Upsetting your players - not always a bad thing?

I just got in a bit of trouble as I publicly criticized a player for a poor performance, and several other players became unhappy about what I'd said.

Is it possible though, that this could be a good way to make my players perform better? I'm thinking about Jose Mourinho now, who, after Inter's 1-1 draw against Roma this weekend, was pretty harsh on his own team and particularly Mario Balotelli. I quote:

“We were very poor tonight, and in fact, all three teams out there, referees included, were quite bad,” Mourinho angrily told Sky.

“Balotelli? His performance tonight was close to a zero. He had little movement and did little work for the team. He could have done a whole lot more.”

Honestly I think this is part of Mourinho's brilliance. He says it like it is, probably getting into conflicts with players pretty often, but ultimately motivating them to play better, as they want to prove him wrong. Do you think this could work in FM? How do you handle these situations?

Depends very much on the reputation of the manager vs the reputation of the player as well. For instance, a good player being criticised by an unrenowned manager would more than likely have a negative impact. Whereas the situation you described is more likely to elicit a positive response, such is the stature of Mourinho within the game.

Archived