3 FM2010 Crashes so far, I believe this is unacceptable

3 Crashes in how many seasons? Had you been playing for 10 minutes or solidly since the game came out. Whats your system?

I think I had 10 crashes in FM09 - sure I played it for about 50 game years so its all relative.

Ive had 1 crash in 2 game years in FM10 - I dont find that 'unnaceptable'

I wont accept that the quantity of crashes in FM2010 is in any way 'acceptable'. Im stuck in January of my first season and no matter what I do the game crashes during the next game, it's not playable. Just to be clear I haven't paid £30 quid so I can be part of the test process and upload my saved game etc and monitor exactly where THEIR memory leak is happening.

It's not incumbant on punters who have paid hard earned cash to test your game or help you fix it.

The thing is with memory leaks is that they happen because of one of three things - 1) The program itself. 2) Other programs you have running. 3) Your computer

Because only a small proportion of people are complaining about memory leaks (I played the game for 9 hours straight on sunday without restarting the PC or turning off FM with no issues) then you can cross out number one - and then it has to be option 2 or option 3 - neither of which are SIs fault.

The thing is with memory leaks is that they happen because of one of three things - 1) The program itself. 2) Other programs you have running. 3) Your computer

Because only a small proportion of people are complaining about memory leaks (I played the game for 9 hours straight on sunday without restarting the PC or turning off FM with no issues) then you can cross out number one - and then it has to be option 2 or option 3 - neither of which are SIs fault.

This just shows poor understanding of how software works IMHO, being a professional software engineer, I know the answer is almost never that simple (but I know, humans like to believe it is). The case with the so called "memory leak" error, is without question a CONFLICT between software and hardware/driver. So the fact that you can run the game perfectly fine, really doesn't tell weather the program is working - just that it works on your machine.

With all the people whining in the tech bugs forums (my self included), the is most definitely a malfunction in the game (it just doesn't show on all setups).

What worries me though, is that SI aren't able to replicate the error...

Ok - which part of what I said is different to yours?

If a TV program will display on 995 TVs, but wont display on 5 tvs - whats at fault - the TV or the TV program?

Sure, you COULD say if the tv producers had made it better and tested it a bit better it would have worked on the other 5 TVs, but, for 995 people there wasnt a problem.

Yes I understand completely that I over simplified the situtation - but come on - there are people on this forum who dont know what a graphics card is or how to open the computers control panel. Yes I understand its a 'conflict' between software and hardware - but if there is no conflict on the vast majority of systems, is the error with the game, or with the hardware?

And yes, I CAN say it works on the vast majority of systems for 2 reasons. Firstly SI have said (And I believe them on this) that they test across a very large range of computers (but by their own admission, not the COMPLETE range of computers) thus if they didnt find a problem there then for the majority of people they wont find a problem either. Also, the people who come here are the people with issues, or the people who just like forums. Therefore there will always be a disproportionate number of people here with problems compared to the population at large. I compare it to a hospital. If you based the 'well being' of a population by looking at a hospital, you would determine that 75% of the population is ill - however thats just not the case - you only go to a hospital if you are 1) Ill, 2) visiting, 3) a medical proffesional. People only come to this forum if they are 1) having problems with the game, 2) obsessed with FM, 3) helpling people with problems with the game.

I don't want to be peaky, but since FM08 SI can't replicate any error that occurs to us.

Still amazes me how can piece of software go gold, with so much tech problems (not including issues people having in game).

I don't know and to be honest as of lately I don't see the benefits of yearly releases, but that is just me.

Ok - which part of what I said is different to yours?

If a TV program will display on 995 TVs, but wont display on 5 tvs - whats at fault - the TV or the TV program?

Sure, you COULD say if the tv producers had made it better and tested it a bit better it would have worked on the other 5 TVs, but, for 995 people there wasnt a problem.

Yes I understand completely that I over simplified the situtation - but come on - there are people on this forum who dont know what a graphics card is or how to open the computers control panel. Yes I understand its a 'conflict' between software and hardware - but if there is no conflict on the vast majority of systems, is the error with the game, or with the hardware?

And yes, I CAN say it works on the vast majority of systems for 2 reasons. Firstly SI have said (And I believe them on this) that they test across a very large range of computers (but by their own admission, not the COMPLETE range of computers) thus if they didnt find a problem there then for the majority of people they wont find a problem either. Also, the people who come here are the people with issues, or the people who just like forums. Therefore there will always be a disproportionate number of people here with problems compared to the population at large. I compare it to a hospital. If you based the 'well being' of a population by looking at a hospital, you would determine that 75% of the population is ill - however thats just not the case - you only go to a hospital if you are 1) Ill, 2) visiting, 3) a medical proffesional. People only come to this forum if they are 1) having problems with the game, 2) obsessed with FM, 3) helpling people with problems with the game.

You are forgetting that to some people 35 quid is little too much. Now Imagine someone here in Portugal having spent 50 euros for FM2010 and all you have is crash dumps. I bought Supreme Commander and to be honest the game always reported an error I exchanged the game twice (my computer whish is quad score with latest graphics cards and drivers didn't run. I returned the game to never played again. The same happen With FM08 and FM09. 50 euros is way too expensive to believe in pseudo promises that the game will eventually be played in patch 2 or 3. Everyone here (specially those that create long term game) want the game to played with minimal bugs as possible out of the box, which is no longer the case for few years.

So no matter your justifications doesn't justify for the technical problems that this game has even if it happens 0.0000000001% of the costumers.

No software works 100% of the time, no software works on 100% of PCs.

The fact that neither FM10 nor supreme commander works on your pc tends to support my point that there is something intrinsically WRONG with your pc - not wrong with the software.

Anyone who spent £35 on the game is stupid, it was availabe on steam for £29 (in the UK, I wont comment on continental prices I just dont know them).

The fact is, ever since CM4 which was AWFUL (and didnt work on most computers) I havent had a single issue what so ever with FM/CM (the REAL CM...). Im not saying that as a 'boast' or to annoy you - but to point out that just because it doesnt work for you, doesnt mean it doesnt work for 1000s of people out there directly out of the box - you cant blame SI for that.

It can't be tested on even a tiny percentage of the possible hardware and software configurations that exist so it's inevitable that post release some problems will come to light which never showed up in testing.

Software conflicts can usually be tracked down by the user but it can be a painfully tedious procedure, hardware conflicts much more difficult.

It's wrong to try apportioning blame anyway, it's nobodies fault if their system throws up a problem like this and SI do as much as they can to prevent it happening.

When it does the answer is to give them as much info as possible in the hope it will get it resolved quicker, if they can't it won't be for want of trying.

Also the next idiot with a comment such as it's your tactics gets an infraction, this is serious both for the people it affects and for SI.

Let's be clear about something. Fm2010 works perfectly fine on my computer, I have Inner game issues with the game but that is another thread. My computer runs Crysis with a leg tied on the back.

Supreme Commander had somesort of issue that I couldn't figure out and due to idiotic users in SC forums saying that it was something wrong with my computer and not the game the makers of SC lost a costumer. A lot of people think that way about FM2010 and previous Fm games.

About 35 pounds is stupid price, then next Fm tried to buy it on Portugal. FM2010 is currenctly at the price of 50 euros, that 50 pounds give or take. 50 POUNDS for a game that there costs 20? Are you kidding me? what a rip off. Of course SI doesn't have nothing to do with the pricing... Seriously I don't care. Now some spends 50 euros of game that costumer has every right to play out of the box.

I can blame for SI, because this type of errors it is them who makes the test, it was then that approved the game to be gold and its them that have to garantee that every game runs in every PC and MAC that fulfils the minimal requirements and not saying it is a problem with your computer like you suggesting.

You wouldn't be so happy if the Crash dumps like that many users are reporting here. In fact I bet you where one of many heavily complaining about the crash dumps.

It can't be tested on even a tiny percentage of the possible hardware and software configurations that exist so it's inevitable that post release some problems will come to light which never showed up in testing.

Software conflicts can usually be tracked down by the user but it can be a painfully tedious procedure, hardware conflicts much more difficult.

It's wrong to try apportioning blame anyway, it's nobodies fault if their system throws up a problem like this and SI do as much as they can to prevent it happening.

When it does the answer is to give them as much info as possible in the hope it will get it resolved quicker, if they can't it won't be for want of trying.

Also the next idiot with a comment such as it's your tactics gets an infraction, this is serious both for the people it affects and for SI.

Yes I agree that is impossible to test every possible configuration. Still saying that SI have tested FM10 in every computer without any problems is little misguiding don't you say?

For those that have crash dumps a friend of mine had also that, he turned the 3D off and the crash dumps never happen again. Hope that helps.

Yes I agree that is impossible to test every possible configuration. Still saying that SI have tested FM10 in every computer without any problems is little misguiding don't you say?

I'm not sure I understand that, who said SI have tested FM10 in every computer without problems? I thought we all agreed that isn't remotely possible:confused:

Supreme Commander had somesort of issue that I couldn't figure out and due to idiotic users in SC forums saying that it was something wrong with my computer and not the game the makers of SC lost a costumer. A lot of people think that way about FM2010 and previous Fm games..

Personally, if I have issues with a game that I WANT to play - I dont 'throw the baby out with the bath water', or 'my toys out of the pram'. I work through the problems and get it sorted no matter what it takes - it sounds like if you dont like what someone says on a forum you take the game back and then blame the developer...

About 35 pounds is stupid price, then next Fm tried to buy it on Portugal. FM2010 is currenctly at the price of 50 euros, that 50 pounds give or take. 50 POUNDS for a game that there costs 20? Are you kidding me? what a rip off. Of course SI doesn't have nothing to do with the pricing... Seriously I don't care. Now some spends 50 euros of game that costumer has every right to play out of the box...

I did VERY SPECIFICALLY say that I am NOT commenting on non-uk prices. Continental prices I know zip, zero, nothing about - I was saying that if you paid £35 IN THE UK, then you were ripped off as steam was £29 and is often quoted as the most expensive.

I can blame for SI, because this type of errors it is them who makes the test, it was then that approved the game to be gold and its them that have to garantee that every game runs in every PC and MAC that fulfils the minimal requirements and not saying it is a problem with your computer like you suggesting.

But thats simply not the case. There are plenty of things you can put on your computer (Im not saying you have, im saying COULD have) that could stop any programme from running. The same with hardware. You can have the most crazy powerful set up going - but if things arent set up as expected or correctly then you cant blame the software developers. Ill give an example. Virus checkers - they cause more issues than they solve. So many games have to say 'disable your virus checker when installing' - now what you have said is that no matter what is on your pc and no matter what you do with it - if it meets the minimum requirements then its the software developers fault it doesnt work, which is patently unfair.

I personally think we each have a responsibility to ensure that our PCs are set up correctly and working correctly and I think I have managed to do that for the last 5 years. Appart from Empire total war - which was bugged to hell until the third patch (EIGHT months later) I have not had a single issue with any game ive ever bought, and personally, I put that down to having an unmodified PC (no overclocking and still at factory specifications) that is well maintained and when I have a problem I work through it, rather than just have a strop and give up.

Personally, if I have issues with a game that I WANT to play - I dont 'throw the baby out with the bath water', or 'my toys out of the pram'. I work through the problems and get it sorted no matter what it takes - it sounds like if you dont like what someone says on a forum you take the game back and then blame the developer...

I did VERY SPECIFICALLY say that I am NOT commenting on non-uk prices. Continental prices I know zip, zero, nothing about - I was saying that if you paid £35 IN THE UK, then you were ripped off as steam was £29 and is often quoted as the most expensive.

But thats simply not the case. There are plenty of things you can put on your computer (Im not saying you have, im saying COULD have) that could stop any programme from running. The same with hardware. You can have the most crazy powerful set up going - but if things arent set up as expected or correctly then you cant blame the software developers. Ill give an example. Virus checkers - they cause more issues than they solve. So many games have to say 'disable your virus checker when installing' - now what you have said is that no matter what is on your pc and no matter what you do with it - if it meets the minimum requirements then its the software developers fault it doesnt work, which is patently unfair.

I personally think we each have a responsibility to ensure that our PCs are set up correctly and working correctly and I think I have managed to do that for the last 5 years. Appart from Empire total war - which was bugged to hell until the third patch (EIGHT months later) I have not had a single issue with any game ive ever bought, and personally, I put that down to having an unmodified PC (no overclocking and still at factory specifications) that is well maintained and when I have a problem I work through it, rather than just have a strop and give up.

Dude stop being so conceited. Do you seriously believe everybody who has issues is wrong and you're right? There are loads of people who are probably just taking this game back as faulty who dont understand the issues at play, people who come onto the community to try and either complain or be constructive (both have the right) are likely to have at least a basic grasp on technology and plenty of the people on here are clearly programmers ot IT professionals. I am head of e-commerce for a major UK company and trust me, I've 'updated my drivers'.

Stop being so arrogant towards people who have every right to have the hump and acknowledge that SI may just have dropped the ball on this one.

I wont accept that the quantity of crashes in FM2010 is in any way 'acceptable'. Im stuck in January of my first season and no matter what I do the game crashes during the next game, it's not playable. Just to be clear I haven't paid £30 quid so I can be part of the test process and upload my saved game etc and monitor exactly where THEIR memory leak is happening.

It's not incumbant on punters who have paid hard earned cash to test your game or help you fix it.

I am now facing the same problem! I am stuck in July 2010 and am playing in the World Cup Final with England and Italy as my opponent. Immediately after the match ends, the game is unable to continue and crashes with a crash dump message! I just can't continue!! Even if I go on holiday, the same result appears!!! This is so annoying!! I am playing a large database with 12 nations being loaded and my system specs far exceeds the minimum requirements! Why is this so??? Anybody else facing the same problem??

This is unacceptable, SI! I just can't continue at all! I tried cleaning my registry but the problem still persists!! I am on Vista 64-bit! :(

It's not that simple Marek, a software conflict means you'd need to uninstall everything on your PC, install FM then reinstall apps one by one until you hit the problem one, and it could be a software conflict in many cases.

Hardware conflict is less likely but tracking it is essentially the same.

It's likely SI can resolve the problem for most people once they can replicate it, you can't put a timescale on that unfortunately.

I just find it strange that I never have had a crash with any FM.

People are too quick to lay blame to SI's programming when its probably outdated drivers.

I know every year SI update the odd "fixed rare crash..." etc etc in their patches, but a lot of the time, its user specific and very unclean machines.

People are too quick to lay blame to SI's programming when its probably outdated drivers.

I know every year SI update the odd "fixed rare crash..." etc etc in their patches, but a lot of the time, its user specific and very unclean machines.

Right there are two separate issues here. The first is a 'tactics' screen crash - we've got an idea what's causing this and are working on it.

The second is the 'memory crash.' Basically we've had a fair few people comment about this, the majority of issues are caused by people just loading up too many players in the db and too many leagues. Running a big game will put pressure on your systems memory capabilities, and then when the 3D match engine loads, those demands will of course increase.

We suggest making sure all your graphic card drivers are up to date and follow everything Matt has suggested above (this can help), try not to run massive games with huge databases and making sure in your preferences you have auto-save on Incremental and the game saving weekly.

Turning off sounds and 3D will reduce the demands on systems, but obviously this isn't an ideal scenario. We are looking into it of course, but for now I can only recommend keeping your game sizes down, even if you think your machine is a beast. We'll try to keep you updated where we can and I promise you we are not ignoring these issues.

Thanks.

Yeah, it's a video card driver problem if we need to not load many players in the db, turn off sounds and not click the tactic button

Not a crash for me in 3 whole seasons.

Learn to maintain your pc's.

Update drivers, firmware, run defrag, disk clean up and check disk for errors.

If it were the game, I would be crashing all the time too.

I am not.

Computers are very different from each other. You might not have an error but others are.

Also despite that suggestion is always welcome, but the thing is some if not all that the problem persists is still ocurring the same error.

So coming in here say that nothing is wrong with the game because it runs on your computer is not that great excuse. SC runs on every computer and I tried to get playing on my for well over 3 months without any luck (also the factor was the users of the Sc forum weren't much help and to be honest many of them came bluntly like I was saying some sacrelidge and said that there was nothing wrong with the game it was my computer. But the thing is I run everything on my computer to Crysis to Adobe CS4 and Autocad, the only program I couldn't run was SC.

Anyway, there is technical problems that many people are facing (I'm not one of them, since the game works without a glitch, however you don't see me saying that there is nothing wrong with the game). What I'm open is possibility that SI let something escape without their knowledge (thousands of line of code can be little overwhelming sometimes.

Again has anyone tried my suggestion yet? (turning off the 3D?)

I cant wait for this 3D argument to spread into other areas of retail.....

'The new Honda Civic.......just dont use reverse'

'The new whirlpool wd500 washer dryer........make sure you turn it off before it runs the spin cycle or it will blow up'

Im being flipant (and tongue in cheek) of course but my point is that this wouldnt wash (pardon the pun) in any other retail transaction or industry. Its the responsibility of SI to make sure the game works as much as possible, I've never had trouble with any other FM or any other game or software and my latest crash was outside the 3d engine and the tactics screen. I tend to agree with the poster who made a great point further up this thread, SI clearly dont have the resources to test thoroughly enough to release this game yearly.

Im being flipant (and tongue in cheek) of course but my point is that this wouldnt wash (pardon the pun) in any other retail transaction or industry. Its the responsibility of SI to make sure the game works as much as possible, I've never had trouble with any other FM or any other game or software and my latest crash was outside the 3d engine and the tactics screen. I tend to agree with the poster who made a great point further up this thread, SI clearly dont have the resources to test thoroughly enough to release this game yearly.

I agree with you I do wonder if SI has enough people in the team to coup with the work of yearly release game? Especially from me since I'm still on FM07. Wonder what is my opinion on Fm08 and FM09. the FM10 opinion I'm willing to wait for any future release patches

I can give a my opinion?

I've see that problem is a memory leack, and afflige especially who have used a DB huge or big, and have a number of player in the DB considerable.

This take a lot of memory in run time (i have seen 1.6-1.7 Gb di ram for fm.exe...i have 4 gb ram at all and Vista as S.O.).

During the 3d match this memory was also used to manage the graphic and, although the graphical cards have of the own memory, used however some other RAM of the Motherboard. When fm.exe take 1.8 gb of ram (and happens sometimes) it crash.

Then a fast solution in order to resolve the problem, in waited for another patch, is paly the game with a Medium DB and a number of player inside not over 50.000. Infact the game take 1.0 Gb of memory in run time and never reach the fatidical threshold of 1.8 gb when crash.

Monitorate your memory and to try to find the just measure of largeness of the database that it avoids an exaggerated increase of the memory in use.

I just find it strange that I never have had a crash with any FM.

Stop being such an short sighted moron. My laptop is brand new and top of the range, it cost me over £1800 and yet I still get a crash dump every 4 hours of playing the game. My drivers etc are up to date - funnily enough my older laptop (5 YEARS OLD), which I am currently playing FM10 hasn't experienced a crash in over 2 days worth of playing. It's comments like yours which annoy me - your comments are based on nothing but twisted logic.idiot

The memory leak is a somewhat known issue. See these threads from the bugs forum:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=164379

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=161196

One temporary workaround is to save the game often, and then monitor the amount of memory FM is taking up with the Task Manager and quit the application and restart it (and reload your game) before it reaches the point where it crashes. Typically around 1.7 - 1.8 GB.

Dude stop being so conceited. Do you seriously believe everybody who has issues is wrong and you're right? There are loads of people who are probably just taking this game back as faulty who dont understand the issues at play, people who come onto the community to try and either complain or be constructive (both have the right) are likely to have at least a basic grasp on technology and plenty of the people on here are clearly programmers ot IT professionals. I am head of e-commerce for a major UK company and trust me, I've 'updated my drivers'.

Stop being so arrogant towards people who have every right to have the hump and acknowledge that SI may just have dropped the ball on this one.

There is no 'arrogance' or 'conceit' in my posting. And it has nothing to do with being 'wrong' or 'right' - look around the forums here - ive been answering thread after thread of people having issues installing the game, or having problems with their graphics drivers or this and that. I even got a thank you the other day (in fact, the guy offered me his wife - but im not sure whether that was a reward or a punishment :p)

I have no issues with people comming here to complain about the game SO LONG as they are willing to actually TRY and resolve the issue - unfortunately most people dont appear to be willing to try - its all a consequence of our instant gratification society - most people are only happy if they press a button and it works perfectly - but this is real life and things dont work like that. Its no wonder that so many games developers are shifting from PC to consol. With consols you make one game, test it on one machine and if it works, great. With PCs, you can test it on a million machines and STILL someone will have issues.

And as for saying that SI have 'dropped the ball' - well as I pointed out - quite clearly they HAVENT dropped the ball on this. Just because a small minority of people have issues with the game, doesnt mean that SI are at fault (it doesnt mean that they ARENT at fault either) - the point is, how many people have to have a problem before its 'SI's fault' - most people here either have a 'minor' issue or are very happy with the game - surely that means that SI have done a good job?

i have 6 nations running using a large customed data base. just got the freindly's out of the way and just before the first match of the season it keeps crashing. some times soon as i enter my pass word it crashes. i have ran the gam eon holiday and bypassed that date, but it's got to the stage now the crash is happening 98% of times i try, im even uninstalling Fm in hope it may help..

when i forst got the game i ran a 10 year holiday game just to check out the timing ect and i didn't have one crash.

im fed up with it now!!

• Administrators

We think the majority of issues are being caused by too many players being loaded into the game. There are certainly some crashes caused by user set-ups, which is why we are advising people to update drivers and the like.

Although I totally agree this isn't ideal, I would suggest only starting games on a medium or a large database (with no extra players added customly). As said though, we are looking at this and trying to get a resolution.

neil,

for those of us that like a game with a big database maybe you should look at allowing the game to use more than 2bg of memory? even thought it is a 32-bit application it can still be done. any game i have crashed when it nears the 2gb limit. which even games with medium databases can reach in a long career game.

• Administrators

Ideally yes of course, but until we have something in place then I just want you guys with issues to be able to play the game any way possible, which is why I'm recommending running smaller dbs and less leagues.

But that cant be true for all systems - I played for 9+ hours straight on sunday with a 32bit vista system with 4 gig of ram. Im running a large database (unmodified) and 20+ leagues (whatever the game reccomended for me +BSN/S). I didnt have a crash all day, and im in the 3rd season - by your reasoning I should have had some crashes -but I didnt.

• Administrators

Well some machines can handle it better than others. This is the problem, there are so many configurations out there, and during beta testing even with hundreds of testers this wasn't picked up at such a scale. I think the large database (as opposed to the large + custom) may be okay with a not crazy number of leagues/divisions. Do you run 3D as well?

you haven't hit the 2gig limit yet then maidel. to find out how close you are to it open up your game and check the task manager including columns such as working set, private memory set & commit size. if any of them near 1,900,000k on mine then it pops up the "dangerously low error message" and quits. annoying as i have 6gb of ram and if the program was allowed to allocated over this amount or was released as 64-bit as well as 32-bit it would be fine.

Ideally yes of course, but until we have something in place then I just want you guys with issues to be able to play the game any way possible, which is why I'm recommending running smaller dbs and less leagues.

im currently running 6 nations. english top 4, italian, spanish, german, french and dutch top league only set on large data base, i also included as an extra, all top clubs in europe to retain players as i did with most international teams retaining players, there was around 40000 player in total.

my star rating was 3.5 or 4 out of 5 set to this. my pc is a 2.4 quad core 4 gb ram 32bit..

in your reccomendation would you say this is considerd to much? if there is going to be a fix for this when is the patch likely to be released? i assume it will be in jan after the transfer window closes IRL?

you haven't hit the 2gig limit yet then maidel. to find out how close you are to it open up your game and check the task manager including columns such as working set, private memory set & commit size. if any of them near 1,900,000k on mine then it pops up the "dangerously low error message" and quits. annoying as i have 6gb of ram and if the program was allowed to allocated over this amount or was released as 64-bit as well as 32-bit it would be fine.

Well thats sorta my point as well - ive checked mine a bit, and it hasnt ever gone over 900K and it only started off at 850K 3 seasons ago.

Which meas one of two things - either you have done 50+ seasons to slowly creap it up (assuming that it goes up a bit after each season, which I dont know if is true) or, there is something else more intrinsically wrong with either your PC, or your set up of the game, or a combination of the two.

• Administrators
im currently running 6 nations. english top 4' date=' italian, spanish, german, french and dutch top league only set on large data base, i also included as an extra, all top clubs in europe to retain players as i did with most international teams retaining players, there was around 40000 player in total.

my star rating was 3.5 or 4 out of 5 set to this. my pc is a 2.4 quad core 4 gb ram 32bit..

in your reccomendation would you say this is considerd to much? if there is going to be a fix for this when is the patch likely to be released? i assume it will be in jan after the transfer window closes IRL?[/quote']

Personally I would think that would be okay, close to the high side but not that many leagues - we've had save games uploaded with between 100-300,000 players loaded! Have you checked your memory via the task manager whilst running the game? If so what levels has it reached?

Personally I would think that would be okay, close to the high side but not that many leagues - we've had save games uploaded with between 100-300,000 players loaded! Have you checked your memory via the task manager whilst running the game? If so what levels has it reached?

i will let yo uknow asap. im reinstalling my game and its taking ages on steam 2nite.. im currently running FM09 which has over 40000 players and even more leages running.

not sure info you need but on the performance tab it says U usage 4% and then under that it says 1.6 gb (physical memory) 3326 cached 1962 free 2 (kernal memory) totalt 170, paged 126, none paged 43, i know its last years game but it runs like a dream.

are they the areas you mean?

Well thats sorta my point as well - ive checked mine a bit, and it hasnt ever gone over 900K and it only started off at 850K 3 seasons ago.

Which meas one of two things - either you have done 50+ seasons to slowly creap it up (assuming that it goes up a bit after each season, which I dont know if is true) or, there is something else more intrinsically wrong with either your PC, or your set up of the game, or a combination of the two.

well i have a massive amount of leagues running and a 250000+ player database. i can lower it but the question should be asked why should i? considering my system is capable enough to run it. it's a limitation of the game that it flags up this generic memory warning when it nears 2gb of usage.

• Administrators
well i have a massive amount of leagues running and a 250000+ player database. i can lower it but the question should be asked why should i? considering my system is capable enough to run it. it's a limitation of the game that it flags up this generic memory warning when it nears 2gb of usage.

I totally agree, you shouldn't have to - but unfortunately at this stage it's all I can recommend until we have some kind of fix for it. Obviously not everyone is suffering with this issue, but as said I just want people to be able to play the game without crashes.

Is this the bit where smash my face into a brick wall from shear frustration?

When I played civilization II I always wondered why I couldnt make the world bigger, or why I couldnt have more than 8 opponents. My system could easily handle it, but the game wasnt designed to deal with that so I couldnt. Was that a 'limitation' of the game? No, it was just that was how the game was designed.

This game is patently not designed to run 250K player and 50+ leagues - when you go to the 'start a new game' screen and hit recommended - does it bring all those up all those leagues and all those players (im assuming it doesnt - if it does, disregard everything after this bracket) - no? Well why do you ignore what the game recommends and then complain when the game doesnt work properly?

3 Crashes in how many seasons? Had you been playing for 10 minutes or solidly since the game came out. Whats your system?

I think I had 10 crashes in FM09 - sure I played it for about 50 game years so its all relative.

Ive had 1 crash in 2 game years in FM10 - I dont find that 'unnaceptable'

One crash during 100 game years in still unacceptable because it is not ideal, it is not an expected behaviour.

Obviously SI is trying to nail as much as they can and it is out of question to test the game heavily on every possible hardware/software combination. I'm sure most of their users are gettings acceptable performance from their game but for the ones who are not; it is a legit concern.

Neil suspect database size; and James claims that limit is 2g.

Regarding these I have to ask why the game allows massive database if it is risky? I'm sure no one who selects massive database will prefer it if it comes with a warning saying "your game will crash sooner or later with this size database". And if James is correct then what if game tracks the memory usage and lets say it asks user to save and quit when it reaches ~1.9g, it is not the best solution but still way better than freezing completely, assuming it is a memory leak, reopening the game after quiting will make it start from optimal memory consumption level again.

Archived