Isthmian League Division Two North Runner-Up: 1988–89

Isthmian League Division Two Champions: 1991–92

Isthmian League Division One Runner-Up: 1993–94

Essex Senior Cup: 2003–04, 2004–05

Isthmian League Cup: 2003–04

FM10 with Patch

No updates

History

Upon their formation Purfleet entered the Reserve Division of the Essex Senior League in 1985 and spent one season in that division before progressing to the Senior Division. Three seasons later in 1988, the club won the ESL title and successfully applied for promotion to the Isthmian League, being placed in Division Two North. Purfleet made its mark on the Isthmian League fairly quickly in the early 90s, rising to the Premier Division after two promotions in three years beginning in 1991–92. The club then remained in the Premier Division with varying success for a decade. After finishing third in 2003–04, Thurrock (the new name having been adopted in 2003) qualified for the newly formed Conference South. In the club's first season in that league, Thurrock qualified for the promotion playoffs but were knocked out by Eastbourne Borough.

The following season the club finished in 10th place in the Conference South. At the end of the season the Club parted company with its long serving manager Colin McBride and appointed Hakan Hayrettin in his place. Hayrettin had to find a completely new team as most of last season’s squad followed McBride to AFC Hornchurch. The club struggled for most of the season and did not secure its Conference South status until the last day of the season when a 3–0 win over Sutton United and results elsewhere going their way gave a final place of 18th.

The 2007–08 season started in much the same form picking up just four points out of a possible 24 but a stunning second half of the season saw the Fleet finish up just six points away from a playoff spot in 12th place.

In 2008–09, the Fleet struggled throughout the season and finished 20th, which would normally be a relegation spot. However, they were reprieved from relegation because Team Bath, who finished well ahead of them, resigned from the Conference. Kenny Clark won both Supporter's and Player's Player of the Year accolades and Joe Woolley was named Clubman of the Year.

Thurrock made an inspired start to the 2009–10 season remaining unbeaten in their first eight games which has seen them in and around the playoff places.

Club records

Best league performance: 3rd in Conference South, 2004–05

Best FA Cup performance: 1st round proper, 2003–04, 2004–05

Best FA Trophy performance: 4th round, 2004–05

Best FA Vase performance: 4th round, 1990–91

I have assumed the managerial post at this relatively young club and hope to lead them (if they keep wanting me to) or A.N. Other club from the lower leagues to the top flight. I aim to abide by the LLM rules of management throughout my career and will provide updates on my success (or failure). I am approaching the halfway point in my first season at the beginning of which we were favourites to be relegated within the media, however, i believe i am surprising some but will this continue....

After signing my contract i was advised that the expectations on my team were to avoid relegation. To aid me in this process i would have £0 at my disposal for transfers and a minimal wage budget with which to work. I set off to assess my club advising the media that i would be as involved in the day to day running of the clubs as much as my time would allow. My staff consisted of an Asst Manager, 2 Coaches, GK coach, Fitness Coach, Physio, Scout and Youth Coach all of whom had very poor stats so the clear-out began. Unfortunately this was to be my first mistake as when i attempted to recruit i was advised the board would only sanction me to have an Asst Manager, 2 coaches, 1 Physio and 2 scouts. My recruitment drive began with adverts being placed in the Job Centre. All posts were filled except an Asst Manager as all applicants wanted £600+ per week but my budget only allowed for a maximum of £300 per week. Eventually after 12 league games a 'suitable' candidate was found. Let me introduce you to my staff...

Thurrock-3.png

Steve French and Robert Beale were duly put to work with many a Scouting Assignment being identified. Particular areas of the team were identified for improvement namely EVERYWHERE!!! With little room for maneouvre in relation to finances, targets were identified and negotiations began. A few signings were hailed by the fans and media as coups given the status of the club - lets hope they are correct.

Thurrock-2.png

With the signatures above secured and the wage budget being blown away the team embarked on their campaign of survival. The Pre-Season campaign saw 6 friendlies being played. This brought about 4 victories and 2 draws (with an admirable 1-0 victory over Glenn Hoddle Academy amongst these!) - morale was high and the players were clicking together. More importantly the fans were happy as were the board.

We are now 13 games into the season and the team have, in the words of the owner, exceeded expectations by sitting in 10th Place, 1 point off a play-off place and 7pts off the leaders. The team have progressed to the 1st Round proper of the FA Cup and are praying for a big draw to redress the recent financial imbalance. Our Home Form is fantastic with 5 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat, however, this is in contrast to our Away Form which has seen 1 win, 1 draw and 4 defeats. I am beginning to question whether sticking to my trusted 4-4-2 away from home is the right way to go...time will tell.

BlueSquareSouth.png

Archived