Is league reputation still static?

Yes, what frogsplash said. I imagine that would take an enormous amount of work to get that right as well. Personally, I'd like that feature to be optional. If I'm playing a lengthy career game where I try to manage different clubs across the world, I'm not sure if I want to be keeping tabs on which are the top leagues in Europe according to the game. At least when I'm managing in, say, 2046, I know that England, Italy and Spain are the top leagues, followed by Germany and France, etc, etc.

It's a similar point to people who want to see money subject to inflation in the game. Not a bad idea in principal, so that in 2046 wages would be a lot more, but again I don't really want to be doing mental arithmetic to work out what £14,000,000 is in today's money and whether that represents a good deal or not.

Neither are bad idea in principal, but if they are introduced I'd like them to be optional personally.

yep, if it's not a feature that'll look good on the back of the box or to magazine reviewers who only ever play one or two seasons, you'll be lucky to ever see it.

Absolute nonsense by the way. Think before you post please.

Absolute nonsense by the way. Think before you post please.

so it is planned as an upcoming feature, perhaps in next year's version? or are you just flipping out at a negative opinion relating to this and other problems existing in the game for many years with no sign of a fix and often confirmation from SI that they're viewed as 'low priority'. At least in my posts I try and put across why I'm annoyed, you calling it 'absolute nonsense' and using the implied threat 'think before you post' is hardly the 'constructive' posting SI have constantly asked for on this forum, but hey, you've got a bold username so it's me that risks 'infraction' for posting something not 'on-message'.

so it is planned as an upcoming feature, perhaps in next year's version? or are you just flipping out at a negative opinion relating to this and other problems existing in the game for many years with no sign of a fix and often confirmation from SI that they're viewed as 'low priority'. At least in my posts I try and put across why I'm annoyed, you calling it 'absolute nonsense' and using the implied threat 'think before you post' is hardly the 'constructive' posting SI have constantly asked for on this forum, but hey, you've got a bold username so it's me that risks 'infraction' for posting something not 'on-message'.

No, what you suggested is that the only changes made to FM games are major ones which is complete nonsense. The number of tiny changes that are in each new FM is much higher than the number of groundbreaking 'back of the box' (as you put it) changes

No, what you suggested is that the only changes made to FM games are major ones which is complete nonsense. The number of tiny changes that are in each new FM is much higher than the number of groundbreaking 'back of the box' (as you put it) changes

actually you're extrapolating a lot of things from my post that I didn't say. What I'm getting at is that SI, and this case I mean mainly Miles, are insanely sensitive over reviews - to the point where he once had a massive tantrum in a Eurogamer comments section over an above average 8/10 review (of the unpatched, very buggy game - so 8/10 was very generous at that point). Of course tiny changes and improvements exist in each version (i've said nothing to the contrary), but they do tend to focus on one or two BIG! NEW! FEATURES! - and often, as with the Board Confidence screen and the 3D Match Engine, they're so unfinished in the first year they appear that they make the whole game considerably worse - which obviously gives the impression that they are rushed to attract a 'buzz'.

The minor changes tend, obviously, to be very minor, yet there are countless issues that have needed fixing for years - league reputation being amongst the more minor, but stuff like the financial model is both important and hopelessly outdated, player aging (there's a topic about this in GD right now) veers wildly between 2 polar extremes each year, both hugely detrimental to realism. Set pieces are both hopelessly basic and easy to exploit - it took 2 years and 3 games (FML) to stop tall centre-backs being able to score up to 20 goals a season (Miles called it an 'exploit' but it's just emulating exactly what many real teams do within the confines of the ludicrously basic set piece options - the only way they could dumb that down any more would be a corner instructions slider with 2 options 'score goal' and 'have a rest'). It's the attitude of SI as much as anything that disappoints - several times either on here, or reported by testers you hear SI staff saying 'we're aware of it, but it's not a high priority' - not even able to confirm whether it will be looked at for next year's version! Yet they find the time to put in 'intentional bugs' to catch out pirates (ditched this year AFAIK, but both versions that included them caught many false positives - legal customers with the wrong brand of CD-ROM drive or whatever being treated as pirates), do ludicrous marketing tie ins with GH Academy, that Sky TV soap opera etc, and code in stuff like in game advertising for pure profit with no benefit to the player (and despite these extra revenue streams, they've bumped up the RRP by a full £10 - thanks SI!). In addition, we've heard Miles griping about fixing a major bug relating to Turkish teams because a lot of Turkish players of the game apparently pirate it (but the bug affects ALL of us from EVERY country), berating people unhappy with buggy products as 'ungrateful' (and in some cases incorrectly labelling them pirates) and mods who call any dissenting opinion 'absolute nonsense' yet would infract regular users in a heartbeat for quoting a mod's post and calling it 'absolute nonsense' with no justification following. We've even seen a ludicrous attempt to rename patches - which exist to fix flaws in the game - as 'enhancement packs' (and Miles later had the temerity to actually complain about 'this world of spin').

Are their priorities really correct? I think there's a worrying complacency about the whole company, and wish that either Champ Man or FIFA Man weren't so poor in comparison, because some decent competition would force them to bring out their A-Game and try to release products without massive balance issues. Of course bugs and issues will always, always exist in a product as complex as FM, but the true problem is how much they are compounded by a grudging attitude towards fixing them - a focus on putting out the best management game in the market (faint praise indeed) rather than the best game they could possibly achieve.

Archived