Last Man never Sent off?

Ok, this has kinda been an issue in every FM that I can remember. Its not really a massive thing, and may well be there for a match engine balance issues.

But never, in my history of seeing FM, have I ever seen someone sent off for commiting a foul when they are the last man. And we are talking, very, very clear cases. In real football, if your one on one with a defender and then after that its just you can the keeper, and they bring you down... the defender walks. Everytime.

Anyone else thing thats really weird?

The always get a Yellow Card for me. Occasionally its a red because its a Vicious foul, but then thats a red anywhere on the pitch. I just know I am constantly screaming at my computer because my strikers clean through, gets taken out, and the defender gets a yellow.

Or viceversa, where i am like, oh dear, here we go, 10 men... only for it to be a yellow.

I always seem to get players sent off for last man tackles, sometimes even when they aren't last man, and it wasn't a dangerous tackle. But I never have opposition sent off when they are the ones making the last man fouls. Gets very annoying.

So, Burnley are playing Man City at home (19th vs 5th) and 82nd minute Man City are leading 3-2 and on the attack. A loose ball is cleared and the Burnley striker (Fletcher) is chasing down the ball which is about 10 yards inside the City half on the left wing. The only other City defender is in the centre circle in Burnley's half. Just as Fletcher is crossing the half way line, the City defender takes him out. It was clear that Fletcher was going to get the ball and would be one-on-one with the City keeper. So it was a clear professional foul and should be a red card. But no, just a yellow. 5 minutes later City score again to win 4-2. :mad:

Haven't noticed it in previous FMs but it seems to be the case in this one, so many tackles that looked like he should be the last man and not one has been a deserved straight red. Also I think there are a few too many yellow cards given out per match(For both teams) in this FM but I suppose that's for another thread.

It's because the "last man" fouls you are screaming for aren't really the last man.

In FM2010, even if a team mate of the offending player is in the near vicinity (lets say, in line or 1 yard either way) a yellow card is always issued.

If its an actual one on one contest, with no defending or attacking players near the incident, I always see a red card.

I think the actual intepretation of the rule is correct in FM2010, but in real life, refereers are a lot stricter with one on one "last man" tackles.

The thing is with FM2010, there are so many one on ones that if the rule were to be amended on the game, we would have 2-3 red cards every game.

Something for Paul C and the SI army to solve.

Haven't noticed it in previous FMs but it seems to be the case in this one, so many tackles that looked like he should be the last man and not one has been a deserved straight red. Also I think there are a few too many yellow cards given out per match(For both teams) in this FM but I suppose that's for another thread.

Ok, this has kinda been an issue in every FM that I can remember. Its not really a massive thing, and may well be there for a match engine balance issues.

But never, in my history of seeing FM, have I ever seen someone sent off for commiting a foul when they are the last man. And we are talking, very, very clear cases. In real football, if your one on one with a defender and then after that its just you can the keeper, and they bring you down... the defender walks. Everytime.

it has happened to me in my fm10 save as bordeaux against lyon i think commentary was a very cynical challenge by andrade and its a straight red.

It isn't "last man" ffs, it's "denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity", despite what Alan Hansen may try to tell you. Basically, they have to be pretty certain to score with their next touch or two. If the last man commits a foul on the half way line, it isn't a guaranteed red.

I find most of the time, the rule is interpretated correctly.

It isn't "last man" ffs, it's "denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity", despite what Alan Hansen may try to tell you. Basically, they have to be pretty certain to score with their next touch or two. If the last man commits a foul on the half way line, it isn't a guaranteed red.

I find most of the time, the rule is interpretated correctly.

It's actually nothing to do with if they are likely to score with the next touch or two. It's denial of a clear opportunity. If they are on the half way line and it's clear no other player will get back in time to make a challenge (ie broke from a corner, 1 on 1 and fouled) then it should be a red, as without the foul they would have been 1 on 1 with the keeper, which is clearly a goalscoring opportunity however far from the goal they are.

All that matters is if another player would realistically be able to get back and make a challenge before the fouled player would be in a position to shoot. If not, it's a clear chance.

make sure you get large enough sample size before posting stupid thread like this one you idiot!!

Open a thread promotes discussion, hense getting a larger sample size with which to see if there is a underlying problem, hense this being general and not bug forum.

Unfortunately, you'll not be getting your little ego boosting trip tonight. As you are now the idiot. Sorry about that.

Anyhow, interesting to see there are reds out there. I guess its got to be really, really, raelly clear cut :)

It's actually nothing to do with if they are likely to score with the next touch or two. It's denial of a clear opportunity. If they are on the half way line and it's clear no other player will get back in time to make a challenge (ie broke from a corner, 1 on 1 and fouled) then it should be a red, as without the foul they would have been 1 on 1 with the keeper, which is clearly a goalscoring opportunity however far from the goal they are.

All that matters is if another player would realistically be able to get back and make a challenge before the fouled player would be in a position to shoot. If not, it's a clear chance.

Said player has 50 yards to go before he gets a shot off at goal. Clearly this is not a clear goalscoring opportunity

Speaking of unusual aspects of the CM/FM series, I have never seen a GK sent off, or commit a penalty. On top of this, if you add that you hardly see a GK get injured during the course of the game, this would also be a miracle.

Said player has 50 yards to go before he gets a shot off at goal. Clearly this is not a clear goalscoring opportunity

If it's unlikely that anyone will be able to catch him (ie all other players are 20-30 yards behind him) then it is a goalscoring opportunity. There's him, the keeper, and a long run. No-one else is able to interfere and prevent him having a shot on goal.

obviously, 50 yards from the goal line the "last" defender won't be sent off if the next to last defender isn't far behind, but a player caught totally exposed, on his own at the back risks it.

It's entirely dependant on if another player will have an opportunity to prevent him running on and taking a shot or not. The further from goal, of course, the more leeway for "he could have caught up over that distance" the defending team are given.

I've never seen a freekick for handball either

They're in the game, i got at least 2 last time I played Arsenal.

Just had Agger sent off for scything opp striker down about 3 yards outside the area, no complaints really as I was winning 3-0 at the time! Glenn Johnson also did it in the penalty area, and didnt even get a warning!!

edit: eek, might be complaining, its 4-3 now...

Happened to my oponents yesturday in a friendly player through on goal and was brought down.

I've had them happen both for and against...actually, I usually see one every 5-7 games or so I'd wager. Usually it's pretty obvious when it's going to get called. If anything they might be a bit more common in my experience than they should be, but overall it's not bad at all.

There have been a couple times where I was really glad to see one of my own players sent off, too. 80+ minutes and up by one goal, I'd rather defend the lead with 10 men than see someone get an unopposed run at goal. :)

Speaking of unusual aspects of the CM/FM series, I have never seen a GK sent off, or commit a penalty. On top of this, if you add that you hardly see a GK get injured during the course of the game, this would also be a miracle.
I've never seen a freekick for handball either

Seen both, at least in FM09...My keeper was justifyably redcarded for handling outside the box(the "You IDIOT" woke up a sleeping dog, which was let outside at 3am, which then started barking. An FM red card wakes half the neighborhood...) and handballs happened at least once a season in a match I was involved with.

Oh, and I've had a GK get hurt in FM10Demo, too...

r0x0r is the one that is most correct on the interpretations of the law.

"Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether

to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity:

• the distance between the offence and the goal

• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball

• the direction of the play

• the location and number of defenders

• the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick"

Distance: The closer to the goal, greater chance of being DOGSO (Denying Obivious Goalscoring Opportunity)

Direction of play: Towards or away from goal? Away from goal, i.e. usually gives defenders more time to get back

Location and number of defenders: It can still be a DOGSO if two defenders are close to the attacker - i.e. attacker about to shoot from 9-10 meters when hacked down, is a DOGSO even if there is an another defender 2 meters away

Based on this, and what Ive seen so far in FM10 (15 seasons), most of the decisions have been correct.

But I have seen my attacker being brought down after rounding the keeper and is 5 meters away from goal, without even a yellow card being issued :D

(and no, Im not a ref - not anymore, 16 years was enough...)

Archived