Biggest fee for a football player

(Apologies if there is a topic on this already)

With FM2010 now out, it features the most expensive player ever Cronaldo, but what is the most you have sold a player for.

In CM 2001-2002, I bought Silvestre from Man Utd for an odd £20m and enjoyed his great command of the defence, at the end of the season, I think Inter approached me and enquired, I told them that he wasnt for sale, so they started a bidding war, one I will never forget because all the top teams in Serie A started bidding mental amounts, then Inter bid £70m, I said no, next day £90m, I said no (wanted to see how far I could push it), Roma then bid at £95m, I said no, then Inter bid at £110m, I said no, three days later I thought 'I've made a horrendous mistake', roughly a week after the 110m bid, Inter came in with a final bid £140m, I thought I'm not gonna get better than that, accepted it, bought in some awesome strikers, won the european cup that following season, meanwhile silvestre got injured for the whole season, best bit of business ever, one that I doubt that I'll ever repeat!!

Can't actually think of any off the top of my head, but it's got me thinking again about money being far too easy to come by in all versions.

You only need a couple of decent league finishes in the EPL and you have basically enough cash to buy the players needed to break into the top 4 the next season. I think finances should be reworked to make it harder to get bottom half EPL teams right up there. I'm not talking decades of slow steady progress, just something closer to reality.

I've seen plenty of 80-100m transfers in my time but I've never been involved in the buying or selling.

Archived