FM iPhone App.

should SI make a FM iPhone app?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. should SI make a FM iPhone app?

I went through iTune and find out that CM have an iPhone app of their 2010 game. ( no i didn't buy it and won't because we all know how rubish they are) but I find it an excellent idea.

so do SI will make an App? have they thinking of it? Are they making it and keeping it secret?

or did I just gave them the idea :) ?

so what y'all think should we have an iPhone app? or maybe an BlackBerry App?

if it's out let me know I'll buy it

It's just a pointless branch to FM if you ask me, it's nowhere near as good as the PC versions which is understandable but I played it once and it just seemed to unplayable to me.

I also played it on my little cousins PSP, and was generally terrible.

FM is made for Computers/Laptops, even the 360 version wasn't great.

If EA can get Sims 3 and Madden to work on an iPhone I am sure SI can get a version of FM to work well. Its whether they think its worth it, remember iPhone doesn't dominate the UK as it does in America. Far more worth EA's while making Madden due to the amount of iPhone users in America

for those who say it's a rubbish idea I think you missing the point of an App. No game on iPhone are as good as on PC orPS3 XBOx. Apps are just for fun abd help u pass the time. it doesn't need to have 10.000 players with all the league.

yes- they would have to radically simplify the game (as CM have done for their app)- but having said which i would most probably buy it. IT would be great for killing time on long journeys, waiting in queues- etc

exactly my point! but some people here they want the all game in a App!!!!!!!

as an ex player of FML (just generally lost interest) i remember thinking that it would be awesome to have an app to link with that, so you can manage all of your transfers, inbox messages, contracts etc through that, maybe even play the odd match, it would seem far more feasable to have an FML app that the full fm10 game, as fm is all about attantion to detail and a lot of that would be lost with a stripped down copy for iphone, plus iphones are pretty crap when running apps that use a lot of memory and usually just crash...

What about remote play?

Start up your game - and then play it on the iPhone via your PC/Mac? Something like the way the PSP can be used for playing PS3 games/content.

Another idea could be streaming - so games would be stored and run on BIG servers. Then you could play the game on your iPhone, not using the memory and gfx that much.

Would this be possible at all? Or am I dreaming? :)

What about remote play?

Start up your game - and then play it on the iPhone via your PC/Mac? Something like the way the PSP can be used for playing PS3 games/content.

Another idea could be streaming - so games would be stored and run on BIG servers. Then you could play the game on your iPhone, not using the memory and gfx that much.

The problem with BIG servers is that they cost BIG cash and any costs would have to be made up in the price you pay.

What about remote play?

good dream but not for now beside like someone say it will cost big money!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
for those who say it's a rubbish idea I think you missing the point of an App. No game on iPhone are as good as on PC orPS3 XBOx. Apps are just for fun abd help u pass the time. it doesn't need to have 10.000 players with all the league.

I second this, and would be the first to buy the FM app for Iphone! If they make one for the PSP, it shouldn't be to hard to port it to the Iphone..

CM01/02 as an APP and im in!!

Seconded. The iPhone could run this, no probs.

The current CM iPhone app is dreadful, even worse than the CM game itself. I know they're trying hard over at BGS but this really was pants. I don't see how you can get a proper FM game onto iPhone since I reckon you need at least 4GB of ram to run it smoothly on a half-decent laptop.

I'll rather they spend the time making future FM versions better than to devote precious resources on making a half-decent product.

This:thup:

Consoles, Handheld, etc are far too minority, but then Paul has already defended dropping the Xbox because sales sucked, and there's 18m of them.

Would be even worse than the PSP version of the game tbh. Stick to PC/Mac.

Well you try carrying a PC on the train...

Id play it if it was available but it wouldnt be much good and not worth the resources for what would be a bit of fun...

Well you try carrying a PC on the train...

Id play it if it was available but it wouldnt be much good and not worth the resources for what would be a bit of fun...

That's (partly) why I'm very much a laptop person. Though on trains I normally go for books. And I probably wouldn't like FM as an iPhone feature given how small the db/league selection would be, on top of other things.

I've got CM08 for the mobile phone and to be honest its not bad.....gives you something to do whilst your not in front of your computer

It has English Premier League, FA Cup, Euro Cups, Full transfer system, News, Injuries, Training Schedules, Tactics, Match Commentry and Analysis

Its definatly no FM but its pretty decent and decent enough when your bored sitting on the bog!!

not having a go here fellas, but i would rather let SI concentrate on making a bug-free game first, rather than having 2 games that dont match their potential

Sorry to disappoint you, but there's never gonna be a bug free FM on release.. I don't think anyone can argue with that

Seconded. The iPhone could run this, no probs.

It couldn't run it at all, unless it was completely rewritten from the ground up. The iPhone doesn't have an x86 compatible processor.

In that case, they might as well design a whole new game... which isn't going to happen, because there aren't enough iPhones around. Added to that, the iPhone isn't nearly as popular (relatively) as it originally was - there is ever increasing competition from the Android and HTC phones, so that's 3 platforms you'd realistically have to program for, so it's never going to be financially viable.

Then there is the problem of power consumption. FM and CM are processor and memory suckers. These high-end phones can use up their battery in a day already if you have the majority of their features on and actually use it as a phone occasionally. Keep the screen on for an hour or 2 while playing FM and it wouldn't last more than a few hours before you'd be carrying a battery-less brick around.

It wouldn't work on so many levels.

It couldn't run it at all, unless it was completely rewritten from the ground up. The iPhone doesn't have an x86 compatible processor.

In that case, they might as well design a whole new game... which isn't going to happen, because there aren't enough iPhones around. Added to that, the iPhone isn't nearly as popular (relatively) as it originally was - there is ever increasing competition from the Android and HTC phones, so that's 3 platforms you'd realistically have to program for, so it's never going to be financially viable.

Then there is the problem of power consumption. FM and CM are processor and memory suckers. These high-end phones can use up their battery in a day already if you have the majority of their features on and actually use it as a phone occasionally. Keep the screen on for an hour or 2 while playing FM and it wouldn't last more than a few hours before you'd be carrying a battery-less brick around.

It wouldn't work on so many levels.

2 things that are wrong with this statement...

1. HTC do not have their own OS... they use either Android or Windows Mobile... Mostly Android now and in the UK at least WM is very much becoming unpopular as consumers prefer open source OS's like Apple's and Android.

2. As for increasing competition... Not at all. The iPhone in the UK outsells every android device... put together.

I personally would like an app that supplements your game rather than allows you to play it. Like someone said above - tactics, training etc. but no continue option.

Isn't it better SI spend their time making the PC and Mac versions of FM the greatest?

Is spending developer time and money on a watered down FM for phones really that needed? I always thought phone games were there to waste away 10 minutes sitting on the bog at work or to amuse yourself on the bus/at tea break.

I don't think my manager would be too impressed if I spent 45 minutes on the bog because I was playing a match. Add to that my bus journey/breaks are not long enough.

If anyone says that they have plenty of time at work to devote to FM then I say you need to get up off your lazy arse and do some work to earn what's being paid to you. If you don't work, then why do you want FM on a phone?

Isn't it better SI spend their time making the PC and Mac versions of FM the greatest?

Is spending developer time and money on a watered down FM for phones really that needed? I always thought phone games were there to waste away 10 minutes sitting on the bog at work or to amuse yourself on the bus/at tea break.

I totally agree. Hence something that supplements itwould be good rather than a seperate game.

2 things that are wrong with this statement...

1. HTC do not have their own OS... they use either Android or Windows Mobile... Mostly Android now and in the UK at least WM is very much becoming unpopular as consumers prefer open source OS's like Apple's and Android.

2. As for increasing competition... Not at all. The iPhone in the UK outsells every android device... put together.

I personally would like an app that supplements your game rather than allows you to play it. Like someone said above - tactics, training etc. but no continue option.

1) Yes thanks, I realise that HTC don't make their own OS. They do however make their own phones, the HD2 of which is one of the most desirable phones out there. Just check out any mobile forum. Android has only been out for a minimal period of time, the better 2nd iteration of which has only been released. People are falling over themselves in anticipation of Google's own Nexus One (somewhat ironically, made by HTC). Both of these also feature the Snapdragon chip.

2) Increasing competition... erm yeah. People aren't falling over themselves for these phones at all. There's no hype whatsoever. Market predictions show that Android is expected to leap the iPhone by 2012, behind only Symbian, with WinMo is 4th. I'd say that's fairly indicative of direct competition.

1) Yes thanks, I realise that HTC don't make their own OS. They do however make their own phones, the HD2 of which is one of the most desirable phones out there. Just check out any mobile forum. Android has only been out for a minimal period of time, the better 2nd iteration of which has only been released. People are falling over themselves in anticipation of Google's own Nexus One (somewhat ironically, made by HTC). Both of these also feature the Snapdragon chip.

2) Increasing competition... erm yeah. People aren't falling over themselves for these phones at all. There's no hype whatsoever. Market predictions show that Android is expected to leap the iPhone by 2012, behind only Symbian, with WinMo is 4th. I'd say that's fairly indicative of direct competition.

Orange's launch of the iPhone in November led to a year on year increase of 500,000 connections (New contracts, upgrades and prepay)... in 2 months... in a recession.

Vodafone are due to launch in February, and predictions show it could have a similar affect on their sales.

I've worked in the industry for 6 years, and have never seen such demand for a single handset. Yes the HD2 may have high demand in the mobile forums, but the people that use those forums are a small amount of mobile users, and the HD2 also has a smaller target demographic as opposed to the very much mass market iPhone.

But enough about that, lets get back on topic.

To an extent though, I feel we could merge our arguements to the point that yes if you were going to make an app for the iPhone you'd need to do one for android. But that's the beauty of open source OS's isn't it?

Orange's launch of the iPhone in November led to a year on year increase of 500,000 connections (New contracts, upgrades and prepay)... in 2 months... in a recession.

Vodafone are due to launch in February, and predictions show it could have a similar affect on their sales.

I've worked in the industry for 6 years, and have never seen such demand for a single handset. Yes the HD2 may have high demand in the mobile forums, but the people that use those forums are a small amount of mobile users, and the HD2 also has a smaller target demographic as opposed to the very much mass market iPhone.

But enough about that, lets get back on topic.

To an extent though, I feel we could merge our arguements to the point that yes if you were going to make an app for the iPhone you'd need to do one for android. But that's the beauty of open source OS's isn't it?

Im glad i never joined the rush for an iPhone now, especially as they are now becoming as common as filth :)

Archived