_rolleyes.gif

So yes, I agree with phnompenhandy. Your opening two lines of the thread rander the follow-up arguments fairly pointless since the idea that manager wages "needlessly take up finances" is ridiculous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

As always terrible idea icon13.gif

HappyNoodleBhoy - You have a lot to say on this matter yet I've not seen a single decent idea from you (or anyone else) as to how this would improve the game.

It would be a completely pointless feature that would add nothing to the game for the majority of people. If someone disagreeing with you makes their opinion 'pre-teen' and worthless in your eyes then that says enough about you to know that there's no point trying to debate the reasons why this is a bad idea with you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disagreement is fine, I dig it. Copy and pasting the same old tripe about "this is not THE SIMS!" & "let's just go and buy horses and women too, eh!?" is definetly borish.

My point was using wages to expand and better the personality aspects of the game which right now isn't the best. They're just sitting there doing nothing (except contribute to job security, wow my head is falling off with glee!), I'm sure we've all been in the position at a lower league club where the morale is in the red and we wish we could do something about it. Take the team by the scruff of the neck or go on holiday or SOMETHING! I only suggested the ability to use those career earnings and allow them to enable options that could help the squad (as long as you put the work in), they could anable you to be more hands-on.

It's not that much of a leap for the current series. If you disagree fair enough, I don't see how you could be down on an idea that improves a major aspect of the game but d'ffrnt strokes and all that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HappyNoodleBhoy:

It's not that much of a leap for the current series. If you disagree fair enough, I don't see how you could be down on an idea that improves a major aspect of the game but d'ffrnt strokes and all that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My problem with it is that the bad would far outweigh the good and the type of things you're talking about (taking the player on holiday and the like) would never be paid for by the manager in real life. So why should you have the option to do this in the game?

I've got nothing against improving the managers interaction with his players and staff but in no way should it be linked to the managers wages, there are just much better ways to improve the areas of the game you mention.

In real life a mangers wages are used by him in his personal life. The only affect they have on his professional career are when deciding what job to take and to impact the likelyhood of him getting sacked easily if he has a long expensive contract. That's how it is in real life and that's jow it should be in the game.

My point remains the same every week when this sort of thread is started and then shot down.....

Just becuase someothing is in the game it doesn't mean it needs expanding on. Manager wages are in the game, that is as far as it needs to go, spending the wage would be pointless, gimmicky and damaging to the aim and image of FM.

I may as well save that in my word processor as I'll be needing it again next week icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

My problem with it is that the bad would far outweigh the good and the type of things you're talking about (taking the player on holiday and the like) would never be paid for by the manager in real life. So why should you have the option to do this in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say the holday would be paid for by the manager, I said the wages could be used on courses which would add on scripts for the manager to do this. Just like if a young player learns how to skip past people from a mentor your manager can go to training complexes/meet tutors and add on these abilities. I know it's not for everyone but for people that want to go over their team with a fine tooth comb and basically be hands-on and put down the cones for training, it would make it possible for no two managers to be the same, no two teams to be the same and no "Best FM XI" to be the same because managers would have to go out and find players that fit with their style of personality.

I've got nothing against improving the managers interaction with his players and staff but in no way should it be linked to the managers wages, there are just much better ways to improve the areas of the game you mention. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to hear any suggestions?

In real life a mangers wages are used by him in his personal life. The only affect they have on his professional career are when deciding what job to take and to impact the likelyhood of him getting sacked easily if he has a long expensive contract. That's how it is in real life and that's jow it should be in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see where you are coming from but to say no LLM goes out and improves his knowledge of the game with his own money...? Buys books? Videos? Goes on courses? Meets mentors? I'm not argueing this for the sake of it, I think it would be a great addition and is viable as long as we don't get "Buy The Art of War" as an option but more the likes of what I mentioned with tutoring during pre-season and allowing a manager to go way, way into detail during training.

Once FM allows me to interact with my amazing winger at a home European tie and tell him he doesn't need to fly for the second leg if we win by 4 goals then I'll know that the player interaction is unbeatable. (An option I know a lot of players cannot be arsed with, hence using wages as a way of making this sort of thing an add-on and not totally necessary!).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HappyNoodleBhoy:

My problem with it is that the bad would far outweigh the good and the type of things you're talking about (taking the player on holiday and the like) would never be paid for by the manager in real life. So why should you have the option to do this in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say the holday would be paid for by the manager, I said the wages could be used on courses which would add on scripts for the manager to do this. Just like if a young player learns how to skip past people from a mentor your manager can go to training complexes/meet tutors and add on these abilities. I know it's not for everyone but for people that want to go over their team with a fine tooth comb and basically be hands-on and put down the cones for training, it would make it possible for no two managers to be the same, no two teams to be the same and no "Best FM XI" to be the same because managers would have to go out and find players that fit with their style of personality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry but I don't see how this has got anything to do with the managers wages. If it could be argues that there was merit in this idea of managers going on courses which could then allow them to improve their training methods then this should just be an option in the game and should not involve the manager spending his own wages on it. I'm not purposly trying to shoot down all your suggestions, I just genuinely think that bringing in ways to spend a mangers wages is not in keeping with the image and direction of the game. I for one would be very disappointed if this was introduced , and I know a lot of other's would be as well.

I've got nothing against improving the managers interaction with his players and staff but in no way should it be linked to the managers wages, there are just much better ways to improve the areas of the game you mention. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to hear any suggestions?

My thoughts on staff feedback and interaction.

In real life a mangers wages are used by him in his personal life. The only affect they have on his professional career are when deciding what job to take and to impact the likelyhood of him getting sacked easily if he has a long expensive contract. That's how it is in real life and that's jow it should be in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see where you are coming from but to say no LLM goes out and improves his knowledge of the game with his own money...? Buys books? Videos? Goes on courses? Meets mentors?

Players spend their money on personal items as well, this may also be spent on books and videos which they think might improve their game. Should this also be in FM?

I just can't agree that allowing the manager to spend his money on personal items, even if they are things that impact on his managerial position, is a good idea or would add anything beneficial to the game. If managers should be allowed to improve themselves it should be something done in conjunction with the club and should in no way involve the managers personal earnings

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm not argueing this for the sake of it, I think it would be a great addition and is viable as long as we don't get "Buy The Art of War" as an option but more the likes of what I mentioned with tutoring during pre-season and allowing a manager to go way, way into detail during training.

Once FM allows me to interact with my amazing winger at a home European tie and tell him he doesn't need to fly for the second leg if we win by 4 goals then I'll know that the player interaction is unbeatable. (An option I know a lot of players cannot be arsed with, hence using wages as a way of making this sort of thing an add-on and not totally necessary!). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again I'm all for more interaction with your players and the rest of your staff, but in no way should this be linked with the managers wages.

I just can't agree that allowing the manager to spend his money on personal items, even if they are things that impact on his managerial position, is a good idea or would add anything beneficial to the game. If managers should be allowed to improve themselves it should be something done in conjunction with the club and should in no way involve the managers personal earnings </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a point I can respect, thanks for at least giving my ideas the time of day before hitting out with a copy and paste. *thumbs up*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

I'd like to buy a half time prostitute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am all for that icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

I'd like to buy a half time prostitute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am all for that icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

male or female? i've got them all here just offer your price and i'll see what you can afford icon_smile.gif

Archived