GK sent off for handling out of area!

So a while back (maybe a week or two), I remembered seeing a few threads by people wanting to know if goalkeepers get sent off in FM10 for handling outside the area.

FIFA essentially rule that if the offending goalie deliberately handles the ball to prevent a clear cut goal scoring opportunity, then it's an automatic red card.

Anything else can warrant a yellow card.

Many people said they witnessed a GK red carded in their games, yet couldn't provide proof.

It just so happens that I can (unfortunately):

SO2.jpg

SO3.jpg

SO4.jpg

SO5.jpg

In the screenies above, you can see that the nearest player to the ball (other than my GK) is the opposition #11 player Bradley Proctor,

so according to FIFA rules, (although Proctor was a long way back from the ball) my GK should have been sent off, I guess.

Thumbs up to SI for this one.

Yeah, his name's red from rewinding. Bit weird that.

The goalie in question (a young Hungarian) is a temperamental little git. Earlier on in the season I had to threaten him with sitting on the sidelines because of poor performances and cockiness. Never had such a problem with a player before. He's a nightmare :)

Anyway, It was great to finally provide proof on the whole handling outside of the area debate :thup:

Your formation looks very messy.

Looks that way but this particular incident reared it's ugly head from a massive punt from the opposition goalie on the right. They counter attacked just after I was attacking from a corner, so my players were out of position...

1. Not a DOGSO (Denying An Obvious Goalscoring Opportunity) - Because of where the ball is and the distance to the AI striker. As a ref I wouldnt even given a yellow for that one - Id just take it he was clumsy. Had he done it in front of the goal, its still not a DOGSO because the striker is too far away.

2. But its nice to see that the rule is implemented - just hope they will get it right some day, just as I hope they will fix the offside problems

3. And why on earth is he picking up the ball with his hands anyway?? Unless he is dead on the line when picking it up(lines belongs to the area they limit), he could just have taken one touch with his foot and got it into the box where he actually is allowed to pick it up(unless it is a backpass of course, doh)... He seems just as stupid as my GK who have been yellow carded once for same offence - but what to expect of a Level 9 goalie? :D

Ha-Ha! Some good points made there supersaint.

I would say though that the above example was about 50-50 in terms of a DOGSO. The nearest player was the opposition striker chasing down the ball (even though he was miles away). A ref probably has to err on the side of caution during situations like this?

You're right though, my goalie had plenty of time to hoof the ball up the field - or touch it inside the area & pick it up. Idiot :D

Looks that way but this particular incident reared it's ugly head from a massive punt from the opposition goalie on the right. They counter attacked just after I was attacking from a corner, so my players were out of position...

Ah ok, I thought you were playing some super-fluid tactic.

The key here is just as you say, "miles away" and that since the ball is on the right hand side of the box, your defenders has really good chance of getting back to cover the goal. The way I see it then is that it is less likely to be even a YC. But a ref giving a YC is not wrong in doing that either; its all about perception and experience

Ive been a ref for 15 years and I have only given YC for GK hands twice... U16 girl trying to stop a lob just outside the box - had defenders behind her, so YC for deliberate handball. The other was a U12 girl picking up the ball outside the box - I felt sorry for her, because she didnt do it deliberately in her mind, but according to the laws of the game it was a deliberate action... My supervisor said after the game that he would axed me from the tournament if I hadnt given the YC :(

Brilliant feautre, another hidden little thing i haven't noticed yet - which would probably **** me off severely if i did learn it the hard way. Lovely story with the 6-0 victory as well!

In situations like these, it's also a viable option for the keeper to head the ball if it's too high up for him to make a decent kick out of it. I've seen this happen in real matches several times, given that the striker is closer than Proctor in the above example. Now in FM, keepers have aerial ability stats, but when am i gonna see them heading the ball outside of their area? I can't recall seeing an FM goalie scoring (or even touching the ball) with his head, even when coming up for that last ditch corner in stoppage time.

Archived