Lack of discipline

I have a player (Robert Koren at WBA) who often becomes worried about the lack of managerial discipline. What can be the cause of this? I can think of two areas where discipline can be handled:

1. When a player gets a red card, you, as a manager, are able to issue a warning or fine him.

2. At team talk, the players should be told if "it's not good enough", or something like that.

Is it correct that these two points are discipline-related? Any other areas that should be handled well in order to keep good discipline in the team? I am asking because I can't seem to find the reason for the player being worried :(

I had exactly the same thing with a couple of players "worried by the lack of managerial discipline". If you offer them new contracts it sorts them out, and you have to make sure you take appropriate disciplinary action whenever somebody gets sent off, I find a warning is usually sufficient as the player tends to accept it thus not angering him or anybody else in the squad.

I'm not sure but I think press conferences can contribute also, so sending your assistant who then goes and declares somebody else favourites for the title race probably isn't your best option!

Archived