Handing out ludicrous goals

Im still playing fm 09 (because i had a good game going) as FC basel in switzerland. Ive taken them quite far and reached the semi finals of the Euro Cup. However there is a pattern emerging in any matches against huge teams that i play - this is that i normally go about 2-0 up at half time, then they score the most *ludicrous* goals i have ever seen.

It feels like the game is saving these teams butts from being beaten by a smaller team, even though now i am not that far away from their standard, heres the list of matches where ive been ripped off a win

Chelsea - 2-0 up at half time, drew 2-2 thanks to a *slow* 35 yard drive that came out of nowhere

Aston Villa leg 1 - Was 3-1 until 88th min when they scored a 35 yard *curl* hitting the post and in - wouldnt have mattered except...

Leg 2 - 1-1 and would be going through until 85th min when the ball was crossed into my area and it bounced off my attacking midfielder who was rushing back, it literally dabbled at half a mile per hour into the goal, whilst my keeper who was really close just stood there and watched it go in. I lost on away goals

Sporting CP - was in second leg and drawing so it went to extra time, during which they scored 3 goals! one of which, yep, you guessed it, an unrealistic long range drive :)

And other games follow a similar pattern (maybe less dramatically) but it always seems to be a ridiculus goal that is a "let off" for the big team.

Im not denying that matches often follow this pattern (bigger team stops being complacent). But if the game is going to help the big team out by giving it a much needed late goal - could it at least be a believable goal?;)

Lol. There could be influence from a 'higher plane of exhistance'. The FM Gods do not shine upon thee!

I can't say I noticed this. PLaying in FM09 I managed to get into the Premiership with Havant and Waterlooville and I had a few excellent results againts BIG teams in the league, and on the way up in cup competitions

I played as Grasshopper in Switzerland a lot, and had a similar thing. I could get to a certain point, but usually the talent gulf overwhelmed us around the semis (although I did get to the quarterfinals of the Champions League once). I usually just chalked it up to the talent gulf, though; in the later rounds of the EC/ECC, the teams are exponentially better than they are in the beginning rounds. Never really noticed unrealistic goals, however.

Archived