How to stop players from shooting from distance all of the time???

I'm having big trouble with my chelsea team firing or misfiring should I say, shots from all over the park! I'm averaging about 12 long shots per game which is rediculous as the opposition often has less than 5. Ive had a look on the tactics screen but cant find anything to control this. From what I remember,you could set "long shot" instructions under individual instructions but I am yet to come across this in FM 2010.

can anyone help meout here?

At the tactics screen, click on one of the players on the field and it'll show his position and mentality (i.e. attack, support defend). Click 'advanced' and you there are a ton of things you can edit, one of which is 'long shots.'

If my team is shooting too much from distance I will issue a quick instruction to "work ball into box" or "pump ball into box." Mainly "work into box" does the trick and they stop being so dumb. You may want to make your strikers into advanced forwards or poachers depending on their skill levels. Also if you have a MC set to attack he will take longer shots, which is fine if he is a good shooter, but if not, make him support. Might also help to make wings in a 4-4-2 support, but I find attack works well for them, but results may differ depending on team.

If I'm assessing the entire team, I go to the tactics screen and use: show players (if not already listed), views, long shots.

Just to note, the 'work into box' touchline shout seems to have the effect of changing the long shots option for all players to 'rarely'.

For me this is a bug i put every player to rarely shot from long distance but they still shooting, is impossible.

dont worry about that. rarely just means they wont shoot at every turn, but they will still shoot if there is a clear shot. but if a player is set to rarely and is shooting constantly even when their is a pass on then thats a problem.

Just wizzed through the posts so somebody may have said this but but look on a players preferred moves and if they like shooting from long range then interact with them to attempt to stop this. They may not want to change their game but if they say they will give it a go then it may take some time. :)

my two central midfielders are also set to "rarely" and they keep shooting many times from long distance,it really gets annoying when i'm trailling by a goal or two...:)

Check PPMs. Otherwise is it possible you're playing with the tempo too high? They may lack the creativity and flair to pick out a good pass in counter attacking football, and if you've told the team to push forward quickly then they may be left with the only (or best) option to shoot. Try slow it down a bit so they have more passing options

Umm, if you already put them to shot rarely it has to be something with the way your tactics work.

As some said above, use the shouts to work the ball into the area, play a little less offensive, so with a control tactic you can open more spaces in the opposition and maybe create better chances (some CCCs maybe). And maybe play a less creative style, so players stick MORE to your instructions and not their instincts.

Archived