Disasters

Disasters

I wish that more disasters would hit the game, but only at a realistic level.

I’m thinking about small and big ones:

• Black outs, no light no fun, so the opposition wins with 0-5

• Paparazzi that busted players in a disgraceful position

• Bus accidents (With half your team injured, but not death !)

• Players involved in bar fights

• …

Disasters

• …

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick.Bateman:

Disasters

• … </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Needless. Pointless. And you know it.

These would add nothing at all to the enjoyment of my game and possibly take away from it even more than team talks do if that is possible!

Plus there'd be all manner of legal issues with real players.

How many times have half a team been injured in a bus accident anyway?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dar2000:

I could see this getting out of hand and becoming totally unrealistic tbh. Particularly with your first 3 suggestions icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...but only at a realistic level...

Black outs do happen! In the Belgian League it is happening once or twice a year. In some countries/leagues it's even worse.

Paparazzi? Not realistic? How is The Sun filling its pages then?

Bus accidents? Do not happen? Even entire teams get killed by airplane crashes: Manchester, Torino, National team of Zambia.

Again, they should not occur every week, but at a realistic level.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

These would add nothing at all to the enjoyment of my game and possibly take away from it even more than team talks do if that is possible!

Plus there'd be all manner of legal issues with real players.

How many times have half a team been injured in a bus accident anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know.

Now, they are busted in FM at bars as well…

I really think that the real players understand that they are not responsible for their digital alter ego in FM ïŠ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rinso:

maybe they're already coded in, but they happen so rarely we havent seen any?! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rumours say that some items occur very very rarely. They are that rare that nobody seems to know what is going on. icon_smile.gif

Of course, that could be the part of another urban legend as well. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robin_trott_hoof:

All a bit gimmicky. If there was a way to implement such things sensibly and realistically fine, but... well, you can't really.

Reminds me of the old Brian Clough computer/board management game where occasionally your three best players would be killed in a car crash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any insurance company can give you empirical evidence about any disaster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick.Bateman:

Disasters

• … </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always refuse to get insulting on these forums. It's not what they're here for. But I'm really struggling against the urge to type the word 'idiotic' after reading this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

Disasters

• … </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always refuse to get insulting on these forums. It's not what they're here for. But I'm really struggling against the urge to type the word 'idiotic' after reading this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm always wondering why people take time to write they have nothing to write. At least you could write why you have nothing to write. Now, it smells as a personal insult or am I mistaken?

You don’t have to agree with my opinion, at least I have one. Disagreeing by stating it’s all 'idiotic' without specifying why, is giving your opinion a low value.

I honestly can't see this type of feature adding anything to the game. For me there is no need for things like this.

Not only would these features feel 'wrong' to me but you open yourself up to all kinds of legal implications. Not only that but it may affect the games ability to get a 3+ age rating. SI are never going to risk either of these two possibilities becomeing reality.

Besides, can you imagine how many 'The AI cheats threads' would spring up every time the team that a player had spent years putting together suddenly got wiped out in a plane crash? It would effectively be game over.

I really think that the real players understand that they are not responsible for their digital alter ego in FM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, I can really see that working fine as a legal argument icon_rolleyes.gif

On an individual level, aside from any moral or legal objectives:

Blackouts - well, I remember a few games postponed to power cuts and/or floodlight failure. But if you want this, you'll also be wanting games cancelled at half-time through bad weather and the like. It'll just be a frustrating waste of time. And probably awkward to program what with the fixture congestions that already occasionally occur.

Tabloid stories - "Winger X In Sex Scandal" says your news item. What happens in the game? The player loses some morale for a week through stress? Or gains some from being in the scandal in the first place? It won't have any real impact.

Bus accidents - if you have injuries (which are going to be serious in some cases), have death for realism. Three examples of teams suffering from similar events hardly constitutes enough frequency to add it to the game.

Players fighting - we already have "striker X dislikes goalkeeper Y." What would this add? A few games missed with a broken hand, broken nose or cut face?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Players fighting - we already have "striker X dislikes goalkeeper Y." What would this add? A few games missed with a broken hand, broken nose or cut face? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or a golf club round the head (think Riise and Bellamy!!) icon_biggrin.gif

Imagine just before a big game you get a message come thru that your star signing of the summer was arrested fighing in McDonalds at 5 in the morning ! Or was caught dogging !

I think it would be hilarious !!

Never happen of course, but these things do happen irl.

Yeah, someone said something about the legal implications and they are right. Remember a while back when the Chinese or Japanese team had a reet royal paddy at SI for making them all crap? Now imagine if Craig Bellamy is playing happily on FM one day and he suddenly opens a news item with the headline, "Bellamy caught with his pants down" or "Bellamy: The Real Gender Bender" etc etc...

SI would need a great set of lawyers to get out of that.

It's a sad reflection when players, clubs, etc... get so upset over image rights that they won't license or permit the use of their "name" or "image rights" in a game.

In the "age of the claim", it's also sad if a player were to sue a company like SI for damages for "emotional trauma" caused if a fictional comment was made about them in the game. icon_rolleyes.gif

It would be nice for the media side to be beefed up in the future releases, but realistically, SI will always have to tread carefully.

I can only see the "rights" issues getting tougher in the future, with individuals and organisations refusing to allow use of their "name", "brand" or "image", unless they're paid for the privalige of course. icon_frown.gif

Archived