Man mark, Zonal marking or Default?

Man mark, Zonal marking or Default?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Man mark, Zonal marking or Default?

As the title say's, what do you do?

I heard Steve Bruce on MOTD say "For set pieces you want to zonal mark and also man mark, but If it's not a set play then man mark also zonal mark at the same time"

Other managers say different, but what Steve Bruce said is quiet hard to do on FM10.

From an experienced FM gamer, How could I improve in this area (as I'm not good at marking)?

Personally, I always have my centre backs set to man marking. Then, for attacking formations, I use zonal marking, as I want my players to be able to make advantage of the extra space when we gain possesion, but for defensive formations, I use man marking as I wan't to make sure the attacking players are given as little room as possible.

For set pieces, I always use man marking. I've had too many bad experiences of watching Liverpools woeful defending from from set pieces to ever want to risk using zonal marking from these situations

Set piece marking is always man marking in game, isn't it?

What Steve Bruce said makes little sense.

I just choose zonal marking at all times, but if there's one player I want to keep quiet, I'll have him man marked.

What the **** is default marking?

It let the tactical wizard decide for you which player has man-marking and which player has zonal marking.

If you choose "zonal" or "man" marking in the team instructions then all your players will use that marking system.

I think it'd be best if someone could actually outline the advantages and disadvantages of the two because I'm pretty sure it's good for different things, just not sure what.

Just posted this another thread :). Man marking all the way. After many years, playing football, watching it at grounds and on TV, and playing FM, ive still never seen a "zone" score a goal!

Well done on deliberately missing the point. It doesn't mean "mark a patch of grass", it means "mark anybody who comes close". Man marking, however, means "follow this guy wherever he goes".

Well done on deliberately missing the point. It doesn't mean "mark a patch of grass", it means "mark anybody who comes close". Man marking, however, means "follow this guy wherever he goes".

:rolleyes: I see some people have a sense of humour problem!

Also, zonal doesnt mean "mark anybody who comes close". It actually means "mark this zone, and if the ball comes into this zone, its player x's job to deal with it" Thats why zonal defending can be very dangerous at corners or set pieces as defenders are watching where the ball is/will go rather than a player that may be running onto the ball.

Just posted this another thread :). Man marking all the way. After many years, playing football, watching it at grounds and on TV, and playing FM, ive still never seen a "zone" score a goal!

Hey if a beach ball can score then so can a zone!

I'd suspect that results may vary depending on what other instructions you choose for your team. From what I have managed to test so far I'd agree with those that hint at zonal is better for attacking teams and man marking is better for defensive teams. I mostly play counter tactics with my side and going from zonal to default (supporting forward and central defenders/midfielders on man marking) in the second season has really made a positive difference. The first season we conceded 49 gls and now in the second only 2 from 7 games.

In real life, where defenders are much more intelligent, I'd utilize man-marking quite a lot.

In FM, I use zonal marking almost exclusively, and I have taken to ALWAYS leaving my center defenders on zonal. Maybe it's just the way things work out for me, but I see man-marking in game resulting in defenders chasing men all over the pitch and leaving gaps. It also destroys the line for playing an offside trap, which I do almost constantly.

The AI sucks against offside traps.

Archived