4-4-2

How many years can you play this formation? I'm in my 3rd season and it's becoming obsolete. My first season playing it, I overachieved and finished 3rd in the Prem with Everton as well as losing the Uefa cup final. My second season I scrapped 5th and now I'm struggling.

As long as you have the right players for a 4-4-2 system their's no reason that the formation can't remain successful indefinately, you just have to make changes to the tactical instructions within your formation, as the ai teams will start to figure out the best way to play against you formation and tactics, I'd suggest maybe playing a deeper, narrower 4-4-2 with short passing and an emphasis on retaining posession to get things back on track.

As long as you have the right players for a 4-4-2 system their's no reason that the formation can't remain successful indefinately, you just have to make changes to the tactical instructions within your formation, as the ai teams will start to figure out the best way to play against you formation and tactics, I'd suggest maybe playing a deeper, narrower 4-4-2 with short passing and an emphasis on retaining posession to get things back on track.

I don't really see how this translate to RL as a team that is dominating should play as wide as possible to create space to play in.

I don't really see how this translate to RL as a team that is dominating should play as wide as possible to create space to play in.

Yes but the op said he is no longer dominating and his 4-4-2 is starting to struggle now, so a more defensive, posession based strategy seems to me to be what is required here.

Yes but the op said he is no longer dominating and his 4-4-2 is starting to struggle now, so a more defensive, posession based strategy seems to me to be what is required here.

To be honest. The defensive approach did come into my mind; although I still think that SI favours attacking formations but I want to make one that is strong defensively and retains possesion until an opening appears. I'm researching Arrigo Sacchi's 80s Milan side as I think they played like that.

It depends on how he is struggling, are teams parking the bus or is the team getting outplayed and beaten?

There's loads of ways to improve, have a look at your squads abilities, maybe sign a left footed right winger and vice versa and use them as inside forwards, means you essentially have 4 2 4 going forward and 4 4 2 when you're on the back foot. That's my 2 cents. Everyone is different however.

Archived