Have i just been kicked out of champs league

I have just finished my first season with liverpool and i acheived fourth place in the league, to which i was told i had qualified for the Champions League, i then won the FA cup and received a message stating i had qualified for the EURO cup, i thought nothing of it as i assumed i would be in the Champs league. I have just been drawn in the qualifying rounds of the EURO cup and not the Champions League. Is this a bug? As i'm sure no matter what cup you win if you qualify for the Champions League through the league, youre in. I am in a lot of debt with Liverpool and this is not going to help the cause losing champions league money. Anyone else had this happen?

Did an English team win the Champions League and finish below you in the league? They will take the 4th qualifying place.

Oh yes! I never thought of that, Arsenal came 5th but won the CL. I remember this happening a few years ago with Liverpool and Everton. Cheers mate.

Did an English team win the Champions League and finish below you in the league? They will take the 4th qualifying place.
Oh yes! I never thought of that, Arsenal came 5th but won the CL. I remember this happening a few years ago with Liverpool and Everton. Cheers mate.

I don't think that did happen. The FA stated that they wouldn't take the place away from Everton and so UEFA allowed Liverpool to join the Champions League, as defending champions, but at a relatively early qualifying stage so the next year we had five teams in the Champions League.

I haven't looked this up or anything, I just seem to remember this happening. There was a lot of jokes going around at the time that Liverpool were going to take Everton's qualifying place despite finishing fifth. Obviously that might have been just a smidge controversial.

If the rules have changed since that time it has passed me by! Can anyone confirm what the real life rule is at the moment?

I don't think that did happen. The FA stated that they wouldn't take the place away from Everton and so UEFA allowed Liverpool to join the Champions League, as defending champions, but at a relatively early qualifying stage so the next year we had five teams in the Champions League.

I haven't looked this up or anything, I just seem to remember this happening. There was a lot of jokes going around at the time that Liverpool were going to take Everton's qualifying place despite finishing fifth. Obviously that might have been just a smidge controversial.

If the rules have changed since that time it has passed me by! Can anyone confirm what the real life rule is at the moment?

Ye, Uefa said as an exception 5 places would go to English teams in 2005 as this had not been accounted for in the qualification rules but in future the 4th slot would be given to the CL winners instead of 4th league ranking team if this situation came up again.

In 2005 when Liverpool won the CL but finished 5th, the FA refused to award Liverpool Evertons 4th and final EPL entry for next seasons CL. So - UEFA awarded some obscure european team that had qualified for the 1st qualifying stage of CL, Liverpools direct place in next seasons UEFA cup - in return for Liverpool being given the chance to qualify for next seasons CL (as they were the holders).

UEFA has since overided this rule so that if the winner of the competition does not finish in a leagues qualifying position (i.e. top 4 in EPL), then they are awarded the 4th position teams entry - like what has unfortunatley happened to the OP.

United finished a shocking 9th on my FM09 save, but they won the Champions League that year.

The funniest thing was, a shock Wigan took 4th place. :eek: Unfortunately for them, they didn't get CL football :p

In 2005 when Liverpool won the CL but finished 5th, the FA refused to award Liverpool Evertons 4th and final EPL entry for next seasons CL. So - UEFA awarded some obscure european team that had qualified for the 1st qualifying stage of CL, Liverpools direct place in next seasons UEFA cup - in return for Liverpool being given the chance to qualify for next seasons CL (as they were the holders).

UEFA has since overided this rule so that if the winner of the competition does not finish in a leagues qualifying position (i.e. top 4 in EPL), then they are awarded the 4th position teams entry - like what has unfortunatley happened to the OP.

Ahh fair enough. I didn't realise that the Liverpool problem caused a rule change. So if Everton now got fourth and Liverpool CL win we can expect some comedy then. Would probably help if Liverpool were looking like qualifying for the knock-out stages though.

Archived