One on ones ! SI do you ever watch football?

What is it with this 'polished ' game !

Do you guys act play the game before releasing it? If so how did u not notice the fact players seem to find it nearly impossible for strikers or anyone 2 score if one on one, unless they round the keeper!

Now we are not talking ur beezer homes league strikers here no we are talking about torres, ibrahimovich, aguero, ballotelli and the list goes on!

any chance of fixing this er ' polished ' game si?

bradateng - how often do you watch football, and by that I mean live football at the stadium and not on television?

I suspect a more pertinent (and possibly less patronising ;)) question would be how often would you expect a striker to score from a one-on-one?

I suspect a more pertinent (and possibly less patronising ;)) question would be how often would you expect a striker to score from a one-on-one?

Firstly, I suspect it is probably a tactical issue, as it so often is in these kinds of instances.

Secondly, I don't feel that I was patronising in asking this question. The opening poster has questioned whether or not SI ever watch football in the title of his post. I think it is only far to ask the same question to him.

Regards,

C.

my strikers are reguarly through on a one on one only to be thwarted by the keeper it's defintly something wrong. Along with an inabilty to defend/keep clean sheet/a player not knocking the ball out for no apparent reason/score from a corner I honestly think this match engine is worse than before and si needs to get a patch out to fix this sooner rather than later as that last patch seems to have done sod all to fix the game!!

..becouse thery're not showing goalscoring chances on your TV? they always do on mine.

My opinion is that watching football live in the stadium gives the best chance of understanding the game. Personally, I think watching on TV is hugely inferior.

Often when people make claims such as the one in the opening post (do SI ever watch football etc.), you find that their own experience of football is watching highlights on the television. This is why I ask the question.

It would be interesting to know more about the opening poster's tactical choices and perhaps have some evidence presented to us (e.g. how many clear cut chances he is producing and how many goals he is scoring, and so on).

Regards,

C.

my strikers are reguarly through on a one on one only to be thwarted by the keeper it's defintly something wrong. Along with an inabilty to defend/keep clean sheet/a player not knocking the ball out for no apparent reason/score from a corner I honestly think this match engine is worse than before and si needs to get a patch out to fix this sooner rather than later as that last patch seems to have done sod all to fix the game!!

i have been very critical of the ME in the past (especially 09 that was frightningly bad), however SI are gradually getting there and this years attempt is bearable. I have two main gripes with this years ME which are too many long range goals (paul c reckons there fine, so i dont know what will happen with this) and the bar or post being hit 3 or 4 times a match. i have decided not to rant like a mad man like last year and just play the game and i am still finding it quite enjoyable. too say the ME is worse than ever is baffling too me when you compare it to 9.1 which like i said before was really bad.

..becouse thery're not showing goalscoring chances on your TV? they always do on mine.

Highlights are never going to include every single goalscoring chance, especially those that are missed by the strikers. If you only see highlights on a regular basis, your perception of how often strikers score is going to be badly skewed. I've seen it plenty of times on here with people insisting that strikers should be scoring 1 in 2 or 2 in 3 of one-on-ones.

My opinion is that watching football live in the stadium gives the best chance of understanding the game. Personally, I think watching on TV is hugely inferior.

Often when people make claims such as the one in the opening post (do SI ever watch football etc.), you find that their own experience of football is watching highlights on the television.

Regards,

C.

I agree if we're talking about 'complete' wiew, but if we're talking about goalscoring chances, you have replays of them on TV :)

my post was a joke, and I don't agree with OP, as we all know what would scores be like if even more goals were scored.

I'm scoring one every couple of games with Pompey's strikers, including John Utaka chipping the keeper. I've not really got anyone good in the air, so it is a major source of goals for me.

One thing I don't think people consider is how much pressure the defenders put on the striker in that situation, how they and the keeper narrow the angle, or whether they have been shifted on to their weaker foot. The graphics engine is not currently capable of showing that level of sophistication, so your first port of call should be to consider whether you are not seeing the full picture rather than to assume it's a flaw in the match engine.

Highlights are never going to include every single goalscoring chance, especially those that are missed by the strikers. If you only see highlights on a regular basis, your perception of how often strikers score is going to be badly skewed. I've seen it plenty of times on here with people insisting that strikers should be scoring 1 in 2 or 2 in 3 of one-on-ones.

Well said bigdunk. This was basically what I was getting at. :thup:

Often when people make claims such as the one in the opening post (do SI ever watch football etc.), you find that their own experience of football is watching highlights on the television. This is why I ask the question.

Depends where you are sitting really. The last game I went to (last Saturday) I was sat right behind the goal, although we had a great view for the goals at our end, I couldn't really see what was going on at the other end. I also couldn't really see the positioning of the players in the middle of the pitch too well. I would have seen a lot more had I been watching the game on television.

Sitting in the gods at Wembley was the complete opposite, fantastic view of the whole pitch and I could see a lot more than when watching on TV.

highlights?! extended or key? ;)

highlights?! extended or key? ;)

I don't know what the viewing situation is where you are from (I'm assuming you don't live in Britain, from your username, sorry if that's wrong), but over here if you don't have satellite TV, you get to see extended highlights of a couple of prem games per week and a small highlights package for the remaining games (basically just goals, red cards and maybe the odd other incident). That is it.

If you have satellite TV, you get to see maybe 2 or 3 live games a week, plus longer highlights of the rest. But you still can't watch full matches of your own team on a regular basis unless you attend games yourself.

Do YOU actually play the game?

One on Ones are spot on.

Actually strikers are a little "too" prolific.

following up from a penalty (his own penalty) mario righters 2 yards out could have placed it either side of the keeper and it would have been in with all the time in the world. he proceeds to shoot straight at the keeper.

okay his finishing may have been 8 but still no way a proffesional footballer would ever be THAT stupid?

i see why the game has to do it though. the match engine is a fine balancing act

Depends where you are sitting really. The last game I went to (last Saturday) I was sat right behind the goal, although we had a great view for the goals at our end, I couldn't really see what was going on at the other end. I also couldn't really see the positioning of the players in the middle of the pitch too well. I would have seen a lot more had I been watching the game on television.

Sitting in the gods at Wembley was the complete opposite, fantastic view of the whole pitch and I could see a lot more than when watching on TV.

My ST at Stockport is behind the goal, 35ish rows back, and I now hate viewing football from a side on view, or close to the pitch. I'm very much a behind the goal, stand on the back row person. There's nothing like seeing your team score in front of the net you're sat behind.

At Wembley, I sat in the 4th back row behind the West Stand goal, probably about 100 rows back. It was probably the best view of a game I've had. I just can't stand clubs who stick the away fans on the side. Also, it doesn't matter what view you have on TV, it still doesn't compare to being at the ground.(all imo of course)

following up from a penalty (his own penalty) mario righters 2 yards out could have placed it either side of the keeper and it would have been in with all the time in the world. he proceeds to shoot straight at the keeper.

okay his finishing may have been 8 but still no way a proffesional footballer would ever be THAT stupid?

i see why the game has to do it though. the match engine is a fine balancing act

Following up from a penalty with a gaping open goal, Steve Sidwell proceeds to shoot straight at the post, that would never happen in real life. Oh wait, it did. Yesterday.

The game has come on leaps and bounds since fm07 with regards to the match engine, im reading alot of these posts and usually 99% are tactic problems but many like so many before blame SI or bugs for certain problems.

My advice is work at your tactics and then come back if you dont notice a difference, but so many jump in too quick with both feet without weighing the pro's and con's.

Following up from a penalty with a gaping open goal, Steve Sidwell proceeds to shoot straight at the post, that would never happen in real life. Oh wait, it did. Yesterday.

I remember something similar happening a few years ago, Ipswich vs Norwich.

Darren Bent takes a penalty, hits the post, someone else follows up and the keeper saves it, and then Pablo Counago follows up to slot home.

I don't know what the viewing situation is where you are from (I'm assuming you don't live in Britain, from your username, sorry if that's wrong), but over here if you don't have satellite TV, you get to see extended highlights of a couple of prem games per week and a small highlights package for the remaining games (basically just goals, red cards and maybe the odd other incident). That is it.

If you have satellite TV, you get to see maybe 2 or 3 live games a week, plus longer highlights of the rest. But you still can't watch full matches of your own team on a regular basis unless you attend games yourself.

I guess unless you pay for Sky Sports or some other channel? you're right where I live we're able to watch a lot of live football. yestrday I watched Tottenham-Sunderland and Real-Atletico and I could have a couple of more games. Today I'm watching Chelase-Man Utd and Inter-Roma. other matches that we have on TV today are: Wolves-Ars, Lazio-Milan, Zaragoza-Valencia, Liege-Brugge, Norwich-Charlton, Martimo-Porto, Lyon-Marseille, Dinamo-Sibenik..

I've had exactly the same problem (and it's been like this since 07 - if not before). Playing as Werder Bremen I have Hugo Almeida, Claudio Pizarro and Aaron Hunt (plus supporting cast) and none of them are capable of scoring a one-on-one. I must score about 1 in 10 and that may be generous. I appreciate that there is usually a tactical solution to most problems (although do people not think that just replying 'It's your tactics' to every thread is both predictable and smug?) but how on earth can your tactics affect whether an international striker clean through on goal is capable of putting the ball past the goalkeeper? One-on-ones are by definition not a matter of tactics because they only involve a single player.

I've had exactly the same problem (and it's been like this since 07 - if not before). Playing as Werder Bremen I have Hugo Almeida, Claudio Pizarro and Aaron Hunt (plus supporting cast) and none of them are capable of scoring a one-on-one. I must score about 1 in 10 and that may be generous. I appreciate that there is usually a tactical solution to most problems (although do people not think that just replying 'It's your tactics' to every thread is both predictable and smug?) but how on earth can your tactics affect whether an international striker clean through on goal is capable of putting the ball past the goalkeeper? One-on-ones are by definition not a matter of tactics because they only involve a single player.

Sometimes it plainly isnt just your tactics though. If your tactic is creating the clear cut chances for the strikers then essentially your tactics aren't far wrong. Its then that you need to look deeper, at the players form, morale. Even his preferred moves and training.

I guess unless you pay for Sky Sports or some other channel? you're right where I live we're able to watch a lot of live football. yestrday I watched Tottenham-Sunderland and Real-Atletico and I could have a couple of more games. Today I'm watching Chelase-Man Utd and Inter-Roma. other matches that we have on TV today are: Wolves-Ars, Lazio-Milan, Zaragoza-Valencia, Liege-Brugge, Norwich-Charlton, Martimo-Porto, Lyon-Marseille, Dinamo-Sibenik..

With Sky Sports and ESPN there's a decent variety of live games on TV. In fact, there are 12 different matches being shown on TV today as you can see here, then there's all the highlights and analysis shows on top of that.

I have Owen is season 2 and he misses at least 1 one-on-one a game, sometimes up to 3, his finishing is 18 and IRL he'd slot them away 90% of the time, have to agree with the OP!

And here comes someone to prove my point exactly. Top class strikers score somewhere around 20-25% of on-on-ones, with maybe the odd freakishly brilliant finisher (Shearer, Ruud van Nistelrooy etc) getting higher. No striker in the world scores 90%.

do agree, this problem are being discussed elsewhere aswell. it's almost impossible to score on one on one. all top players like kaka, CR9, messi, ibra, torres, villa couldn't score in my game, not only one chance, each atleast 2-3 chances.

To the people who think the one-on-ones aren't being scored enough:

Are you watching in 2d or 3d? It could just be an animation issue if it is in 3d, I've been watching in 2d and even when strikers are through on goal, if they are going away from goal or have had a heavy touch, I don't expect them to score. Maybe this isn't being conveyed into 3d?

Guest markyosullivan

I've noticed this as well. Players in the Championship and League 1 aren't that bad, they should be able to score at least 8/10 when facing one on one with the keeper.

I've noticed this as well. Players in the Championship and League 1 aren't that bad, they should be able to score at least 8/10 when facing one on one with the keeper.

Dont be stupid, read the quote below.

And here comes someone to prove my point exactly. Top class strikers score somewhere around 20-25% of on-on-ones, with maybe the odd freakishly brilliant finisher (Shearer, Ruud van Nistelrooy etc) getting higher. No striker in the world scores 90%.

One on ones need a little tweaking but nothing major. What needs tweaking is the amount of one on ones, as always in FM games. Strikers can break a defense very easily and run with ball all alone. My strikers in Napoli do it all the time. It's starting to feel like I have discovered some exploit. It isn't though because the AI does this too.

SI please make the strikers less able to break the d-line and run all along behind the defense.

One on ones need a little tweaking but nothing major. What needs tweaking is the amount of one on ones, as always in FM games. Strikers can break a defense very easily and run with ball all alone. My strikers in Napoli do it all the time. It's starting to feel like I have discovered some exploit. It isn't though because the AI does this too.

SI please make the strikers less able to break the d-line and run all along behind the defense.

Its the AI's tactics! ;):D

Please cite your statistical sources for this 20-25% claim. That goes for everyone here talking about numbers.

Also, you need to define a one-on-one. If a striker is past the last line of defense and only just coming into the penalty area, that's far different than a one-on-one near the six yard box. Many strikers waste good opportunities when they panic and take a shot far too early, largely because they have poor composure or feel they have very limited time and space.

There is a big difference between a one-on-one with distance to spare and one where the player dribbles in close and the goalkeeper has almost no chance.

Which type is the OP talking about? If he's repeatedly seeing players waste one-on-one opportunities when they have gone clear AND have dribbled in on the keeper, then I think there would be grounds for concern.

Please cite your statistical sources for this 20-25% claim. That goes for everyone here talking about numbers.

you'll have to wait till i get my daily paper on monday

where i can provide actual statistical numbers for 6 teams that played over the weekend

ie

Forest vs whoever

Notts County vs whoever

Mansfield vs whoever

From memory each match has had 15-20 Shots @ goal over the last few weeks ... the games are not ending with 12-15 goals being scored, 2-3 is a more representative average.

Minimum Possible % - 2 from 20 is 10%

Maximum Possible % - 3 from 15 is 20%

Obviously those are only approximate numbers, based on the Total Shots at Goal, so those %'s above include Set Pieces, Long Range Shots, Close Range Shots & One-on-One's.

If we're generous and weight each of the above scoring methods equally then One-on-Ones get a quarter of those values (2.5% & 5% become your 1-on-1 scoring percentages).

Archived