Suspending my career for now.

I think I'm going to suspend playing this until at least the next patch is released. The issues I seem to be having so far are

1. Actually getting my players to close down and tacjkle, not matter what instructions/tactics I use they just love backing off!

2. A really tedious tendency to be beaten by 30 yard scremers every game by the opposition. The pattern seems to be 1-1 up until about the 75th minute and the opposition bangs in a 30 yard wonder goals. It's just happening too often to be credible.

And yeah, I know...it's my tactics.

Agree with the OP here. Most of the time my defenders actually run away from the ball or just stand there without making any effort to win it. That, the constant injury time goals against me and the long range screamers i conceeded are ruining my gaming experience.

I've just reinstalled FM09 and have carried on with my Liverpool in 2023. Watching the 3D engine i was very happy to see my players mark and tackle the opposition! They hassle the other team and fight for the ball. I see nothing like this in FM10. I'll give it another go after patch 2 but for me this is the worst FM since CM4 and in it's current state a career game is impossible.

Your defenders run away from the ball?

Mine (Mexes in particular) just like to lunge themselves at the man and get red carded!

Have you tried using the touchline shout "Stay on your feet"? I found that my players were getting cards all over until I used this shout - now I have a really good discipline record on several saves I've been playing.

I love the game but I do have to point out the freakin penalties. I just did a count and in 4 seasons (including shootouts) there have been 121 pens. With one save, and three missed. 117-4 conversion rate? wtf is that about?

I'm holding off too. I tried really hard to love the game, but after a while nothing I did worked. I would have a great tactic for 5 games and then suddenly it would become completely useless. Not just a little bit worse, completely useless. Suddenly teams would start scoring screamers and my defenders wouldn't defend. I don't mind if there's something tactical I'm missing, but in these situations, there is nothing you can do but blindly change things around.

The most frustrating part of any game like this, is when things go wrong and there is NOTHING you can do about it, and no where in the game that tells you why it is happening.

I kinda agree with the tackling issue, my defenders occasionally just stand there watching players run past but I found a simple solution to the 30yrd goals is to play a deep DMC. They usually close down players outside of the box, it stopped the goals for me.

But if you want to stop playing, be my guest lol.

I kinda agree with the tackling issue, my defenders occasionally just stand there watching players run past but I found a simple solution to the 30yrd goals is to play a deep DMC. They usually close down players outside of the box, it stopped the goals for me.

But if you want to stop playing, be my guest lol.

using DM is just a quick fix which AI isn't able to do and that's what makes the ME totally unrealistic for me. look at the amount of 30 yard screemers in AI vs AI matches and you'll see what I'm talking about.

you don't see many managers in real life aplying a DM just becouse they want to stop opp to score from distance.

i was playing the cl leauge againest real madrid i was 3-0 up after 30 min .then all of a sudden rio and vidic got straight reds within the space of 5 min one of these was for a penalty which real scored .so half time i was 3-1 up .after adjusting my team after the red cards i bought on johnny evans .after 5 mins into the hlaf evans got sent off ,of course real went on to win 5-3 .i had my tackling set to normal .i was so fed up i turned the game off without saving after around 4 hours of non stop play .any one had a proublem like this or was it a once off thing.was it just because i was playing real .anyone...................................

Ill be honest - I havent seen this at all. Seen a few other annoying match engine hicups, but my defenders never seem to stand off the opposition and I tend to conceed from headed goals more than anything (my fault entirely for buying skillful defenders that cant jump - obviously all suffering from woody harrelson syndrome...)

Defending definitely needs to be worked on. It is nigh on impossible to keep clean sheets. Even if you're controlling the game and winning 3-0, one of your team will do something completely boneheaded and give the opposition a goal in the last couple of minutes.

Yes, it may be something I'm doing tactically wrong - but the ME has no clue at all how to represent this. The user has no chance to learn how to keep the opposition shut out when the only goals they are conceding are caused by your centre forward playing a cross-field through ball for the opposition striker, or your goalkeeper deciding to go on a mazy dribble and pass the ball straight to the opposing winger when he's 40 yards out of his box.

to be fair im not tactical genius and allthough it happens some times,, if you get youre tactics right it doesnt happen as much as when they are wrong, dont be afraid to press all over pitch and use some man marking here and there.

if you get youre tactics right it doesnt happen as much as when they are wrong' date='[/quote']

This might well be the key thing. I evidentally have my tactics right, people who are having this issue, obviously dont.

Bit of luck really - I never had it so I must have hit on the right tactic straight away.

Well, I'm overachieving with my Blackburn team - finished 6th in the first season, yet I conceded on average 1.5 goals per game.

Have I got my tactics wrong? I don't think so.

But the amount of times i'm winning by two or three goals and then a ridiculous goal goes in at our end is laughable.

Just another example. Playing donny rovers in my Newcastle save. Winning 4-0. Easy as pie. 77th minute, Steven Taylor randomly hoofs the ball into his own goal from a corner - not under any great pressure, edge of 18 yard box, could have just as easily put it out for a throw. Indeed he had to swivel to face goal before kicking it!

These are not goals from poor tactics, these are goals from brain dead defenders who have been neglected in the match engine yet again.

I'm also tired of Fabregas' long range hat-tricks against me. He has 12 in LS, 12!!!!! Grrrrrr...

I regret not buying him last summer I will do so this time.

How does this happen???

Im so confused - its like im playing a different game to everyone else.

Archived