Windows 7 Upgrade Issues with FM2010

Hi,

I have searched the forums for anyone else reporting this problem, and haven't found any - apologies if there are and i've missed them.

Basically, i recenlty bought a new dell, which i have been using to play fm2010 via steam. Yesterday my free win7 upgrade dvd arrived, so i duly began the task of updating my OS. A few niggles with drivers aside I had Win 7 up and running in a couple of hours. Now, the upgrade version of Win7 claims ot move and re-install all your files for you. When i lcicked Steam it did indeed open as normal, however, when i lcicked to play FM2010 it started laoding, got as far as the Fm2010 logo screeen where the message "loading" appears underneath in a number of languages, then just hung there, going round and round thorugh all the diffrent languages. Eventually i forced the programme to close, and thinking it may have been a Win7 upgrade issue deleted both steam and fm2010 and manaully re-installed them. However, the problem persists - steam laods, fm210 begins loading, then jsut hangs, not showing any error messages, just claiming it's still loading.

Any ideas?

hey i did a full clean install of windows 7(i wiped my hard drive first)

i too have two sports interactive folders appear, others have the problem as well.

i don't know if it affects anything or not, but it is a FM problem, hopefully they will fix it soon.

It doesn't affect gameplay at all, it's not a FM issue, just W7.

OK, final update. Everything working fine now.

To everyone who suggested I should have done a clean install - thanks! I knew i should have to start with, but i was really intrigued to see if the upgrade option provided was any good. The answer is that it's not, it's terrible. I cracked, deleted everything manually, clean installed Win 7, then re-installed everything, et voila! Still had two sports interactive folders initially, but once the game had been loaded, and my save game loaded fom the external hd then saved back to the sports interactive folder everything lookded hunky dory. Now all i have to do is make my sound card work......

OK, final update. Everything working fine now.

To everyone who suggested I should have done a clean install - thanks! I knew i should have to start with, but i was really intrigued to see if the upgrade option provided was any good. The answer is that it's not, it's terrible. I cracked, deleted everything manually, clean installed Win 7, then re-installed everything, et voila! Still had two sports interactive folders initially, but once the game had been loaded, and my save game loaded fom the external hd then saved back to the sports interactive folder everything lookded hunky dory. Now all i have to do is make my sound card work......

So for a clean re-install I have to back up everything?

So for a clean re-install I have to back up everything?

Don't bother backing up the game files. Instead, back up the FM10 (or Sports Interactive if you want to save other FM games too) folder from your Documents folder - the one where you place graphics and data edits, it's also where tactics, training and saves are stored. You should find it at:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010

Don't bother backing up the game files. Instead, back up the FM10 (or Sports Interactive if you want to save other FM games too) folder from your Documents folder - the one where you place graphics and data edits, it's also where tactics, training and saves are stored. You should find it at:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010

Yeah, I'm actually just backing up the whole directory:

C:\Users\George

Archived