[FM10] Merthyr Madness?

MShing

I have been playing the CM/FM series since 1995, and stumbling on these forums a few months ago has given me new enthusiasm for the game. This is my first career post I hope everyone enjoys reading it. Thanks.

MShing’s Dafuge’s Challenge

Merthyr_club_logo.png

Version: 10.1

Edits: None

Leagues: English Premiership – Blue Square North/South

Manager Reputation: Sunday League Footballer

History: The club was formed in 1945, and joined the Welsh League. In their first season, they finished as runners-up, and joined the Southern League. After bouncing between the various Southern League divisions during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, the club finally won their sixth championship in 1988-89, making them joint Southern League title record-holders together with Southampton. This time, winning the championship meant promotion to the Football Conference, the fifth level of English football. The club finished ninth in their first two seasons, and then fourth. However, they then went into decline, and were relegated back to the Southern League in 1995, and have remained there since. They should have been relegated a season earlier, but were reprieved when Northern Premier League champions Marine failed to meet the stadium criteria for the league.

Aim: This save is run under the rules of Dafuge’s Challenge, with the aim of taking Merthyr Tydfil through the leagues and to Premiership and European Glory, making them the biggest club in the world.

Season 1 –Blue Square South 2010/11

Manager Profile

Manager Personal

The club has £30,000 in the bank which was nice to see a club at this level not in the red (yet). The stadium holds 10,000 (1,500 seated) which I thought was very good for this standard. Some of the squad was ok but a lot of wheeling and dealing would need to be done once my scout gets back his reports. Backroom staff was ok but could be better, I decided to keep them in place until their contracts ran out at the end of the season, so I didn’t need to waste money on terminating contracts.

Prediction

In my 1st season in the BSS the board wanted a brave fight against relegation. I thought with a few new signings we could do better than that so I decided to tell the board we could gain a mid-table position. With this the board increased the wage budget to £3,200, roughly double what they were spending at the moment, so I instantly got my scouts looking for new free talent in the UK & Ireland.

Transfers

Lots of players in and lots out.

Players

Top Performer - Nick Main (CM) - Avr 7.11

Top Scorer - Marcus Griffiths (SC) - 22 Goals

Fans Player of the Year - Nick Main

league table

The board was delighted with our first season in the BSS, they expected to fight bravely against relegation, but we defied all odds and finished as champions of BSS on the last day of the season. Our final game was against Bromley at home who were in second place 1 point behind. In a nail biting game we managed a 2-2 draw to be crowned champions. I love this game. :D

Last Game of Season

Cups

Terrible

Season 2 - Blue Square Premier 2011/2012

Not a lot to report in our first season in the Blue Square Premier. Just like last year I had dipped into the free transfer market, with more than a few players going each way.

The board expected to fight bravely against relegation but I thought with a few new signings we could do better than that, so I opted for a safe mid table finnish.

After a poor start of 1 draw from our first 5 games, I thought it was going to be a long hard season, but soon after this we started picking up points and went on a small run, but it didnt last long we managed to finnish in 16th place, But I wasn't too dissapointed, it had been a great achievement for us, and something i felt we could definately build on for next season.

Transfers

Players

Top Performer - Nick Main (MC) - 7.01 Avr

Top Scorer - Markus Griffiths (SC) - 18 goals

Fans Player of the Year - Nick Main

League Table

Career Overview

Season      League                    Position      Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11     Blue Square South         1st           BSS Champions
2011/12     Blue Square Premier       16th   

if anyone could explain to me how to change the name of my links, that would be great, i just cant seem to work it out thanks.

have season 3 completed, will update when I have more time soon

You need to post it like this.

[noparse]league table[/noparse]

to give you this

league table

Hope that explains it.

Well done with a solid consolidation after promotion :thup:

Season 3 - Blue Square Premier 2012/13

After last season the press didnt fancy us and predicted another struggle towards the bottom of the league with the odds they gave us. The board felt similar, but after some of our signings I knew we were better, so I predicted a top half finnish. I hoped we could manage it but I never thought we could have a season this good.

Transfers

League Table

Playoff Semi Leg 1

A fairly easy game for us, and a vital away win put us in the driving seat to reach the final.

Playoff Semi Leg 2

2:1 down at full time, leveling the scores and heading to extra time. I couldn't believe it, I thought we had thrown it away. After introducing Marcus Griffiths, our top scorer from previous 2 years, but had not seen much action this season the game changed and he bagged a goal. After that we were unstoppable and bagged another. Off to Wembley

Playoff Final

A pretty uneventful 1st half, after a few stern words in the dressing rooms and a change here and there, we went ahead on the 65th minute, thanks to our new SC who was among the goals that season. Dispair after Crawley equalised going into the latter stages of the game, so much for switching to counter attack

An edgy extra time period came and went with neither side wanting to take too many chances and concede that vital goal.

So to the dreaded penalty shootout. Success and failure for all the seasons hard work comes down to 5 spot kicks. Everyone scores until the last pen for Crawley, MISSED! I jump out my seat and scream for joy, hoping my final penalty taker the usually cool Wiktorski would put his away.....

He did, and Methyr Tydfil are heading to League 2.

FA Trophy Final

2 trips to Wembley in a season, I just love playing at this stadium. After going 1-0 down after 22 minutes, I was disheartened but thought we might pull it back. Then on 27mins it turned to dispair, with Derek Niven getting sent off. Now I didnt fancy us at all 1-0 down and down to 10 men . We managed to equalise on 31 mins and it was an edgy affair for the rest of the game. I thought back to the playoff semi leg 2 when I bought on Griffiths who scored one of the goals to get us to the final, so I put him on again.

OMG I went beserk, added time 92nd minute he only pops up and scores the winner. If this kid isnt on the favoured players list at this club it would be a travesty.

FA Trophy Win

A great season with promotion and our first piece of silverware in the FA Trophy, hopefuly the board will give us a bigger budget next season so I can attract the players we will need to avoid relegation.

Players

Top Performer - Frederic Veseli (DC) 7.22 Avr

Top Scorer - James Walker (SC) 30 Goals

Fans Player of the Year - Jabo Ibehre (SC)

Scoring Record

Assist Record

Scoring Record

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012/13     Blue Square Premier       3rd           BSP Playoff Winners, FA Trophy Winners

Season 4 - Coca Cola League 2 2013/14

After the great success we had last season I knew it would be hard to avoid relegation, but with some investment in the team I knew we would give it our best. The odds were against us, making us favorites to go down and the board had a similar view, wanting us to battle against relegation.

Transfers

League Table

League Graph

This was about the best we could hope for I guess, as long as we could avoid relegation I felt we could build on that for the next season. The transfers we bought in did the job we needed, slotting into the first team to replace the weaker Conference standard players. At one point we were hopeless and couldnt buy a win. No win in 8

My best striker didnt help our problem, not once but twice going on a barren patch infront of goal during the season, I had to keep playing him because the other strikers were not as good.

Poor Form

Shocking Form 1

Shocking Form 2

FA Cup

The highlight of the season was our FA Cup 3rd Round draw. We couldn't have asked for a sweeter draw in terms of revenue we could receive.

FA Cup 3rd Round - Man Utd(Away)

Just getting drawn against Utd at Old Trafford was good enough, but my boys played their hearts out and earned a magnificent draw, bringing them to our place in the replay where they stuff us 4-0. I was in heaven, over £1 million earned from the two legs in revenue and a good performance at Old Trafford. If only we could have transferred that form into the League, but it wasnt to be :(

Players

Top Performer - Frederic Veseli (DC) 7.00 Avr

Top Goalscorer - Marko Mitrovic (SC) 18 Goals

Fans Player of the Year - Frederic Veseli

Career Overview

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012/13     Blue Square Premier       3rd           BSP Playoff Winners, FA Trophy Winners
2013/14     Coca-Cola League 2        17th

Season 5 Coca-Cola League 2 2014/15

I could feel this could be our season, the board wanted a safe mid table position and I agreed. We made some really good free transfers this season. With the Man Utd gate receipts burning a hole in our bank account the board gave me a generous £200k to spend in the summer.

Transfers

I felt it would be best to mainly go for free transfers so upped my wage budget slightly but still buying a young winger for £100k.

League Table

League Graph

A pretty uneventful season this was, finnishing 15th we were safe towards the end of the season and still had nothing to play for with our early exits from the cups.

Cups

League Cup - In our 1st outing in this competition we lose in the first round, away to Oxford 3-0.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - We lose in the First round, away to Wycombe 3-0

FA Cup - No big draws this season, we also lose in the 1st round, away to Charlton 2-1

Players

Top Performer - Frederic Veseli (DC) 7.12 Avr

Top Goalscorer- Marko Mitrovic (SC) 20 goals

Fans Player of the Year - Zeshan Rehman (DC)

Career Overview

2014/15     Coca-Cola League 2        15th

Season 6 - Coca Cola League 2 - 2015/16

The board had a generous season and decided to give me a bit of money. I was delighted and straight away put the extra cash into our wage budget as I knew we would need it with many free transfers coming and going in the summer. After two previous seasons finnishing lower mid table the board increased their expectations and expected a mid table finnish, I agreed and got to work in bringing in fresh talent.

Transfers

As you can see lots of action again this season, I just hope the team can settle in time so we can get a good season going. This season I went for a few older well known players to give us a bit of experience I think we lacked in previous years. I was delighted with some of the signings like Sharp and Bullard, these two were just awesome totally worth the wages I had to splash out on them. Other signings that were just as expensive were not so great and a total waste of money. With our bank balance increasingly going into the red this season I knew we needed to provide some silverware to justify our large wage budget.

League Table

A great season. I couldnt believe we played so well, some of the signings were truely inspired and we were on fire for most of the season, scoring over 100 goals and finnishing 10 points clear of second. Our great form concluded with us winning the league, half the team being named in the Team of the season and me being named manager of the year.

Manager of the Year

Team of the year

Cups

Pretty rubbish this season getting knocked out of all cups in the early rounds.

Players

Top Performer - Billy Sharp (SC) 7.20 Avr

Top Goalscorer- Billy Sharp (SC) 27 goals

Fans Player of the Year- Billy Sharp (SC)

A truely amazing season from Sharp, I couldnt have asked for more from him in his first season for us and cannot wait to see him in action next season. I hope his form continues.

Career Overview

2010/11     Blue Square South         1st           BSS Champions, Promoted
2015/16     Coca-Cola League 2        1st           Champions, Promoted

Nice season! And some great signings too, in particularly Sharp and Bullard. As you say, totally worth the wages spent on them if they perform like that. Now, just to keep them happy! :D How are your attendances looking?

Thanks Raware,

My ground is 10000 mostly standing. Our average attendance for this season was 3322, but for the bigger games we were getting around 6000. Not bad should be higher next season in L1. It needs to be with our ever increasing wages. I cannot believe the jump in wages once you get into league football.

Our kit sponsorship is killing us though, it was signed when we were in the BSS and runs til 2020, we only get £5k a year!!!! I really need that changing as my finances went into the red big style this season lol

Well he was 35/36 his Hull contract had ran out at first he said he didnt think we had the resources to sign him but i after a while I offered him a contract and he accepted. Once older players are going out of contract I think its easier on this game to sign them

Season 7 - Coca-Cola League 1 2016/17

With the team we had from last season the board and myself wanted more than just fighting against relegation, we all agreed that we should settle for a mid table position. Now that we were in a higher league we could start attracting some decent players and I took full advantage of this in signing a few young foreign free transfers, signing an ageing Keiron Richardson and getting rid of some of the older dead wood in the squad.

Transfers

With my squad I definately knew we could achieve mid table, but I didnt expect us to do so well this season. I would have been happy to just strengthen this season and push for promotion next season, my players knew better and they showed me what they could do.

League Table

League Graph

A great unexpected season ended with one of my defenders selected in the team of the year and with myself coming second in the Manager of the Year awards.

Player in Team of the Year

Manager of the Year (2nd)

Cups

As usual we were pretty poor in the major cup competitions but in the FA Cup we were given a nice 3rd round draw away to Newcastle which gave us some extremely needed income.

FA Cup vs. Newcastle (Away)

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final.

In a tough game against Derby, even though we finnished higher than them in the league the bookies had them as favourites. The game started off pretty quiet, but then in the 35th minute Richardson scored to give us the league. After some encouraging words at half time we struck a second through veteran striker Robak. Then it all seemed to go wrong,(one of those this must be a bug in the game moments but surely could never happen IRL.... or could it?) we gave away 2 penalties. I couldnt believe it and was going mad (almost throwing the monitor out the window) I immediately went into tactics to make some substitutions. Then we conceded again!!! I couldnt believe we had been 2-0 up and just threw it away in the second half. :mad: Then with 14 minutes to go we were awarded a penalty and Taylor put it away 3-3 and into the last part of the match. I was just hoping to hold on and try to win it in extra time but wasnt very confident as my players were tiring. With 3 minutes to go one of the Derby players scored an own goal!!! You just couldnt make this stuff up, what a game! The final whistle went and I was loving it, we went from coasting 2-0 to despair at being 3-2 down and a last minute winner!

Paint Trophy Final

Players

Top Performer - Anise Besse (DC) 7.14 Avr

Top Goalscorer- Billy Sharp (SC) 34 goals

Fans Player of the Year- Billy Sharp (SC)

Another good season from sharp improving in his goals tally from last year, this guy could become the record goalscorer for the club.

Career Overview

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016/17     Coca-Cola League 1        2nd           Promoted, Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners

Nice one. Your going really well.

Billy Sharp has always been a prolific goal scorer whenever i have seen him on FM. But somehow never got a chance at international level. He hasn't really done it in real life since His partnership with Keogh at Scunthorpe a few years back.

Season 8 - Coca-Cola Championship 2017/18

After gaining promotion so quickly again I thought unless I made major investments to the team we would be heading straight back down to league 1. So yet again like all previous seasons I had to wheel and Deal in the free transfer market, this season I found my scouts were finding a lot of decent young talent from france, so after signing a few promising young players and a couple of experienced players from the Uk market I thought we might have a chance of survival.

Transfers

The bookies had us down as favorites for the drop. The board felt likewise, I felt the same but believed we could survive, and if we could then it would be the most important season this club has ever had. With increasing debts we needed to be playing at this level and into the Premiership just to get some of the debt paid off.

I hadnt have worried my players were playing out of their skins for most of the season and did me proud, only to come unstuck in the playoffs to a good Sheff Utd team that beat us convincingly.

League Table

League Graph

After doing so well all season, I thought with a bit of luck we might get a result. But how wrong could I have been, we were totally outclassed and well beaten at home, which made the second leg a non event. With the season over I prepared for the next.

Playoff Semi Leg 1

Playoff Semi Leg 2

Cups

Nothing to report, knocked out at early stages in both competitions.

Attendance Record

With attendances like this, this season if we can generate a bit of financing we could be in line for a new stadium in a few years as my previous attempts asking for expansion are always blocked by the council.

Players

Top Performer - Cosmin Moti (DC) 7.07 Avr

Top Goalscorer- Friedrich Kabongo (SC) 20 goals

Fans Player of the Year- Cosmin Moti (DC)

A great first season in English football for my two young French signings. Long may this form continue and lead Merthyr up the league

Career Overview

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016/17     Coca-Cola League 1        2nd           Promoted, Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners
2017/18     Coca-Cola Championship    6th           Playoff Semi-Finalists

Season 9 - Coca-Cola Championship 2018/19

After last seasons unexpected over achievement, the board wanted a similar season and wanted a good league position, I settled for a top half finnish. Was last season just a one off? Or could we really reproduce?

The board gave us a bit of money and I sold a few of my free transfers for a large profit, wiping away some of the clubs debts and almost getting into the black. Most of my transfer budget went into the wage budget as usual as I again concentrated in getting in free transfers. Probably the best signings were 2 full backs from PSV and Saint Etienne and a good young goal keeper from Liverpool who looked to have bags of potential.

Transfers

I needent have been worried, last season was not a one off, it turned out that these players were better than I expected and with the additions we made we shot towards the top of the table. staying among the top teams for most of the season, with Reading running away with the league, the second automatic promotion slot was still up for grabs and with a few games to go there wasnt much separating five clubs all vying for promotion to the promise land, it was definately Squeaky Bum Time!

League Table

League Graph

But in the end we pulled it of fought off the challenges from the other clubs and finnished 2nd, We're going up, we're going up!!! To the Premiership I could not believe it. It had taken only 9 years but it felt like so much longer, we had finally made it. So close to the goal but still so much work to do. We thought the Championship would have been a challenge but in the end we got lucky and found it easier than we should have. This certainly wouldnt be the case in the Premiership. I just hoped that we could avoid relegation next season and start building a Premiership standard squad.

Our good form this season gave us a New win record.

Cups

Not a lot to report. Reaching the 4th round of the league cup being knocked out by Wolves 2-1 after extra time at home.

Losing to Liverpool away 3-2, in the FA Cup 4th round. Not a great game but gave us some more cash in the bank which was a nice bonus.

Players

Top Performer - Giuliano Corrado (SC) 7.28 Avr

Top Goalscorer- Giuliano Corrado (SC) 31 goals

Fans Player of the Year- Giulioano Corrado (SC)

A fantastic season from our Italian forward in his second season, I would have loved this guy to stay a few more seasons and become a hero but his ambitions were to high and wanted to move to a bigger club :( With his contract running out and him not wanting to renew there were many vultures circling and the enevitable happend and he left on a bosman :mad:

Career Overview

2018/19     Coca-Cola Championship    2nd           Promoted

Thanks Raware, the last two seasons he didnt really play many games after signing two young foreign strikers Kabongo and Corrado. These two guys just kept scoring and when I did put sharp in he didnt perform. So I think it may be time for Sharp to move on, he's getting old now and just wont cut it now i'm in the Premiership. Its a shame because he was only a few goals away from being the clubs record scorer, but after playing over 20 games in our first season in the Championship he only scored 1 goal, I think I will just let him go when his contract runs out.

Season 10 English Premier Division 2019/20

This season could be the toughest yet with odd of 5000-1 to win the Premiership, I think its safe to say that we are strong favorites to get relegated. The board and myself also think this could be quite realistic this season, but this is the board that just keeps giving. With over £5 million in debt the board manage to allocate me a transfer budget of £12 million :D Nice!!!

Now do I spend it all and possibly take this club to financial ruin or save some back just incase we do get relegated? I prefer the first suggestion and blow the whole transfer budget with some shrewd dealings, bringing in some much needed experience and some promising youngsters, while selling off a few players to try to balance the books slightly.

Transfers

With only 1500 seats in our 10000 capacity ground this means that the 8500 standing areas will be out of action and a maximum capacity for us in the Premiership of 1500 is laughable. I immediately ask again for ground expansion, and the board eventually come back with this reply New Stadium. Costing £14million, a capacity of 14712. A nice brand new stadium with good facilities, fantastic! I was hoping to get the stadium named after myself, even though after all this success i've brought i'm still not listed as one of their favourite people :( they decide on the original name of Merthyr Stadium. Whoever they paid to come up with that name surely earnt his money well ;)

I just hoped the load they used to build this stadium wouldnt bankrupt us. I was just lucky that our poor £5k a year kit sponsorship deal ended in a few weeks so we could generate more money from an improved deal.

League Table

League graph

It was a long hard season, but one that I was delighted with. We avoided relegation and finished 17th on the final day of the season. I just couldnt wait for the next season I just hoped by staying in the Premiership we could attract some good talent and maybe unearth a wonderkid or two.

Cups

League Cup - Yet again getting knocked out to Wolves this season 1-3 aet in the 4th round.

FA Cup - Losing in the 4th round to Arsenal, the first game at home ended in an amazing 4-4 draw, we were well beaten in the replay at the Emirates 2-0.

Players

Top Performer - Daniel Andonov (GK) 6.90 Avr

Top Goalscorer- Juan Miguel (AMR/ST) 18 Goals

Fans Player of the Year- Juan Miguel (AMR/ST)

A good solid season from our new striker in his first season in England and hopefully he can improve on this for next season. Our best player was our new goalkeeper which probably tells you the sort of season we had. Our new signing for £5.5 million was brilliant and who I now being tapped up by the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter and AC Milan. Unfortunately he is now unhappy and wants to move to a bigger club. :mad: We will need to keep hold of him for next season if we stand a chance of staying in the League.

International Management

After my first season in the Premiership I thought my rep might have improved enough to try my hand at international management. So towards the end of this season there were a number of international manager casualties. I applied for a few and the only country that were prepared to employ me were the might of Chile. So next season qualifying for the 2022 World Cup will be part of my plans also.

Career Overview

2018/19     Coca-Cola Championship    2nd           Promoted
2019/20     English Premier Division  17th          New Stadium Announced, Appointed Chile Manager

Thanks Terk yea I cannot wait, I just wish they made it a lot bigger though 14000 is still rediculously small for the prem. Never mind tho maybe they will build me another new stadium in a few years, or am I just being greedy :p

Archived