Players complain when you fine them for getting sent off

Ok - I think the title explains it well.

I am getting annoyed with my players having a sulk when I fine them for getting sent off.

This season I have had 4 players sent off 7 times (combined, not each!)

The first time they get sent off I give them a warning, the second time I fine them (unless the little message says it was harsh, or that I have a good chance on appeal or what ever the message is)

Now, they all accept the warning - but, none of them accept the fine.

So, you might say, why fine them. Well the previous season, I didnt fine anyone. I just gave them warnings each time. After my 6 or 7th sending off 3 members of my team had a 'slight issue' that I wasnt maintaining squad discipline enough.

So - I can win - if I dont fine people, my squad gets upset, if I do fine people, my squad gets upset - wtf am I supposed to do.

For me, there needs to be an option at the begining of the season telling the players of your expectations - EG - if you get sent off and we feel it was justified, you will be fined 1/2 weeks wages.

Has anyone else had this problem - does anyone else have any solutions?

Out of curiosity are these sending offs straight reds or two yellows? I'm experiencing something similar, with players complaining about being fined after picking up two yellows in a match. Where they were given a straight red for violent conduct the player was happy to accept a fine. Those are the only sending offs I’ve experienced thus far; thankfully I’ve not got to the stage of having the team complain about lack of discipline. I'm going to experiement with a few warnings for multiple yellows followed by a fine to see if there is a difference.

It's not a bug.

How many of you would feel somewhat disgruntled to lose a week's pay for making a mistake or two? How many would be upset with their manager if he warned you about your performance after one bad day?

I'd wager every single one of you.

Two yellow cards = warning

Straight red card = fine

It's been this way for years now. Players become unhappy if they're fined due to two yellow cards because they haven't really broken the rules of the game to such an extent that a fine is warranted. They were just a bit unlucky. When they're given a straight red card, however, they should have known better.

So give a warning when a player gets sent off for two yellow cards, and fine him a week's wage if he's given a straight red card. If he's sent off for serious violent conduct (like punching the ref or something), then you can fine him for two weeks.

Ah, but should you fine him for a professional foul that prevented a last quarter equaliser and enabled your team to hold on to the win? Context is everything.

Is the game sophisticated enough to understand context?

I tend to do as I would in real life. Cards for dissent (I wish I had the option to fine just for a yellow!) and violent conduct I would fine, otherwise just warn, and pre FM09 I would not necessarily issue a warning for a sending off where the man "took one for the sake of the team", however Board opinion makes it essential that you do not let Red cards go unpunished or you will find you "do not have the necessary element of control", which the board will frown upon.

Ok - I think the title explains it well.

I am getting annoyed with my players having a sulk when I fine them for getting sent off.

This season I have had 4 players sent off 7 times (combined, not each!)

The first time they get sent off I give them a warning, the second time I fine them (unless the little message says it was harsh, or that I have a good chance on appeal or what ever the message is)

Now, they all accept the warning - but, none of them accept the fine.

So, you might say, why fine them. Well the previous season, I didnt fine anyone. I just gave them warnings each time. After my 6 or 7th sending off 3 members of my team had a 'slight issue' that I wasnt maintaining squad discipline enough.

So - I can win - if I dont fine people, my squad gets upset, if I do fine people, my squad gets upset - wtf am I supposed to do.

For me, there needs to be an option at the begining of the season telling the players of your expectations - EG - if you get sent off and we feel it was justified, you will be fined 1/2 weeks wages.

Has anyone else had this problem - does anyone else have any solutions?

i fine everybody who gets sent off regardless. my squad discipline is always 20 and i never get silly sending offs after the first coulpe.

a tight ship is a steady ship...

My entire team erupts in anger sometimes when I fine someone. They get over it eventually. I only fine for double yellows in games where it matters though (tournaments outside the league, derbys, playoffs, etc...) otherwise I only fine for straight reds. Two weeks for violent behaviour baby! Don't do it again!

It's not a bug.

How many of you would feel somewhat disgruntled to lose a week's pay for making a mistake or two? How many would be upset with their manager if he warned you about your performance after one bad day?

I'd wager every single one of you.

Why give us the option then tbh.

This topic is quite funny.

You fined a player. Yes they may have kicked someone in the head, and it may well have been your favourite player, but they're still not going to be happy at getting fined every time they get sent off, it's 'human nature' that just so happens to be coded into the game.

As wwfan said, context also has a big influence, make sure you're doing the right thing.

P.S. If we give players 3 warnings, can we then sack them?! ;)

You fined a player. Yes they may have kicked someone in the head, and it may well have been your favourite player, but they're still not going to be happy at getting fined every time they get sent off, it's 'human nature' that just so happens to be coded into the game.

Im glad I amuse you :p

However, its not just the fact that if I fine someone they get unhappy - I honestly do understand that - BUT, when I only gave out warnings, Adler, Gallas and vermailen all got the hump with me for not maintaining squad discipline - so im damned if I do and damned if I dont - if I dont fine people, one lot are unhappy, if I do fine people, the finee gets unhappy.

If I fine myself do the players get happy? (Actually, if I could fine myself each week id have £5million a year more to spend on other players wages!)

It will differentiate between professional fouls, violent conduct, unlucky reds and two yellows.

It does not. All the players will accept a two week fine for a straight red, no matter the offense which suggests that it's simplistic enough. Personally I'd often see two yellows more worthy of a fine in this game than some straight reds but the game can't really see the context and thus will deem a sending off for committing a professional foul more serious than two yellows for two dives, for example. Which is a bit stupid tbh, but that's how it works. A warning for two yellows and fine for a straight red as suggested above and you'll never hear a complaint.

It does not. All the players will accept a two week fine for a straight red, no matter the offense which suggests that it's simplistic enough. Personally I'd often see two yellows more worthy of a fine in this game than some straight reds but the game can't really see the context and thus will deem a sending off for committing a professional foul more serious than two yellows for two dives, for example. Which is a bit stupid tbh, but that's how it works. A warning for two yellows and fine for a straight red as suggested above and you'll never hear a complaint.

Sorry - thats just not true.

Some of my players wont accept a fine for a straight red, even if the LAST straight red they got that season I merely warned them.

I guess there's some personality variable there then. Because as I said, since about FM 08 the above formula has always worked for me 100%. While I've not seen a player complain after a fine for a straight red I'm absolutely sure your player wouldn't accept a fine no matter what. The disciplining feature does not take the specific incidents into account, of that I'm absolutely sure.

I guess there's some personality variable there then. Because as I said, since about FM 08 the above formula has always worked for me 100%. While I've not seen a player complain after a fine for a straight red I'm absolutely sure your player wouldn't accept a fine no matter what. The disciplining feature does not take the specific incidents into account, of that I'm absolutely sure.

That may well be true - I might have a bunch of players with such bad 'hidden' attributes that no matter what they do, if I fine them, they wont be happy.

I've noticed something similar. One of my players, Who i have only just signed in the summer window. Did not turn up for training. So i just gave him a warning as it is the first time he as missed training(Well the first player in my Grimsby side for 3 seasons to miss training)

Now he his declairing unfear treament, On his profile 'feels he made the wrong decision joing the club & his considering his options'

Ha Ha I only gave him a warning for missing training, If i did not turn up for work with out reason i would expect a warning.

For 2.1 k a week i expect him to be at every training session, I know 2.1k might not sound like much now adays, But he his one of the highest paid in my Grimsby team.

Prima Donnas ...

58073137.jpg

I love slapping a fine on my huge 40m£ signing with 80k/week wages, imagine that - suddenly i've saved 160k, which is enough the keep half of Blue Square North employed for a year. Ha.

I've not noticed until this version that you can fine players for playing badly (often less than 6.0 in the last game), and they will mostly accept it, even if it's more than a warning. This is a good thing to do against players that have made mistakes in prior matches, which usually dumps their rating for that game completely. Gary Cahill has a tendency to do those clangers for me, and will happily accept one week wage fines afterwards.

The thing is, I bet no manager is 100% liked by his players.

Look at Martin O' Niell and Reo Coker recently. O'Niell has a reputation as being the 'players' manager, yet even he can't keep all the troops happy.

I guess the trick on FM is to keep unhappy players at a minimum, but sometimes it's worth being a little unpopular if you want to make a point.

I've noticed something similar. One of my players, Who i have only just signed in the summer window. Did not turn up for training. So i just gave him a warning as it is the first time he as missed training(Well the first player in my Grimsby side for 3 seasons to miss training)

Now he his declairing unfear treament, On his profile 'feels he made the wrong decision joing the club & his considering his options'

Ha Ha I only gave him a warning for missing training, If i did not turn up for work with out reason i would expect a warning.

For 2.1 k a week i expect him to be at every training session, I know 2.1k might not sound like much now adays, But he his one of the highest paid in my Grimsby team.

Prima Donnas ...

I've had guys complain about a 2 week fine for missing training 2-3 times in a single month.

players professionalism also influence their reaction

i never fine for 2 yellows, always for a straight red,unless i plan to appeal

only ever fine 2 weeks for missing training, if he complains about the fine he is listed as he's probably not good enough for the team, and probably part of the reason he missed training

i never fine or warn for poor performances as i feel it just as much my fault as his, plus the game is too tactically fickle to presume its his fault, real life might be different, but the game isnt

players professionalism also influence their reaction

i never fine for 2 yellows, always for a straight red,unless i plan to appeal

I dont get why I cant do both...

Imagine Wenger - he always 'doesnt see it' when the public ask him - but I bet he damn well lets the players know in private (Even 1 to 1, if not with the whole team). I can see him appealing for a sending off, while privately giving the player a kicking.

Archived