FM10 is immense... Apart from 1 single aspect

Absolutely loving the game so far. theres just one thing thats ****ing me off a little

now, i dont mind getting done on the counter attack but when my team have a corner and i have the few defenders i ask to stay back standing about 5 yards inside my oppositions half and the opposition striker standing on the halfway line, the ball gets cleared, goes over the heads of my stupid defenders to their striker who has a clear run on goal it really annoys me.

something to look at for a future patch....unless there is an tactic option to give my defenders some common sense?

I don't think this is funny any more. It's like the people that were still saying 'waaazzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuuppppppppppp' from the Buweiser adverts long after that stopped being funny and the adverts were no longer on tv.

And then they even brought out a fudging song :p!!!

My main gripe is with the conceding of 30 yard 90+ min goals.

I'm not a novice on FM and I am well aware it's probably my tactics, but to concede 3 times this season in the 5 games I've played and it is a bit beyond my thoughts of how to combat.

Yeah i posted reagrding the horrendous amount of injury time goals i was losing, but was told 'it was my tactics'. I honestly believe the match engine is deeply flawed. SI have already said defending/closing down and tackling will be improved for patch 2 so i'm playing FM09 till then rather than try in vain to battle against this joke of a game.

That said, i've no doubt that FM10 after the final patch will be the best version of the game to date but at the minute for me it's just unplayable.

My problems:

Tackling/Closing Down (or lack of)

Ratio of one-to-ones scored/missed. This MAY just be me, but my strikers score about 1 in 5? Seems a bit low?

Long Shots - probably will be less frequent if closing down is fixed, but it's annoying when a crap player with low attributes scores from 30 yards.

Scoring from corners - I can't find a single way to do it. I'm not looking for the 'corner tactic' like on FM08 (I had Vidic score 20 goals in one season) but right now in about 12 games this season I've got none from corners.

My problems:

Ratio of one-to-ones scored/missed. This MAY just be me, but my strikers score about 1 in 5? Seems a bit low?

Long Shots - probably will be less frequent if closing down is fixed, but it's annoying when a crap player with low attributes scores from 30 yards.

Scoring from corners - I can't find a single way to do it. I'm not looking for the 'corner tactic' like on FM08 (I had Vidic score 20 goals in one season) but right now in about 12 games this season I've got none from corners.

Regarding the corners comment i do agree. It's now impossible to score from them. Maybe it's just my imagination but it looks like a big effort has been made by SI to stop it. I used my routine from FM09 which got me 20+ a season for FM10 and the corners were indeed being delivered right onto the head of the striker i'd designated to score them but oddly the headers had no power in them or they went miles over...yet the same player was scoring headers for fun off crosses in open play.

Surprised this wasn't the first response.

Why because that's the crap people usually post or you really do think it's his tactics?

If it's the latter then that implies there's nothing wrong with the game, which isn't the case. SI have already said defending/closing down and tackling will be improved for patch 2 so there clearly is a problem here. Makes me smile to myself when people try to solve some of the issues thrown up by the game with reasonable logic! It's like turning up after an earthquake to clean up with a dustpan and brush. In reality it's the game engine that needs to be tweaked, not our tactics.

tbf to the "its your tactics" responders, your post hardly gave much info

theres a few factors that would influence your situ

your defenders anticipation, concentration, pace

marking, zonal or man, tight or loose

defensive line

quality of your op, torres is a prime example of pace and off the ball that causes havoc in that type of situation

each have a factor in how youll defend against counter attacks

My problems:

Regarding the corners comment i do agree. It's now impossible to score from them. Maybe it's just my imagination but it looks like a big effort has been made by SI to stop it. I used my routine from FM09 which got me 20+ a season for FM10 and the corners were indeed being delivered right onto the head of the striker i'd designated to score them but oddly the headers had no power in them or they went miles over...yet the same player was scoring headers for fun off crosses in open play.

Regarding scoring from corners, it's your tactics, really. I, in two seasons, have scored around 15 goals from corners each season.

Perhaps the exploit from '08/'09 doesn't work anymore, I hadn't tried it. I think that was, what, having a guy challenge the keeper or something?

Anyway, as I said, I'm doing excellent from corners with goals coming from a variety of players. Score from Near post, far post, attacking from deep, attacking the posts, and even little Defoe has snuck in and got a loose ball or two during a corner.

Regarding scoring from corners, it's your tactics, really. I, in two seasons, have scored around 15 goals from corners each season.

Perhaps the exploit from '08/'09 doesn't work anymore, I hadn't tried it. I think that was, what, having a guy challenge the keeper or something?

Anyway, as I said, I'm doing excellent from corners with goals coming from a variety of players. Score from Near post, far post, attacking from deep, attacking the posts, and even little Defoe has snuck in and got a loose ball or two during a corner.

I agree - scoring from corners are still possible, just not as easy as in 09. 11 goals in 34 matches this season(cups and league), 11 in 34 matches last season(league only).

22 goals in 68 matches seems just about right to me.

No really, you just need to set up your attacking corners well.

Off the top of my head, I believe my corners are set up thusly for my Spurs team:

DR - Stay Back

DL - Stay Back

DCr - Attack Near Post

DCl - Stand on Far Post

MCd - Attack From Deep

MCs - Go Forward (I think), could be Stay Back if Needed

AMR - Lurk Outside Area

AML - Lurk Outside Area

TM - Near Post Flick-Ons

ST - Go Forward

Works well for me. I get goals from Crouch , Bassong (DCl), Jorgensen (DCr), Palacios (MCd) and even the odd goal from Defoe sneaking in to put home a loose ball.

The AMR/AML is usually the one taking the corner for my team. The one not taking the corner often gets the ball when it's cleared out of the area and is able to quickly set up another scoring opportunity. I've gotten a few goals from that, as well. Dunno if that counts toward the corners total.

However, it depends on your team as well. The players you have make a big difference and sometimes I change things depending on who I have in the game (i.e. if I'm starting Keane/Defoe then I change the TM part)

just finished my first season and gotta admit, am absoluttely loving fm10 so far.

i ended up putting a few more people back when i have an attacking corner, which seems to help.

and be honest, there have only been minor little things that ive noticed in terms of bugs. i'll list them just because although i don't really care if they're not looked at:

1. my picture profile dissapeared the 2nd time i loaded fm up and has been gone ever since...is there anyway i can get this back?

2. i kept changing my captain - chris hargreavess' - status from backup to first team player and it kept changing back automatically to a back-up!! a little annoying, does the game just assume that because he's 37 he cant possibly be a first team player!!!?

3. i appealed against a red card for one of my players, then when it said the ban had been extended to a 3 game ban, it also said that i had decided not to appeal against the ban!?

tbf to the "its your tactics" responders, your post hardly gave much info

theres a few factors that would influence your situ

your defenders anticipation, concentration, pace

marking, zonal or man, tight or loose

defensive line

quality of your op, torres is a prime example of pace and off the ball that causes havoc in that type of situation

each have a factor in how youll defend against counter attacks

None of that should matter though. It's a very basic rule of defending that you don't let the opposition get behind the back line while onside. If the striker is on the half way line at least one of the players set to stay back should be goal side of him regardless of any other settings.

None of that should matter though. It's a very basic rule of defending that you don't let the opposition get behind the back line while onside. If the striker is on the half way line at least one of the players set to stay back should be goal side of him regardless of any other settings.

Yes they should stay goal side but remember a lot of footballers are not the brightest.

Also a certain Wigan centre back fails quite often at the very basics of defending. Rio Ferdinand let the ball drift over his head in an international match recently leading to a goal (IIRC) and Richard Dunne did it against the French on Saturday but got lucky that the striker was offside. Again basics which the pros do get wrong.

Play the lower leagues if you want to see an ineresting take on defending.:thup:

Corners are not broken at all.

I'm playing as Arsenal who are one of the smallest squads in the EPL and I'm getting plenty of goals from corners. My set-up is as follows

DL = Stay Back

DR = Stay Back

CD = Challange GK

CD = Go Forward

DM = Back If Needed

MCd = Lurk outside area

AMR = Attack Near Post

AMC = Lurk Outside area (this player is my corner taker though)

FCd = Go Forward

FCa = Stand on Far Post

My logic behind this set-up come from a thread in the Tatics Forum, which if you can find it is well worth a read. In brief, if you have all your players set to the same place for every corner then the AI will quickly suss out how to shut you out, where as you have two (possibly 3) people on just Go Forward then they will go where they see fit. I'd guess that the important stats for this are Off The Ball and Positioning to take up the best places in the box so that the AI will find it hard to pick them up.

Hope that helps a little.

Yes they should stay goal side but remember a lot of footballers are not the brightest.

Also a certain Wigan centre back fails quite often at the very basics of defending. Rio Ferdinand let the ball drift over his head in an international match recently leading to a goal (IIRC) and Richard Dunne did it against the French on Saturday but got lucky that the striker was offside. Again basics which the pros do get wrong.

Play the lower leagues if you want to see an ineresting take on defending.:thup:

Players, even top players, sometimes make positional errors. This should be represented in the game. However, some things are so basic that players should just not get them wrong.

In my life I have watched around 250 games, mostly at Blue Square South or Ryman League level. I have also played in around 20 games at a (poor) Sunday League level. In all those games I have never seen a striker on the half way line at a corner being ignored by the opposition.

Players, even top players, sometimes make positional errors. This should be represented in the game. However, some things are so basic that players should just not get them wrong.

In my life I have watched around 250 games, mostly at Blue Square South or Ryman League level. I have also played in around 20 games at a (poor) Sunday League level. In all those games I have never seen a striker on the half way line at a corner being ignored by the opposition.

I remember one Sunday league game I played in we were getting thumped and our goalkeeper was at fault for a lot of the goals and kept blaming the defence (he was about 6 foot 4 and was lobbed when he was on his line) so the defence kept letting the opposition strikers run through. The manager wasn't too happy but we enjoyed it.

I remember one Sunday league game I played in we were getting thumped and our goalkeeper was at fault for a lot of the goals and kept blaming the defence (he was about 6 foot 4 and was lobbed when he was on his line) so the defence kept letting the opposition strikers run through. The manager wasn't too happy but we enjoyed it.

You're missing the point completely. The issue here is what happens after a corner is cleared and the opposition team gain possession. No player told to stay back for a corner would ever leave the central area he is covering where an attacker is until the centre halfs had recovered. Bromley Raven is talking about this, not general defensive errors etc. This is not in any way subjective and is as others have said an issue regardless of tactics.

For what it's worth to the opening poster and others complaining, there is a thread in the Bugs forum and it is apparently a known issue and is under review.

Archived