Longest penalty shootout in history?

Just joined so sorry if this has been done before. Was just wondering if there was some sort of bug with penalties in the game or if anyone else had encountered problems. I was playing in the Super Cup as Barcelona against Shakhtar and ended up beating them 22 -21. Only one penalty was missed and it was their keeper who had his second spot kick saved. 42 penalties being scored in a row seems a bit extraordinary. Is this a problem in the game or do Barca and Shakhtar just have some calm penalty takers? Great game apart from that

Aberrations guys. I've managed three teams in my current save, and every last one of my keepers has managed to save at least 2 penalties during the season.

I had my first game penalty shootout last night (Spanish Cup), and it went 5-3, and earlier in that game my keeper had saved a penalty that had been awarded for a truly ridiculous foul.

Stop whining please! There's nothing wrong with them! They work just fine. Don't get something nerfed to all hell that currently works like a charm.

In the community shield I had 20 against Manchester United. It was funny to see van der Sar and Cech score on each other, but I agree penalties are converted way too often. I can can understand good players scoring penalties at will, but when goaltenders are having no problems scoring on each other.... Although each team missed at least 3 penalties on this occasion..

Aberrations guys. I've managed three teams in my current save, and every last one of my keepers has managed to save at least 2 penalties during the season.

I had my first game penalty shootout last night (Spanish Cup), and it went 5-3, and earlier in that game my keeper had saved a penalty that had been awarded for a truly ridiculous foul.

Stop whining please! There's nothing wrong with them! They work just fine. Don't get something nerfed to all hell that currently works like a charm.

Its not fine, it is totally unrealistic as 5 of my penalty shootouts each had at least 20 goals between the 2 teams. So go play more and realise the problem and stop buming SI.

It seems there are currently 2 problems with penalties:

1. They are given too frequently in matches

2. Too many of these are converted

I expect this will be balanced better in the next patch.

I completely disagree with this. It seems about equal to real life.

Must have only seen about 2 or 3 penalties missed (for and against) in two seasons though, so dunno there.

goalkeepers dont even dive for penalties in my game :(

Likewise. Although more accurately MY keeper doesn't dive. My opponents' usually do. For the record he didn't dive in a 7-6 penalty shoot out win - they hit one straight down the middle which he saved - or on any of the THREE pens given away by my defence in a cup game against Bristol City.

How can people say this isnt a bug????

Fair enough, if this only happened once in a blue moon it would be realistic. It is a very rare event in real life - it happens, but not very often.

That is my main gripe with this game. Extraordinary things happen FAR too often. 30 yard screamers anyone?

its deinatly a bug you idiots who say it isnt are wrong, look how many people on this thread alone agree it is a bug, and im sure others who havnt commented would agree also. needs sorting as rediculas 3 penos in a match quite oftern

I've played three seasons and not once had three penalties in one match. I have had one shoot out which I lost 4-2. Where is this supposed bug?

I was coaching at non-league Tumbridge Wells a few years ago and we had a prelim FA cup game. We drew at their place and eventually we won the replay on penalties. Each side took 23 penalties which is a world record for an FA affiliated game, or at least it was back then. I think our keeper still holds the record for most penalty saves in a game.

I cant rember the score, i think it was 12-13 or somthing like that.

PS..... I wasnt coaching penalties befor you say it :)

I though this was about how long it takes for the keepers to get in the goal for the penalty. ITs as if they have to walk a mile to get there. Same could be said for free kicks and set pieces, takes too long for players to set the ball down.

I though this was about how long it takes for the keepers to get in the goal for the penalty. ITs as if they have to walk a mile to get there. Same could be said for free kicks and set pieces, takes too long for players to set the ball down.

Thats very true.... But the thing is, once you've set your penalty takers, theres nowt eles you can do as a manager so just move the speed curser and the agony of a penalty shoot out is over in 30 seconds :)

goalkeepers dont even dive for penalties in my game

About 50% of the time my goalkeeper dives but he always dives the correct way so i think when he stands still he was going to dive one way but the ball has gone the other way.

The match engine is good but you need to use your imagionation to fill in the blanks.

Yeah about 95% of the penalties find the net, and thats too high.

Obviously this depends on who is taking the penalty, if you have player like Villa then I surpose he would convert a lot of them.

It seems there are currently 2 problems with penalties:

1. They are given too frequently in matches

2. Too many of these are converted

I expect this will be balanced better in the next patch.

yes i use england, and barry is my spot kick taker. he score 5 goals in the world cup, all from penalty :D

well, as far as i remember, in previous fm, gamers had problem that peno were saved too many, like in 10, could score only 7 or so. now, gamers saying about too many are converted. well, in my game, i had 2 missed peno, also my GK saved about 3-4 peno. the peno missed are about 10-15%.

now it's my second season, with 30 games gone, i had 8 peno, 1st season, got 11 peno, which is acceptable.

It's nigh on impossible to save a decent penalty, though, remember, not many professionals are going to go slightly to one side, in reach of the keeper, they'll go right in the corner, to make it impossible to save!

It's probably more likely that a top level goalie will save it by standing on his feet - 1/3 chance, whereas diving would be a 1/3 chance of going the right way, plus, like a 1/5 chance of actually getting to it, = 1/15!

It's nigh on impossible to save a decent penalty, though, remember, not many professionals are going to go slightly to one side, in reach of the keeper, they'll go right in the corner, to make it impossible to save!

It's probably more likely that a top level goalie will save it by standing on his feet - 1/3 chance, whereas diving would be a 1/3 chance of going the right way, plus, like a 1/5 chance of actually getting to it, = 1/15!

Pepe Reina saved 7 out of 9 penalties in one season for Villareal. With only a 1/15 chance he must be one lucky bastard. ;)

Archived