Stopping the long range strikes?

Has anyone been able to find a successful way of stopping these crazy long strike goals in FM10? I get one almost every game, and its driving me crazy... The opposition player gets the ball 5-6 yards out of the penalty area, dribbles a little and blasts one in the top corner. I would understand a couple of these but almost every game is too insane. Looking back about 65-70% of the goals that the opposition has scored against me are these types of goals. I have tried pressing more/less, moving the D line forward/back, but not with much luck.

I saw lots of other people are complaining about this but in the long discussions I haven't been able to see a solution or concrete ideas to stop these.

PS. I'm playing with Man. Utd. and I have pretty solid defenders in my squad, other than the original Ferdinand/Vidic/Evans/Evra I have acquired Chiellini and Zapata.

Zapata is awful this year, I wouldn't have bothered with him.

Play a defensive midfielder like Owen Hardgreaves or Angelo Palombo as he has good strength and tackling abilities. Pick out the players who are taking the long range shots and tell your team to close them down or put them on their weaker foot, this should go towards closing the space available for them to shoot.

You could always play a 4-5-1 and pack the midfield that way to reduce space but it affects your own passing as well, especially if you're on a narrow pitch.

I'm unconvinced that this long range shooting thing is a bug atm as I've not seen anyone say they play a DMC and have this issue. Of course, I've been wrong before lol.

Zapata is awful this year, I wouldn't have bothered with him.

Play a defensive midfielder like Owen Hardgreaves or Angelo Palombo as he has good strength and tackling abilities. Pick out the players who are taking the long range shots and tell your team to close them down or put them on their weaker foot, this should go towards closing the space available for them to shoot.

You could always play a 4-5-1 and pack the midfield that way to reduce space but it affects your own passing as well, especially if you're on a narrow pitch.

I'm unconvinced that this long range shooting thing is a bug atm as I've not seen anyone say they play a DMC and have this issue. Of course, I've been wrong before lol.

Agreed. I play with De Rossi as an Anchor Man and I never concede any long range goals.

Mind you, about 60% of my goals come from long range though. Even with the Work Ball Into Box instruction applied at all times. It's nice at the beginning but it gets boring after a while.

Agreed. I play with De Rossi as an Anchor Man and I never concede any long range goals.

Mind you, about 60% of my goals come from long range though. Even with the Work Ball Into Box instruction applied at all times. It's nice at the beginning but it gets boring after a while.

Just because it is solved by using a DM doesnt mean it isnt a genuine issue, as it pretty much means playing a regular 442 is a no-no unless you want to risk lots of long range goals.

Also as mentioned in other threads players take far too many long range shots- regardless of instructions or other options- this makes the percentages of long range shots going in look better.

It needs to be fixed.

well the AI isn't able to read the ME in that way, and it suffers the long distance goals same as human users. the problem is in ME not tacics.

while human users are able to reduce long distance goals using tactical instructions and diffrenet formations, AI isn't. and that's the problem.

Try asking the assistant to set opposition instructions before EVERY game. That worked wonders for me as he sets almost all of the midfielders and attackers on to 'show onto weaker foot'.

I'm using OIs every match and I'm sure AI does also. it helps but it defenetly doesn't make wonders (especially in formations that don't have DM).

Try asking the assistant to set opposition instructions before EVERY game. That worked wonders for me as he sets almost all of the midfielders and attackers on to 'show onto weaker foot'.

Agreed, but make sure you cancel out all his 'hard tackling' instructions, else you'll be giving away a penalty every game!

Actually, I'm playing a flat 442 formation with Forest so no DMC. I'm top of the premiership after 9 games, scoring 17, conceding 7 and unbeaten. It is a few seasons in though so I've built up a pretty strong team.

And I don't cancel out the 'hard tackling' instructions, in fact I tend to add a few. It works wonders on 'spineless' players lol.

Just because it is solved by using a DM doesnt mean it isnt a genuine issue, as it pretty much means playing a regular 442 is a no-no unless you want to risk lots of long range goals.

Also as mentioned in other threads players take far too many long range shots- regardless of instructions or other options- this makes the percentages of long range shots going in look better.

It needs to be fixed.

I think you're misinterpreting my post there.

For starters, I never said it wasn't an issue, in fact in my last sentence I actually express my frustration about scoring too much from long range shots. I've also noticed that even with the Work Ball Into Box instruction players tend to shoot at goal from outside the box even when somebody else is in a much better position inside the box. I have mentioned that in different threads.

Off-topic: Who the hell still plays a regular 4-4-2 nowadays IRL? You might be able to come up with a few examples of teams who play a regular 4-4-2 formation ON PAPER, but even if that is so most teams will then play with an attacking central midfielder and a holding midfielder, making it a diamond formation in reality.

Besides, it's the players that make the formation, not where you put them. The best managers don't care about formations. As long as the best possible team is on the pitch, it's fine.

I didn't know Kevin Keegan posted on these forums!

I'm unemployed son. I have plenty of time to kill ;)

On-topic: What I meant to say was: I'll explain it by using Guus Hiddink as an example; the man uses a different formation for every team that he works with. He adapts the formation to the players he has under his disposal, not otherwise. In fact, most of his formations that I've seen are as asymmetric as postmodern architecture.

It's impossible to stop them as the tactical system in this game doesn't allow you to do anything but to tell a player "you are a defender" "you are a midfielder".

Question : "Im conceding too many goals"

Answer "You have to tell your midfielders to change from Attacking role to defending role"

Question : "Im not scoring"

Answer : "Tell your midfielders to play attacking role "

Question : "My defenders are all the time in a bad position"

Answer : "Put more defenders"

And the best answer of all:

"You have to read 123123 pages of tactic theorems to figure out how to stop a player"

Your lucky I lost a game 4-1 all four goals were 30-35 yarders. After first two went in I changed to hassle opponents and get stuck in. To no effect. Arggh!!

Same here (I score 3 goals though...even more painful).

The best part is, the 4 goals come from 4 players, and 3 of them haven't scored that season yet. Super long shots combined with 3 "First goal of the season!!" just frustrated the hell out of me....

Archived