Not using sliders

Is there anyone who just doesnt use sliders at all - and only uses the wizard creator and at most only changes some of the options like specific marking, attacking corners and wide play? Also, if you do - how are you getting on? I am quite interested in how this method of playing actually pans out.

You know from our past conversations that I'm a micro-managing control freak .. ;)

.. but I'm actually trying that for now, mostly to see if I can make it work in my "test drive" game, before I start out on my serious career save. Middling success, so far, but I have a mid-table Championship side so that's expected.

What I've appreciated is that the team really plays the way I think I'm asking it to; the on-pitch movement looks better than it has in previous ME's. Also, having the touchline shouts as an option is really fun, it makes me feel much more involved on matchday, which I wasn't expecting. I'd gotten fairly formulaic in my past saves, running much the same substitutions at the same times, and tactical changes at the same strategic points, so this has gotten me out of that rut.

What I'm half expecting is that I could build out my FM'09 tactical suite and have it work to get me better results on the pitch .. but have less fun doing it.

... but maybe that's just the "new and shiny" factor. :D

I did it with Grimsby and managed 13th - great for a team expected to consolidate... Really enjoyed the save but the finances put me off and I didn't fancy another season of mid-table mediocrity, so I've started a new game with Chesterfield...

I haven't used them as Liverpool and I've done really well. I know there a top team so it shouldn't be too hard but 2 years in and I have 2 league titles and a CL Title. I've only used sliders a few times, like when I want to drop the d-line but still attack. Otherwise just been playing with player roles and such.

The appealing thing about this approach is time. It is very quick to approach the game in this way without doing any tweaking.

Usually tweaking can take a long while, so it's longer to get through seasons. This is what appeals to me because i struggle to have the time to get into long-term saves.

But for me i only use sliders. I might give the wizard/shouts a go at sometime though, only using them and no tweaking - for sheer speed.

I only used the Wizard to create my tactics and I have not used the clasic sliders at all for any part of my tactics. In my opinion my tactics are working very well for me although it took me a while to perfect them.

I am currently in my 3rd season with spurs.

1st Season:

I finished 8th (56pts) but I shipped out Hutton and a few reserve players without bringing in any replacements.

Out

Alan Hutton >> Sunderland £3.8M

Steven Caulker >> Bristol City £800K

Jonathan Obika >> Stoke £600K

No real mass exodus or change to the squad.

2nd Season:

I finished 4th(73pts) sold most of the unwanted players and brought in minimal transfers. Managed to win the Euro Cup along the way which was a nice bouns.

On a side note I somehow didnt qualify for Champs League. Read other post for more detail. (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=164419)

In

Miguel Veloso £17M

Jack Rodwell £13.5M

Jorge Villegas £3M (Youth)

Tom Turon £2.2M (Youth)

Out

Jermaine Jenas >> Valencia £8.5M

Peter Crouch >> Aston Villa £7.5M

Tom Huddelstone >> Newcastle £6M

Jamie O'Hara >> Hull £5M

Micheal Dawson >> Hull £5M

Danny Rose >> Hull £1.5M

Carlo Cudicini >> Fiorentina £550K

A Few Free Transfers

3rd Season:

I currently sit in 1st place (14th Jan). Also managed to win Euro Super Cup. Didnt sign anyone but sold a few.

Pld Won Drn Lst Pts

Spurs 22 15 5 2 50

Arsenal 22 14 3 5 45

Man City 22 13 5 4 44

Liverpool 21 11 7 3 40

Chelsea 21 12 3 6 39

Man Utd 22 9 8 5 35

Out

David Bentley >> Aston Villa £5M

A Few Free Transfers

I've just used the creator with Arsenal and managed to get them playing very similar football to real life with it. They control possession successfully against smaller teams although I have had to switch to a counter attack sometimes against more difficult clubs, as do the real Arsenal.

Most importantly of all, I'm scoring loads of goals too.

First 3 games finished 4-0 against Sunderland, 2-0 against Celtic and 5-1 against Hull. Only 1 goal away from the same results as the real Arsenal in the first 3 games.

Overall I'm very impressed with it, it's easy to create realistic tactics and very easy to quickly implement changes. I'm the same as Amaroq, in 09 I used the same tactic all the time, letting them play the first half, taking off the worst guy at half time, then most tired person at 60 minutes, then if I'm losing in a cup making it more attacking on 75 mins, or if I'm 1 up against a tough team turn up time wasting at 75. Whereas now with the shouts and backroom advice, I'm constantly adjusting tactics before the match, and changing things in real time as the match plays, instead of just leaving them to do their job whilst I go on the internet.

Big step forward for FM and implemented very successfully imo.

You are getting on well there hunkofjunk - maybe you didn't get into the champs league because another English team who finished out of the top 4 won the champions league. Hence the reason why they go to the champions league as holders instead of you. The only thing I am concerned about is that closing down is set very high for wingers and strikers even on default level - and that could be very bad for strikers with low stamina. Does anyone else find this and if you do how do you counter-act that?

PS - Do you guys edit any of the advanced stuff (not the sliders) but wide play, specific man marking, where crossing takes etc.?

I started with Liverpool and have barely touched the sliders, only time I have was to bring the defensive line back a notch or 2. I'm going well, still in my first season but Ive won the league cup and am 9 pts clear of Chelsea at the start of March and still in the FA Cup and Champs League.

Ive also just started with Nantwich and again havent touched the sliders and after a slow start I'm doing quite well and into the FA Cup first round and 8th in the Northern Premier League with 2 games in hand.

I much prefer using the wizard and it has stopped me being lazy. Like others before I would set up a tactic and play it out and just make subs when needed ie injuries or poor ratings and let the game play out with the same tactic every time. Now I have a base tactic and adjust it for the individual player roles depending on the opposition and players available.

Is there anyone who just doesnt use sliders at all - and only uses the wizard creator and at most only changes some of the options like specific marking, attacking corners and wide play? Also, if you do - how are you getting on? I am quite interested in how this method of playing actually pans out.

me!

so far, only tweak using the "roles" and touch line instructions and ass man advice for opponents' player instructions..

Archived