What do you love most?

Morning all,

After finishing 4th with my promotion chasing Oldham team on 89 points and then losing in the playoffs, I thought... I'm going to go onto the FM forum and bemoan all that's bad about the game (shots to goals ratio, super keepers etc..), however I always seem to moan so I have changed my stance, the game has it's faults, as do all games and the forum can get a little negative at times, but we all keep on playing, why??? that's your reason and your reason only, for me is that I have a hectic job and Bryan Robson is destroying my football team in real life, so FM gives me a few hours escape from reality.

So my question is... what do you love most about the game, even if it's the most minute detail.

If you think this post is pathetic and boring, then I apologise.

I will get us started, I love it when I bring a youth player into the first team and he starts scoring, I also love it for that matter to see my new striker score on his debut...

Morning all,

After finishing 4th with my promotion chasing Oldham team on 89 points and then losing in the playoffs, I thought... I'm going to go onto the FM forum and bemoan all that's bad about the game (shots to goals ratio, super keepers etc..), however I always seem to moan so I have changed my stance, the game has it's faults, as do all games and the forum can get a little negative at times, but we all keep on playing, why??? that's your reason and your reason only, for me is that I have a hectic job and Bryan Robson is destroying my football team in real life, so FM gives me a few hours escape from reality.

So my question is... what do you love most about the game, even if it's the most minute detail.

If you think this post is pathetic and boring, then I apologise.

I will get us started, I love it when I bring a youth player into the first team and he starts scoring, I also love it for that matter to see my new striker score on his debut...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by niktheblade1:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the fact Fulham are relatively successful in the game. It's the only chance we'll ever have to play in the Champions League!

CM & FM have also made me look rather learned on world football and up and coming players for years now! It has a geeky attraction to it!

I love how all consuming the game can become.

You sit there at work, with a blank look on your face, because, as someone is asking you where that report is they wanted an hour ago, you are busy thinking about who you could buy to replace your ageing left back

It's great when I watch an early round european game and come out with a comment like "such and such is an amazing player" without ever actually having seen him play for real, I base my comment on the fact that I once bought him for Rushden and Diamonds for 50k and he scored 40 goals per season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JR866Gunner:

fulham arent ever that good on mine! they are officially a yo yo team for the prem </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant successful when I'm in charge! So in conclusion I should be offered the job in real life?!

And therein lies another gem - we con ourselves into thinking we could actually do better job then the real life managers!

I love it that it's really difficult to get promoted.

Playing at Wakehurst in NI2, I've had so many teams poach my players and there's not a thing I can do about it because my budget can't accomodate the increased salary demands. I'm already 22K over budget and 2nd in the table and my players are leaving for better contracts, not staying for the championship run...my board's disgusted with my financial control, my developing players (who are still carp) won't sign for anything less than 5K a year, my starters and key players want to play for reputable teams...

Now I'm finally starting to understand how Bolton feels about Anelka, Tottenham with Berbatov, Sunderland trying to get anyone worthwhile, and Watford with King.

I love the fact that my players have depth and character: rather than just being a collection of numbers, they react to the same events in different ways, which makes them feel like people to me.

I get more into seeing how long a veteran can hold on, or how a youngster is going to develop, than I do into the results on the pitch!

That, and how intense the game feels in "must-win" matches, such as finals and "last game of the season" showdowns.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neilb242:

You sit there at work, with a blank look on your face, because, as someone is asking you where that report is they wanted an hour ago, you are busy thinking about who you could buy to replace your ageing left back </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I'm not alone then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pyewackett:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neilb242:

You sit there at work, with a blank look on your face, because, as someone is asking you where that report is they wanted an hour ago, you are busy thinking about who you could buy to replace your ageing left back </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I'm not alone then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, what's you say?

I love spending hours chatting with my fellow FM playing buddies down the pub or on MSN about the virtues of my latest formation and my newest superstar signings.

Of course our other friends think we're completely sad and detatched from reality !!!!

Network games with the same buddies are also reaaly good fun when we can finally manage to work out how to set it up !!

Also I love it when you sign a player that you've never heard of then you see them on the telly either in the Champions League or some other more obscure program like Transworld Sport when they show highlights of the Argentinian/Brazilian/Japanese leagues.

In gameplay I like nothing more than having a statue dedicated to me outside the ground of the team I'm managing :-)

Lately I love FM the most for making me avoid having to watching god awful daytime telly as I've been signed off work for 3 months.

I love finding good youngsters. Once I've got a great first team and a great backup team, I get bored for a few seasons until those players are too old and I start again.

I also like that I can watch TV and just keep banging continue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pyewackett:

So I'm not alone then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, what's you say? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am at work on a FM forum.

Finishing the last few games of a season with my semi-pro team and deciding to call it a night. Then deciding to click continue a couple of more times and seeing the beautiful message that my board has decided to take my club professional.

Ended up staying up half the night trying to sign all the great players that were suddenly interested now that my team was pro.

I loved when this season I finally could play CL for the first time (2024/25). I won 3rd qualification round against Olimpiakos after a 0-0 draw at home (I outplayed them but could'n win) and a 1-1 there in a game I deserved to lose, but played quite defensive and managed to draw. Then I started winning in Lisboa in 1st group stage, lost at home against AC Milan and managed to draw at Nice.

Then I lost next 3 games and returned to reality. That shown me I must work harder icon_razz.gif

I love getting the win that sends a rival team down...even when managing a side I don't care about at all IRL.

I love finding players on the cheap, getting the best out of them, and flogging them on for bucketfuls of cash.

I (grimly) love the feeling when you've been hammered by a better side, but your centre mid hits a screamer from outside the box as consolation, that 'Get in, you...' moment.

I love the way the game becomes almost real, to the point where I want to scream at the players when they screw up, peel the paint in the dressing room at full time, and then pretend I love them all like sons the next week when they battle for a 1-0 win.

So, does FM simulate football, then? icon_wink.gif

I love the contrast and escapsism with real life. On the one hand there's my relatively unstressful job and contented life, then of an evening I can escape into the stress of football management where I change from being a polite and reasonable human being into a ranting and raving lunatic swearing at little blobs on my computer screen whether they represent referees, opposition players or my own players.

It's so refreshing to escape intoa world where, if my alter-ego was real, I would probably drive myself to a heart attack, nervous breakdown or just simply get carted off to a mental institution after one deranged touchline rant too many icon_smile.gif

Archived