Unrealistic Fan Expectations / Overpowered Small Nations

I am currently managing San Marino, club and country, and I have a few issues with the expectations of the fans.

#1 The fans of the nation have just been plain ridiculous in their criticism. Whenever I lose they are either very disappointed of devastated. This is understandable after the 10-0 loss to Germany but 1-0 to Hungary, 2-1 the the Czechs, 3-0 to Germany are great results for a country of San marino's size (ranked 208 when I took over) but I am yet to have a "satisfied despite result" or anything like that. And the media have been questioning me about the pressure of my job being on the line despite improving our ranking to 143 (improvement of 65 places)

#2 There is no celebration when I actually do well. I might be able to put up with their stupid expectations if they were as enthusiastic with their support when I suceed. For example a 1-1 draw with an overpowered Liechtenstein team ranked 60 (more on that in #5) and a 1-0 win over Latvia are heroic results for San Marino, and neither were greeted with any fanfare. I would like to think that in real life San Marino beat Latvia (a team who not so long ago qualified for a european championship) it would warrant a full bar on the confidence screen. This also applies to Club matches, for example a San Marino team now in Serie C1/B losing comfortably to AS Roma would not really disappoint my fans that much. Surely they would focus more on the fact that I competed for 60 minutes with a high Serie A team than the 2 goals I conceded in the last 10 mins when going gung-ho for an equaliser. I assume the same would apply to English teams losing in the FA cup.

#3 Club fans disappointment at every bad result regardless of form or performance. In real life I dont think that my fans would be so disappointed with one bad result during a great spell of form, or a draw after I have already won the title etc. I understand that fans are fickle but the odd blip isnt treated with as much disappointment IRL. This isnt a major issue tho as it doesnt seem to affect the overall confidence that much.

#4 Also I like the implementation of fans voicing their opinions of who has played well and who hasnt. But I think it is overdone. Everytime I lose or draw the fans pick out 2 or 3 players who they feel shouldnt be in the starting 11. This is fine, but my problem is with how these players are chosen. It appears to just be the players who played worst in the last match. IRL the fans would not turn on my star player Domenico Morfeo (who won C1/B player of the year last year and has an average rating of 7.3 this year) after one bad performance.

#5 The final problem I have found is the overpowered grey players on small nations. Although this wouldn't affect many peoples games it is killing my San Marino team. Liechtenstein had several players of about championship standard and a striker who's stats would have made him a decent player for a mid table premier league team. He ripped through my defense made up of players who would struggle to make the team for BSP clubs, and also led his team to a comfortable win over Latvia. As he was a random player he has now disappeared, which allowed me to scrape the afore mentioned draw. This is not an isolated incident either, I arranged a friendly with American Samoa, figuring that a team that lost to Australia 31-0 would afford me an easy win to please the fans. A 1-0 win was not what I had in mind. I looked into their players and they had several players would would not be out of place in League Football. I have since looked into their recent results IRL which include a 15-0 loss to Vanuatu, a 13-0 loss to Fiji, and their best result is a 4-0 loss to Tonga. Their players should be horrendous. I know this is a minor issue for the game as it will effect very few people. But my team is full of real players who are crap but should stillcomfortably beat team like American Samoa. The San Marino team that isnt all that bad IRL having only lost to Ireland 2-1

Sorry, I know this turned into a bit of a rant, but that wasnt my intention. I have no idea how these problems could be addressed, whether in a patch or next year, or whether it would be worth SI's time. But I thought I should point them out in case something can be done. Thanks

Jesus

I've not managed international teams in FM2010...but hearing that it seems there could be an issue.... saying that if the San Marino FA keep you on...its just media speculation by questioning your role as manager... Not sure what you can do to get the fans on your side...(apart from winning)...but thats hard with San Marino I imagine. Anything under a 3-0 is normally a good result for them...bit like Andorra!

Archived