Long-term AI squad management

I've holidayed through to 2019 in my game, to see how the AI manages its squads in the long term. Although the squads are certainly faring better than in FM09, there are still certain issues remaining. AI still seems to hang on to older players too long - the average league squad age, and the average age at the top squads that I've checked out, has gone up from ~23 at the start to ~27-28. Based on my quick observation, the quality of squads has also suffered, perhaps due to there not being enough just-below-world-class newgens (just a hunch). Also, the top clubs (which are still top in the year 2019) are playing some uncapped English players in key positions - such as an uncapped English centremid who made 22 appearances for Chelsea in 2018-19.

Finally, this is more of a request for the future, and it's been stated before, but it would be sweet if SI created different squad management strategies for AI to use - so that the Wengers of the world would put more emphasis on young bargain buys than others. This is for another thread, though - basically, there should be more of a consistent "idea" behind the makeup of an AI squad - at least those with the funds to be picky.

But to return to my main point, has anyone gotten far enough to weigh in on the long term AI squad management? Has SI found the long-term squad age to be consistent? Is the average age spike a result of the newgens not being good enough to replace the ageing stars - and will this not be an issue once the real players have retired and there is no more gap between them and the newgens? Looking forward to your thoughts.

wow im suprised you got that far without it crashing

is the real squad age really 23? i thought it would be higher?

Yup - no problems with stability at all for me, actually. I'll correct myself - the average Prem age was 24 as of October 09. I think that part of the rise in average age may have to do with the fact that some squads at the beginning have a significantly lower average age (Arsenal). This really goes to my second point in the original post - the squads at the beginning have more personality; we can often see the manager's squad management philosophy coming through in the composition. But as time goes on, the squads become more homogenized, since (apparently) the AI uses the same decision matrix for all clubs. So maybe it's not that every squad's average age goes up, but that those few squads which were bringing the average down have gotten significantly older? Anyway, this still doesnt explain why a top-4 English club would have an uncapped domestic regular...

If this were fixed, and the striker scoring were toned down, we'd have one hell of a game

Just to add, I holidayed to 2019 twice. First time for fun, running only the English top division - that's where I noticed that there were still issues with squad management. The second time, I loaded about 10 of the top leagues (all view-only, except England), and dropped England down to Championship.

Archived