Advice on managing Aston Villa

I can only play as my beloved Villa!

Anyway, while I've got Carew and Gabby banging in the goals at one end, I'm struggling to keep it tight at the back.

In the past I've always used a zonal marking system and played for offsides, but this year Dunne and Cuellar really

struggle to track any runners, and even lose the oppositions front players (i.e. basic defending)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In FM08 I bought a central defender called Naldo for Aston Villa. He was very good and cheap, dont know if he is the same in FM10 though.

Search him out and take a screen of his stats and value. Then I,ll let you know if he's as good as he was in FM08

I can only play as my beloved Villa!

Anyway, while I've got Carew and Gabby banging in the goals at one end, I'm struggling to keep it tight at the back.

In the past I've always used a zonal marking system and played for offsides, but this year Dunne and Cuellar really

struggle to track any runners, and even lose the oppositions front players (i.e. basic defending)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Isnt that the point of zonal marking? That players mark the zone rather than a man, and if the ball goes in that zone then it is that players problem to deal with. Personally, i use man marking all the way the way. After all, ive never seen a "zone" score a goal :D

Isnt that the point of zonal marking? That players mark the zone rather than a man, and if the ball goes in that zone then it is that players problem to deal with. Personally, i use man marking all the way the way. After all, ive never seen a "zone" score a goal :D

The problem with man marking is that the defender can get ripped out of position by a run into the channels and any forward thinking

midfielders are given the freedom of the park. Also, the defenders drop back too deep and find it difficult to hold a line away from the 6 yard box, making long shots so much more dangerous. I'd like to think that a defender will decide that a striker is worth tracking if he's through onto goal!

Am I alone in using zonal marking then?

In FM08 I bought a central defender called Naldo for Aston Villa. He was very good and cheap, dont know if he is the same in FM10 though.

Search him out and take a screen of his stats and value. Then I,ll let you know if he's as good as he was in FM08

Cheers fella, what style of defending did you use him in?

I managed to avoid resigning that particular Jellyhead.

What a dreadful keeper he was!

Ha ha.

Heres some real advice: play that youngster Delfounso or whatever his name is from the first season. I'm in my second season and he is not only your top scorer but the top premiership scorer.

Also i signed Naldo for my liverpool side like the OP said and he got an average rating of 7.45 in his first season. What a defender!

Try the good player forum (I think) there are club guides to practically any club in there.

For some reason I'd never checked in there before!

It would appear that a lot of people are having reasonable success, but a not point is there a discussion on which style of defending to

use - this makes me think that it should be obvious, did I miss a memo??

Ha ha.

Heres some real advice: play that youngster Delfounso or whatever his name is from the first season. I'm in my second season and he is not only your top scorer but the top premiership scorer.

Also i signed Naldo for my liverpool side like the OP said and he got an average rating of 7.45 in his first season. What a defender!

Cheers chap. The Fonz is a real talent, no doubt, but I got 60 odd goals out of a Carew Gabby partnership in my first season, so i'm not breaking that up unless I have to. I'll defo take a look at Naldo, his name keeps cropping up.

i think you need to be more defensive as a team. lower CA and mentality. it may cost you goals at one end but save you at the other. it's about getting the balance right.

Perhaps. A lot of people use Nigel Mediocre and Petrov as CM's, but NRC struggles to pass water let alone a ball. I don't want to lose

creativity from the centre of the park (I can get VDV on loan) but can't really expect to be super tight with so many attacking players.

The sooner Gerrard realises that Benitez is a muppet and signs the better ;-)

Archived