Graphics card assitance

I currently have the following graphics card in my PC: 128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200

When I watch the 3D match engine the play is very jumpy and having read the manual I realise that my video card is not up to standard. I would therefore like to upgrade to the recommended 128MB NVidia FX 5900 Ultra.

I cannot seem to find anywhere to buy this or even find a price for it. Is it something that can be bought as a one-off component and be plugged in? Or is there more to it ie. a new system? :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated.

same one i have, works like a charm on most games with high settings, can play fm with ease

This price is okay - FM is really the only game I play so if it works great with this then that's all I need!

Is it something I can just plug in? Do I need to check it's compatible with anything else?

Thanks for the help.

This price is okay - FM is really the only game I play so if it works great with this then that's all I need!

Is it something I can just plug in? Do I need to check it's compatible with anything else?

Thanks for the help.

You'll have to first remove the drivers for your current card. Then open the case and remove your current card and replace it with the new one. If, like me, your using windows 7 then you can get drivers from the ati website.

before jumping the gun are you sure he has a PCI-E slot and not an AGP

Doesn't matter if your card is AGP or PCI-E the process is still the same. Remove drivers for old card then switch off computer and remove the power plug, remove old card, replace new card then finally install drivers for new card.

Thanks for all the assistance!

I do infact have an AGP slot in my machine. Just upgraded to a 350W power supply and have installed a Gigabyte GeForce 6200 256MB AGP DVI-I graphics card. Picked it up for ~£35.

Even with this new card I seem to be suffering from the same jumpy 3D match replay problems which I am a bit disappointed about especially because I am now above the recommended system specs. I didn't uninstall the old drivers though before installing the new card so I'll try that and cross my fingers.

Otherwise it looks like I may need to upgrade again! Can I just ask whether this is solely a graphics card problem, nothing to do with my processor (P4, 2.8GHz) or anything else? I'm running XP by the way too and have 2GB of RAM.

A 6200 is probably not as good as a 5900. A 900 is the high end of the 5 series, whereas the 200 is the low end of the 6 series.

Thanks - I'm learning all the time! £35 a lesson :rolleyes:

All I want to do is be able to enjoy the 3D experience of this great game - without the risk of suffering a fit!!!

In this case, could you suggest me a suitable graphics card then, because I am struggling to understand all this business. It would be much appreciated. I now have a 350W PSU, an AGP slot and I'm running Windows XP on a P4, 2.8 GHz processor.

The guy in my local PC World said as long as I was buying a higher number in the NVidia GeForce series then I would be fine. :confused:

Thanks - I'm learning all the time! £35 a lesson :rolleyes:

All I want to do is be able to enjoy the 3D experience of this great game - without the risk of suffering a fit!!!

In this case, could you suggest me a suitable graphics card then, because I am struggling to understand all this business. It would be much appreciated. I now have a 350W PSU, an AGP slot and I'm running Windows XP on a P4, 2.8 GHz processor.

The guy in my local PC World said as long as I was buying a higher number in the NVidia GeForce series then I would be fine. :confused:

Also - should I be going for the highest memory possible with these cards? 512MB seems to be the highest available on the market for an AGP card.

Definitely update your drivers and definitely update DirectX if it's jumpy. Also, just try turning off stadia etc and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for this tip - have made the updates suggested.

I just ran the game with my new GeForce 6200 card on Low Graphical Detail and all other options unticked apart from Enable Weather Effects'.

A noticeable improvement but it seems a shame to have to strip things to the bare bones. Anything more than the above makes my eyes want to fall out!

I accept that I might be pushing things with my system a bit but I'm well above the system requirements in all areas other than the graphics card it would seem.

Would love someone to tell me what to purchase and find the graphics card for me. I cannot find this magical FX 5900 Ultra on sale anywhere...

You may have a new graphics card but that doesn't necessarily mean you have the most up to date drivers - definitely check that out.

I can confirm I have the latest driver. I used NVidia's own automatic driver detect option and it says I have the latest driver available and no update is required.

I have the latest DirectX too from their website.

The more I learn, the more I think that my new graphics card is still not good enough. I don't mind that I may have made a mistake, I just don't want to make another one. So if one of you kind SI guys could tell me what I need for my system, in order to play your game with full functionality, I'd be a very satisfied (and very long serving) customer :thup:;)

You should never listen to the people in PC World FFS :D

Lesson learned - the hard way!!! :thup:

Thanks for your suggestions. Which of the following two would you go for - assuming they are superior to those you've included?

1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002I9FGTQ/ref=asc_df_B002I9FGTQ484888/?tag=shopzil_ret235-21&creative=7966&creativeASIN=B002I9FGTQ&linkCode=asn

2. http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-ati-radeon-4650-hd-600mhz-1gb-agp-dvi-6458.html

I really appreciate your help. Should have this all sorted soon.

Best regards

PS - Please disregard price. All I want is to watch the 3D engine with full detail so I want the card/package with the best performance.

I've got one of those (not the eBuyer Value one but the same spec) and it plays FM10 on maximum details beautifully.

To get an idea of what goes where in terms of the range of cards available, have a look at these comparision tables:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/131 (ATi)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132 (nVidia)

Personally I'd get the ATi 3450 from Aria - for less than £40 you can't go wrong.

Archived