Tactical Changes - Too Slow

I absolutely hate tactical changes in FM10.

To begin with, the power that the AI gets from changing formation is ridiculous. But this isn't a post about that.

The way the game implements tactical changes is just ridiculous. You have to wait, quite often minutes, for the changes to take place. This in itself is bad enough because for a number of key moments you are playing against an AI with their massively increased tactical boost. But what's worse is that by the time my changes are implemented, the other team has quite often scored already, rendering all my changes useless. I then find myself having to play out another period of the game with the wrong tactic while I wait for my second lot of changes to be implemented.

Once more, the other day I used up my last two subs and clicked confirm. The tactical change then proceeded to occur after one of my players got badly injured and had to be replaced. And guess what! I couldn't replace him. EVEN though I had not, at the time of the injury occurring, used up all my substitutes. It's completely ridiculous.

I strongly agree with that. The way I set up the match day is, highlights on Key and the speed quit high. And i find the above post covers my grievances.

Watching the computer swap between 2 tactics quicker than I can move the mouse or the game can switch to the tactics screen.

No doubt people will tell me to slow the game down, but thats not the right answer.

I have, on several occasions made changes, gone back to watching the highlights only to watch in despair as the other team wins a corner and is allowed to take it (and often score) before my changes are implemented!!!

Grrrrr!!!! :(

You do realise that it's supposed to mimic real life? The idea being that the changes take place when there's a suitable break in play, which is when the coach would IRL have the opportunity to talk to his players and give them new instructions. I don't remember any team suddenly switching shape and style of play instantly and in perfect synchronisation IRL. Usually, it takes a break in play before the captain can run to the dugout to get briefed and then has to pass the changes on to his teammates.

You do realise that it's supposed to mimic real life? The idea being that the changes take place when there's a suitable break in play, which is when the coach would IRL have the opportunity to talk to his players and give them new instructions. I don't remember any team suddenly switching shape and style of play instantly and in perfect synchronisation IRL. Usually, it takes a break in play before the captain can run to the dugout to get briefed and then has to pass the changes on to his teammates.

When in real life, when you've gone a goal down, does the captain run to the dugout to be instructed to play more defensively because you want to hold onto the point? In FM, this is exactly what happens when you concede a goal during the time you made the change and the time it was applied into the game.

When in real life, when a player is unable to continue, and the coach has two substitutes free, does he instruct those two substitutes to be used on fit players, leaving his team with just 10 men.

That is not real life at all.

Touchline shouts should only take effect when the ball is out of play?

Oh deary me.

Touchline shouts should only take effect when the ball is out of play?

Oh deary me.

I've had touchline shouts pending for an entire half and only being implemented in the second half. I'm am also sick of conceding as the game waits to make changes, it's happened to me since FM05 and it happens to often not to be a bug.

Yea - the mount of times it's gotten to the 70th minute and I want to make changes - but before they take effect the opposition have scored.

To make it worse, the assistant likes to remind me in backroom meetings that we conceded most of our goals in the 76th to 90th minutes! - well yes, of course we do, the game won't let me make the damned substitutions/tweaks in time!

No they can't. They just "pressed the button" before you did. AI teams can only make subs in stoppages too. That's the way the ME works.

1. I change my tactic.

2. The ball goes out of play.

3. AI changes tactics.

4. Play is resumed.

5. Ball goes out again.

6. My tactic is changed.

I've had touchline shouts pending for an entire half and only being implemented in the second half. I'm am also sick of conceding as the game waits to make changes, it's happened to me since FM05 and it happens to often not to be a bug.

That's just a UI issue, in which the pending message continues for too long. They are implemented pretty much immediately.

People need to realise how the ME works. It plays through the match, then represents it on screen during a second play through. The first play through allows it to identify the highlights for the second play through. However, every time you make a change, it then reprocesses the match. Thus, if you click 'work ball into box' it reprocesses the whole match with that shout added to your tactics, with action and scores recalculated.

When it is showing a highlight, it is, in effect, showing something that has already happened. It is just a visual run through of the pre-calculated events. That highlight is thus predetermined. Although you can change things, you cannot do so until the highlight has fully run. Any subs, shouts or other tactical changes you make require the current action to stop running before the ME can reprocess. It's not a bug but an unavoidable restriction of the AI/ME/coding. There's no other way the game can work.

Archived