8.0.2 - Ask assistant advice on teamtalk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Maybe his advice is to give no teamtalk? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is correct: he thinks that no team talk would be appropriate in this situation. You may disagree with him, obviously, as it's your call.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by schuey100:

Okay. I need to disagree with him pretty much every time then. 2-0 up and his team talk is none? Makes it pointless having the feature if he's that stupid icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I understand you schuey100.

If your team is 2-0 up at half time, what would YOU want to say to the team? Personally, I'd say nothing too and expect that they repeated the same in the second half. icon_confused.gif

Since you are part of the testing team I would be grateful if you could explain to me how players interpret the 'none' selection?

Do players interpret 'none' based on the match circumstances?

For example:-

Scenario 1: they are performing poorly so I select 'none' to show that I am beyond angry and so annoyed that I can't even be bothered entering the 'virtual' dressing room to give them the hair dryer treatment

Scenario 2: as Hawshiels suggested the team are performing well and I use 'none' as if to say 'keep on doing what you are doing'.

Do players recognise the distinction or is there a generic interpretation of 'none' by the players independent of circumstances? This ambiguity in team talks is a source of frustration and a bit of clarity on how players interpret my 'virtual emotions' would be greatly appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

Do players recognise the distinction or is there a generic interpretation of 'none' by the players independent of circumstances? This ambiguity in team talks is a source of frustration and a bit of clarity on how players interpret my 'virtual emotions' would be greatly appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. I hadn't though of both interpretations until you posted that.

icon_confused.gif

I've always understood it, and Paul C confirmed this (and I think it is in the hints pop up in the game somewhere) that setting the team talk to none should be used very sparingly because it's equivalent to not turning up in the dressing room at half time.

So 2-0 a talk of 'none' would mean that you were so angry you decided not to bother turning up.

Or has this changed now?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

Since you are part of the testing team I would be grateful if you could explain to me how players interpret the 'none' selection?

Scenario 1: they are performing poorly so I select 'none' to show that I am beyond angry and so annoyed that I can't even be bothered entering the 'virtual' dressing room to give them the hair dryer treatment

Scenario 2: as Hawshiels suggested the team are performing well and I use 'none' as if to say 'keep on doing what you are doing'.

Do players recognise the distinction or is there a generic interpretation of 'none' by the players independent of circumstances? This ambiguity in team talks is a source of frustration and a bit of clarity on how players interpret my 'virtual emotions' would be greatly appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scenario 2. Nothing specific is said.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Si BHA:

Scenario 2. Nothing specific is said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif Thanks for a very speedy response. Great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Si BHA:

And what about Scenario 1?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

Do the players still interpret "none" as a team talk as the manager's disgust when they are not playing well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That isnt and hasnt ever been the case.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

Do the players still interpret "none" as a team talk as the manager's disgust when they are not playing well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That isnt and hasnt ever been the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit of a pain that it says as much in the in game hints and tips then. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If your team is 2-0 up at half time, what would YOU want to say to the team? Personally, I'd say nothing too and expect that they repeated the same in the second half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I personally would select either the "don't get complacent" option or the one that says "Don't let your performance drop" but thats just my opinion as to what I would do if I were handling team talks which I normally dont do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

Bit of a pain that it says as much in the in game hints and tips then. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, in Hints and tips doesn't it say something like "let them stew on there own performance" - or something along those lines.

Come on Paul, get with the program mate... icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well I personally would select either the "don't get complacent" option or the one that says "Don't let your performance drop" but thats just my opinion as to what I would do if I were handling team talks which I normally dont do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say the same irl, but it those talks don't go down well with the troops in game.

Then the item in Hints and Tips really needs to be changed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

Bit of a pain that it says as much in the in game hints and tips then. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Odd actually since I've always understood it to mean "I don't even want to look at you because you're so rubbish, you disgust me. Think about how rubbish you are, but for gods sake, don't talk to me, otherwise I'll kick a boot at you" for the past few editions of FM - since teamtalks were introduced, actually. In hints and tips and even forum posts by SI officials (if I remember correctly).

At least we know now, perhaps that's why I'm so rubbish? icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for asking this question! icon14.gif

And also thanks for the answer of course! icon14.gif

I will certainly try this option a bit more now.

My general concern on this particular option was that it could upset players when used in the wrong circumstances.

Now it seems that i never used it the right way.

I remember once my team playing utterly bad and i decided to say nothing at halftime.

This was a huge mistake on my part and now i see why it turned out in my biggest defeat.

It nearly invoked a riot as it turned out that 3 of my most influential players decided that they didn't like my team talks.

It quit a decent amount of time to bring their morale up and to get them going again.

I think the general consensus is that it is the case. I'm almost certain that you have said so before, but obviously you know better than I icon_smile.gif I'm intrigued why so many people do, and have believed since the feature was implemented, that not giving teamtalks is akin to not turning up and showing the team the manager is angry?

We must have got it from somewhere! Surely we didn't all imagine it at the same time? icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

Then the item in Hints and Tips really needs to be changed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I agree it does.....and will be for the next version.

Paul..

Hints and Tips for Football Manager 2007

By Marc Vaughan & Nick Habershon

"Half-time team talks are essential to undertake If you haven’t already set a precedent that you’re more of a tactician and leave the motivation to the assistant manager (ie. Set the option in ‘manager preferences’ to ‘Assistant Manager handles team-talks).

If you fail to do a team-talk without this option set then the players will presume you’re extremely upset with their performance as you’ve failed to even enter the dressing room, in extreme circumstances (ie. You’re 5-0 down in a local derby) this might motivate them to try harder, however in most circumstances it will just ensure they aren’t particularly happy with you."

Sure it's never worked like this? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by schuey100:

Dammit, that was always my 'hairdryer' team talk. No wonder it never worked. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

It's a bit surprising that something like this would happen, where different staff members would have 100% different opinions on the effect of something on the game, and the one who was 100% wrong got his opinion published and displayed IN THE GAME.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

Dammit, that was always my 'hairdryer' team talk. No wonder it never worked. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

It's a bit surprising that something like this would happen, where different staff members would have 100% different opinions on the effect of something on the game, and the one who was 100% wrong got his opinion published and displayed IN THE GAME. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you honestly surprised? is quite dissapointing to read that even SI don't have a clue/fundementally disagree about parts of the game.

so what is the point of the 'none' option and if it does nothing than why would the game be created in way that allows the ass man to suggest that?

scenario...HT chelsea v man u

'hey dude, (clarke to grant) we are down by three goals and we suck eggs. why don't we try something drastic and let the players stew for a while and say nothing.

it will have no impact whatsoever but im your ass man and i have to earn my $20,000 week salary. it will create the illusion that i'm doing something and you will look like a d/head at the end when we go down by 6. deal avvy??"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

Yes, i'm honestly surprised. Unlike you, i expect more than that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think you missed the sarcasm

Archived