How to combat overconfidence?

My ass man is telling me during matches;

"Some of our players, namely X and Y, seem to be showing signs of overconfidence in warmups"

"X and Y seem to think our recent good performance is enough to continue winning"

What do I do about this, bench them a game or two?

The odd thing is, the two players in question haven't played all year other than as backups. They're quality players for sure, but they've got a chance to start every game now due to injuries and the African Cup, so it seems kinda weird. But oh well, it hasn't cost me yet so I suppose I'll let them be cocky.

I've had that same thought about non first choices becoming the most complacent. It does seem a bit strange.

As for trying to deal with it I suppose playing down your chances in pre-match press conferences to make your players want to prove you wrong and/or ripping them a new one at half time if underperforming is about all you can do.

ive gettin this at the moment, im on a 30 game unbeaten run at the mo, and im finding it hard 2 score cuz they are gettin complacment aganist lower teams, like pompey and stoke and most others!!! had a few 1-0s and drew 0-0 at home 2 pompey who were bottom!! i had a full team out and they just wouldnt perform!! was weird cuz i had liverpool the next game, same team out and beat em 4-1! lol

ive gettin this at the moment, im on a 30 game unbeaten run at the mo, and im finding it hard 2 score cuz they are gettin complacment aganist lower teams, like pompey and stoke and most others!!! had a few 1-0s and drew 0-0 at home 2 pompey who were bottom!! i had a full team out and they just wouldnt perform!! was weird cuz i had liverpool the next game, same team out and beat em 4-1! lol

lol... I went on a 7 game streak where I was averaging 15 shots, totally outplaying my opponents. And losing. 1-0, 2-0... one or two draws, but no wins. Despite all those shots, with fairly decent finishers. I mean, one guy had 17 goals on the season, and even he wasn't putting them in the net. They were performing, they just could finish. How the hell you fix that problem is beyond me... I tried everything.

Archived