Bic clubs releasing big players

Anyone else seen this?

At the end of the first season Chelsea released Ballack and Deco and at the end of the second season they released Anelka, Kalou and Carvalho. At the end of the second season Liverpool released Riera, Reina and Kuyt and Everton released Saha. Seems a bit odd...

It's not that realistic. I mean Liverpool wouldn't release Reina at the moment but I can see them getting rid of Riera and Kuyt. Same with Chelsea and Anelka he's in like the best form in his entire career.

How on earth can it ever be realistic?

Man Utd didn't release Neville/Scholes just because they turned 32 or 33. Marek, if Chelsea release any of those players on a free in the next 2 years, well done for predicting it, but i highly doubt it!

What's worse is that if you get promoted from the Championship, you can sign half a team of very good Prem players like Anelka, Saha, Vela, Ballack and easily stay up. Challenge gone.

the thing is, they're all peculiar as even players like klose, van bommel, carvalho who are getting on a bit, won't be without a club at the end of a season. they might get transferred, but there's no way these clubs would release these players.

Guest El Payaso
Realistic.

All those players are on huge contracts and nearly all of them are on the decline, especially with age.

And Maldini didn't play in Milan at the age of 40, huh? This is one thing that is wrong in FM. I think that if player still has motivation and desire to play football, he can still be in good shape when he's 35 years old. Seen many of them but in FM it's just not gonna happen.

And Maldini didn't play in Milan at the age of 40, huh? This is one thing that is wrong in FM. I think that if player still has motivation and desire to play football, he can still be in good shape when he's 35 years old. Seen many of them but in FM it's just not gonna happen.

Beckham is my Captain at Sunderland and is 35 years old.

I also have Van nistolroy up front, scored 27 goals at 33 last year, still a big part of plans for this season. Have also brought Owen in to partner him, and he is no youngster.

They were released. I don't know about the Liverpool players but i kept tabs on Anelka and he went from being a regular to being released on a free in a matter of months.

Also, if Ribery didn't sign a new contract, surely Real would have snapped him up before he actually got released. If the Ribery situation was the same as in my game, the players were without a club for a few weeks without anybody showing interest...

I also have Van nistolroy up front, scored 27 goals at 33 last year, still a big part of plans for this season. Have also brought Owen in to partner him, and he is no youngster.

That's another two i've seen happening - Van Nistelrooy and Owen released. I know they're getting on, but they just wouldn't be released on free transfers.

Released is the wrong word. IRL, clubs cannot hold a gun to the players head and make them sign a deal. Maybe in game, not enough money was offered? Happens IRL for a whole host of reasons all the time.

Not trying to sound arsy, but when?

That's another two i've seen happening - Van Nistelrooy and Owen released. I know they're getting on, but they just wouldn't be released on free transfers.

Pretty sure Owen was just released IRL ;) I know it was under different circumstances, but it wasn't like there was a race to sign him.

When you’re playing as a smaller club, e.g. Aberdeen like me, it makes it pointless to sign players on pre-contracts in Jan. You know you can just hold off until 1st/2nd July and pick up these released players, none of whom would’ve been remotely interested in joining me in January. If you time it right, you can even be the only interested club when they’ve been released.

Surely, if these top players were being released, they’d have another deal lined up with a bigger club.

Needs adjusted I think.

yep franck ribery got released on mine at end of second season from bayern, as did klose, van bommel and someone else i don't quite remember although it's only ribery's release which is particularly peculiar.

Well perhaps Ribery refused to sign a new deal even if Bayern wanted to keep him and he hasn't found a new club yet...

Guest El Payaso

Yeah it's possible in team you are managing but AI seems to threat their older players like rubbish.

Hmm, in my game Vela went to Bayern Munich for £8 million.

I do agree that there might a higher than normal chance of players who are old but good being released. No chance of Liverpool ever releasing Kuyt this season, let alone Reina. Even Riera would be unlikely.

Hmm, Liverpool released Aquilani and Carragher in 2014, couldn't imagine Aquilani just being released on a free. They also released Sergey Semak two years after spending £5 million on him

How on earth can it ever be realistic?

Man Utd didn't release Neville/Scholes just because they turned 32 or 33. Marek, if Chelsea release any of those players on a free in the next 2 years, well done for predicting it, but i highly doubt it!

What's worse is that if you get promoted from the Championship, you can sign half a team of very good Prem players like Anelka, Saha, Vela, Ballack and easily stay up. Challenge gone.

I got promoted with Sheff Wed and i couldnt get any players to join deco was realased and went to Inter milan.

i suppose it would be un realistic if they had a couple of years left on there contract but to be honest if there contract was up would you keep a 30+ year old on upto 100 grand a week? i know in years gone by clubs maybe would have but i do think things have changed and nowa days they wouldnt be offer such abig contract.

Some players I've seen on the transfer list due to being "too old": Ibrahimovic, Xavi, Adebayor, Buffon, Ribery (there were others who slipped my mind). Something else which caught my eye was Bayern transfer listing both Klose and Toni at the end of the first season oO

There's another interesting class of players in this fray, namely the "old, proven legends" which still get a lot of play and appear to be "proven class" even though they're bordering on 40. Lots of examples of this in AC Milan and Roma - and these guys, like Pirlo, Del Piero (scores like 25-30 goals when he's 37!!!) and Inzaghi, stay till they die. Subsequently, this actually makes the team underperform in later seasons as you catch up with quality youngsters.

Regarding releases, i guess that's the FM reality. I've had players decide they want a new challenge with 3 years left, and refusing outright to sign a new contract - while remaining a huge part of my squad, eventually just playing their hart out till the contract is done and then ****ing off. NEVER budging in opinion once their mind is made up, three years prior. I've lost giant transfer sums like this, but i guess it is viable to a certain extent.

What i'd like to see is regens aquiring "old faithful" qualities - they always stagnate by the FM rulebook the day they turn 30, and are basically worthless 18 months later. The pre-made old faithfuls become an own class of player - they got a PH.D. in passing, set pieces and influence, but would lose a 100m dash against my grandma.

I'd like to see players retiring at a reasonably good playing level like how Zidane did, winning the golden ball despite his impending retirement. The legends in the game always end up rotting in the reserves, lingering on the transfer list or playing for some ***** team, rather than retiring gloriously like they deserve.

I'd like to see players retiring at a reasonably good playing level like how Zidane did, winning the golden ball despite his impending retirement. The legends in the game always end up rotting in the reserves, lingering on the transfer list or playing for some ***** team, rather than retiring gloriously like they deserve.

Totally agree with you. Nothing worst than seeing a former legend player lingering in the reserves until his contract expires and they get released on a free. They should go out at the top ala Maldini, Zidane, Figo etc.

As for players being released, SI have improved squad balance alot in the past few versions ( I remember 2 or 3 years ago, a team like chelsea would sell all their goalies and have a greyed out player in goal), but its still not as good as it should be. In my current game, man utd haven't signed a player for 3 years and sold evra, fabio, rafael and o'shea (they have no one who can play LB wtf?)

Realistic.

All those players are on huge contracts and nearly all of them are on the decline, especially with age.

Released is the wrong word. IRL, clubs cannot hold a gun to the players head and make them sign a deal. Maybe in game, not enough money was offered? Happens IRL for a whole host of reasons all the time.

I love how threads here turn into attempts to justify bugs/flaws as "this happens all the time!" or "this makes sense!" when clearly neither is the case.

I got promoted with Sheff Wed and i couldnt get any players to join deco was realased and went to Inter milan.

i suppose it would be un realistic if they had a couple of years left on there contract but to be honest if there contract was up would you keep a 30+ year old on upto 100 grand a week? i know in years gone by clubs maybe would have but i do think things have changed and nowa days they wouldnt be offer such abig contract.

Well, typically in FM you can eventually talk players into lesser wages and short contracts. I guess to evaluate this we'd need to know the pay disparity before and after. So, those of you who saw Deco leave for free, how much did Inter or whoever pay him? Did he previously reject similar offers from Chelsea?

Some players I've seen on the transfer list due to being "too old": Ibrahimovic, Xavi, Adebayor, Buffon, Ribery (there were others who slipped my mind). Something else which caught my eye was Bayern transfer listing both Klose and Toni at the end of the first season oO

Well, they *do* have too many strikers. That bit is rather obvious. And I guess Olic and Gomez are a whole bit younger. But... of course only one of the four would leave, namely Olic or Toni.

Anyone else seen this?

At the end of the first season Chelsea released Ballack and Deco and at the end of the second season they released Anelka, Kalou and Carvalho. At the end of the second season Liverpool released Riera, Reina and Kuyt and Everton released Saha. Seems a bit odd...

Ballack ,carvalho and deco are both old and highly over paid ,anelka and saha are old ,so it's fully understandable why they have been released.

Riera ,reina and kuyt being released is ,for want of a better phrase ,silly bollock's.

Archived