Is it worth changing captains?

I'm currently playing FM10 with Rosenborg, and I'm about to start a new season.

Roar Strand (absolute legend, IMO) is the current captain, but he's turning 41 this year, and he's honestly not a first-teamer anymore. I'd much rather promote the Vice-captain (who is a first-teamer), and get a new Vice-captain in, but I'm worried about the possible adverse effects caused on the squad.

TBH, I much preferred the old ways where the captain was just someone on the top of a list in the tactics screen, but I suppose this is a better system.

Does anyone have experience changing long-serving captains? What's the worst that's happened.

The players may moan about it for a while, but it doesn't effect performances (from personal experience) and they forget about it sooner than you'd think. In fact, any time I've changed captains, most of the players are happy with my choice, so long as the new captain is one of the best players at the club and has high influence.

I've personally found that it does make a difference in performances though... well, a bit anyway.

I had a similar problem to the OP except for me it was for my vice-captain. My current VC was getting old and I wanted to replace him with a player that was going to be on the pitch more. The switch didn't go down too well, as expected.

The difference it made to performances was that when I was resting my captain, my new VP would obviously be captain for those games, and I constantly got:

"Player x cannot find the motivation to play with Player Y as captain" in the assistant's feedback screen.

As Wee Aja said though, it doesn't last too long. Expect a brief period of showers, but sunny in the afternoon, if I can be so bold as to use a weather metaphor :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived