Is It Time For "voice' commentary?

Well,we've seen the evolution of CM\FM and I'm wondering,if the next 'big step' shouldn't be voice commentary instead of text.I remember playing the earlier versions of CM and I wondered ' vow ,how great would it be to actually see the match, lo and behold CM4, wonderful 2D 'dots' running around the field,I was elated. Since then, to be honest I haven't had much to 'cheer about', but I do think, that, if there's something ,that would make me go 'VOW', it would definitely be ' Voice commentary'. What are your views, Guys and Gals out there?

Well,we've seen the evolution of CM\FM and I'm wondering,if the next 'big step' shouldn't be voice commentary instead of text.I remember playing the earlier versions of CM and I wondered ' vow ,how great would it be to actually see the match, lo and behold CM4, wonderful 2D 'dots' running around the field,I was elated. Since then, to be honest I haven't had much to 'cheer about', but I do think, that, if there's something ,that would make me go 'VOW', it would definitely be ' Voice commentary'. What are your views, Guys and Gals out there?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucas Weatherby:

Already been tried with the CM2 days, courtesy of Clive Tylesdsley.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His expert pronunciation of Italian team names in CM2 Italia was great icon_biggrin.gif

hehe I can still remember that commentary now.

"And he crosses it long to the far post..."

*30 seconds later*

"He meets it with a header"

*10 seconds later*

"The keeper parries"

*20 seconds later*

"And it goes out for a corner"

And the text commentary would also be quicker. So while you were halfway across the room celebrating your goal, you would then hear him go "And its a goal"

I doubt it will happen, if only because of the translation problem. It's not just hiring Andy Gray, its hiring a commentator for every language pack...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeadZone:

The problem is, like most games that use voice commentary, it would get really repetitive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a massive problem in game development.

If you're going to include rare events, you have to include commentary for rare events. If you have commentary for rare events, its going to stand out in peoples minds. If it happens twice, its very blindingly obvious.

Premier Manager '98: "That reminds me of '66! Off the bar and in!"

... Every single time a goal scores after the ball clips the crossbar. I can still hear it, exactly, in my head.

On the other hand, you don't want to have your commentator spend hours and hours recording volumes worth of commentary which most people won't hear.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KK2003:

I think the problem with this is that it could only be used if people watched the games in 'real time'. If you had highlights on at a fast speed for example it would be no use to have voice commentary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another very good point against.

(KK, you can get your Warning removed by e-mailing mods at sigames dot com.)

Voice commentary is rubbish in almost all games that decide to use it, combined with the other reasons such as the amount of languages needed, most people don't watch the full match, and most the people that do wouldn't want it anyway.

I couldn't think of an addition I'd want less.

• SI Staff

Would be some work recording the names of the 200,000-odd players in the database in the many languages that we have in the game now. And that's before even thinking about the commentary. icon_wink.gif

I don't think we can compare it with the likes of Pro Evo either as it has a small amount of teams and players in comparison.

Should just replace player names with "He" and team names with "They" - in combination with the text commentary that's all that's needed.

Then all you need is someone with an honours degree in Music Technology to do the recording icon_wink.gif

I really don't think it would work for FM. It would be fun for a couple games, then it would get turned off.

Plus i'm guilty of doing my own commentary. I like to speak with English accent and round off the results of Champions league.

I live a sad life. icon_frown.gificon_wink.gif

Voice commentary might not be the best idea, but I'd love to see better fan cheering/booing according to the team performance. That could make the game more fun.

I notice that with larger stadium and attendance, the volume is higher but it's still pretty much the same sound throughout the match.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Macyst:

Voice commentary might not be the best idea, but I'd love to see better fan cheering/booing according to the team performance. That could make the game more fun.

I notice that with larger stadium and attendance, the volume is higher but it's still pretty much the same sound throughout the match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you should download Furney's soundpack - check the link in the editor's forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Would be some work recording the names of the 200,000-odd players in the database in the many languages that we have in the game now. And that's before even thinking about the commentary. icon_wink.gif

I don't think we can compare it with the likes of Pro Evo either as it has a small amount of teams and players in comparison. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

either do it right or dont do it at all. If it looks too much for SI then lets forget it. I dont think many will miss it much in first place.

saying commentary is useless just because you don't play with sounds is pretty much ignorant as saying slovenian league is useless because you never play there.

1st basically, i'd love to hear crowd sounds done properly and officially as third parties addon's haven't worked for me.

2nd If live commentary could be done well, and i mean not repetitive it would be great enhancement to matchday experience.

It doesn't matter if commentary is done by a professional or just some guy.

It doesn't need to be done with all language pacs, english would be great for start and to see how it goes on.

also, i wouldn't mind if commentator just said him instead of players name because after while it will mostly be regens.

cheers, hope it gets done in few years, after that - 3d

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

Call me ancient, but I have the fondest memories of the voice commentary in SWOS.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't remember voice commentry in SWOS!

Anyway I think commentry would get irritating after a few games and it would take a hell of a lot of time. I think that there are other things we would rather like.

I have two problems with the use of voice commentary.

1) It would be pretty unrealistic if you just got the same voice for every game ever, from now until whenever you decide to quit.

2) I watch the matches as a manager, not a fan in an armchair or a pub. I don't want to be able to hear commentary.

My favourite line from the CM3 commentary

'The early ball's a good ball he's caught them unaware'

I actually liked the commentary as I was able to work away from my desk and run back if I heard a goal had been scored - now I have to pay more attention to the matches while i'm at work icon_smile.gif

Hell no, voice commentary is poor by default. It always comes out stilted and limited by the number of phrases that can be recorded (whilst massively increasing development costs, disk space etc. at zero to minimal benefit to the player)

Furthermore, editing the current commentary is a walk in the park; not so for audio samples.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by errol:

Well,we've seen the evolution of CM\FM and I'm wondering,if the next 'big step' shouldn't be voice commentary instead of text.I remember playing the earlier versions of CM and I wondered ' vow ,how great would it be to actually see the match, lo and behold CM4, wonderful 2D 'dots' running around the field,I was elated. Since then, to be honest I haven't had much to 'cheer about', but I do think, that, if there's something ,that would make me go 'VOW', it would definitely be ' Voice commentary'. What are your views, Guys and Gals out there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO it isnt and never will be it would not work.

what it is time for however is a new match engine!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(KK, you can get your Warning removed by e-mailing mods at sigames dot com.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah so that's how you do it! I assumed it would go away automatically when it expired.

Cheers for the tip icon_smile.gificon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by errol:

Well,we've seen the evolution of CM\FM and I'm wondering,if the next 'big step' shouldn't be voice commentary instead of text.I remember playing the earlier versions of CM and I wondered ' vow ,how great would it be to actually see the match, lo and behold CM4, wonderful 2D 'dots' running around the field,I was elated. Since then, to be honest I haven't had much to 'cheer about', but I do think, that, if there's something ,that would make me go 'VOW', it would definitely be ' Voice commentary'. What are your views, Guys and Gals out there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can just imagine that when playing on fastest speed highlights icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

id prefer a 3d match before voice commentry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't say I'd be too keen over either. The 2D match engine is far more useful to see what's going on in the match - you get a perfect top down view, which many real world managers use (on various computer programs, ProZone, etc).

Much more difficult to spot player's movements and tacticaly set-ups in a 3D engine. Nice eye candy it may be, but nothing more.

I have to agree it would be annoying to the extreme. Most of the time they haven't got a clue what they're rambling on about. Whenever I watch a game on tv I usually turn the sound off as the commentary bores me. Just where does Tyldsley get off thinking he's funny.

And Motson, everytime England plays and spudhead Rooney gets anywhere near the ball you'd think he'd just climaxed.

Makes me want to hurl.

Great to see and read your views.I wonder, what were the comments,when the thought of the 2D presentation was mentioned?I expect much of it was analogical to what is now being presented in regards to this idea.As we all know 'the first step is the hardest'SI has shown over the years, that they are not daunted by such challenges. I could subscribe to one opinion stated earlier,that we can give it a try with English commentary and then take it from there.If I remember correctly,we didn't have such a variety of language versions a few years ago.I say 'go for it'

I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that

See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif

Yes, what a great idea, because during the title decider, many managers out there tune in to their tv's from the bench, just to, you know, add more of a sense of occasion...

Easily one of the worst ideas I've ever heard, it's a management sim, not like F**A or P**Evo where the idea is to make the viewer/player believe they are watching tv.

CM2 voice commentary haha my god that was terrible but ahh the memories.

I think the next thing FM really needs in terms of upgrading has to be the 3d pitch. I recently played a demo of a competitor *cough* CM *cough* and I hate watching the game on the pitch but the way they've done it is fantastic it really is and if FM were to implement something along these lines icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tottenham2k7:

so sit back

get fat

wear a big wooly hat

and pretend your john motson icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Throw in a bucketload of worthless stats that have a 1/10000000 relevence to the actual game, that ridiculous chuckle of his, and you would have a dead ringer!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by schuey100:

I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that I think the problem would be that

See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif See where I'm going with this? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think i do icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

Yes, what a great idea, because during the title decider, many managers out there tune in to their tv's from the bench, just to, you know, add more of a sense of occasion...

Easily one of the worst ideas I've ever heard, it's a management sim, not like F**A or P**Evo where the idea is to make the viewer/player believe they are watching tv. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that managers, read 'text commentary' when sitting on the bench either,so why have it in the game?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't think that managers, read 'text commentary' when sitting on the bench either,so why have it in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But then again Managers dont have to listen to an audible commentary either do they?

I still agree with an earlier poster in that unless there were literally hundreds of thousands of lines (a logistical nightmare to accomplish as well as being very expensive) you would eventually turn it off after an hours game time due to the fact it was annoying the hell out of you.

Archived