Ahhhhh! Last Minute Goals!!

Do my freakin head in!

I love the game but there seems to be a lot of last minute goals. I have tried going defensive and various tatical tendancies like time wasting quite a bit but I tell ya I keep leaking those goals. Annoying when you are Sunderland and every point is vital!

This is a complaint I see cropping up all the time. I think at this point it has to been seen as legit. I've leaked more than my fair share of late goals, despite trying a number of different strategies including changing nothing, changing tactics to more defensive/time wasting/etc, bringing on fresh defenders late in the game, etc... Nothing seems to matter.

I'd say it depends a lot on the mentality of your players. I make a point of only signing players who are determined (or at least have good determination). I will genuinely turn down the chance to sign brilliant players if they lack determination. As a result my teams will always fight to the end, hang on to results and also score their fair share of last minute goals.

In this case, it's not always your tactics; it's your players.

Surely determination shouldn't be accounting for the relatively large number of seriously last minute goals though. I mean, a few here and there, ok, I could see them lapsing in effort/concentration because of low determination, but it happens way too frequently if that's the case.

Usually I switch to contain strategy, then use the touchline shouts pass to feet, retain posession, stay on feet, stand off opponent (and play even safer, in the last 5 or ten minutes) and dont concede goals late on disproprtionately more than at any other time in a game and finished the SPL with the best defensive record last season.

Determination has nothing to do with it, it has to do with how players react when they go behind.

Last minute goals? Reacting to going behind? When the goal is conceded; they react (either well or not so well). It's before they concede where the determination matters, which is exactly what I'm talking about. You're the wrong way round. :)

Usually I switch to contain strategy, then use the touchline shouts pass to feet, retain posession, stay on feet, stand off opponent (and play even safer, in the last 5 or ten minutes) and dont concede goals late on disproprtionately more than at any other time in a game and finished the SPL with the best defensive record last season.

I do the whole "contain; retain possession; etc.." stuff too, but it just doesn't seem to matter 50% of the time.

Surely determination shouldn't be accounting for the relatively large number of seriously last minute goals though. I mean, a few here and there, ok, I could see them lapsing in effort/concentration because of low determination, but it happens way too frequently if that's the case.

Of course it's not solely responsible, but I regard determination as a vital attribute for players. I've only noticed this towards the end of FM09, it may be a coincidence but I've been enjoying the game much more lately as a result of building very determined teams.

Tactics do play a big part as well, but when I have a solid tactic(s) with determined players I find that my teams are hard to beat.

In my current Liverpool save I've played about 20 matches or more and only conceded 3 goals (no defeats).

What you need are players with good stamina, concentration and high determination and work rate levels. Then added with the 'contain' and 'get stuck in' tactics you should be able to stave off any comeback. And if your chasing a game just swap the 'contain' tactic with the 'attacking' one.

Works for me anyway.

I've noticed late goals too. It's usually the ME's way of winning and not giving you a chance to comeback; although there are clues that a late goal will happen because your team will have loads of chances and hit the post countless times. If this happens your tactics aren't working and you're more likely to concede a late goal.

What you need are players with good stamina, concentration and high determination and work rate levels. Then added with the 'contain' and 'get stuck in' tactics you should be able to stave off any comeback. And if your chasing a game just swap the 'contain' tactic with the 'attacking' one.

Works for me anyway.

I'm surprised to hear the 'get stuck in' shout actually has a positive effect for you, for some reason if I use that shout my players seem to hear 'get a red card' instead.:(

Works for me anyway.

Yep, I only mentioned determination but there are other attributes to consider like JamsyLFC has pointed out here. I'm a manager who likes players to be outstanding mentally above all else, so players like Dirk Kuyt are my kind of player :thup:

Archived