Unfair treatment after 2nd red card

I've always been under the impression that players are supposed to react in the game the way they would in real life to disciplinary issues. I've had a player receive a red card, and I warned him. He accepted the warning and indicated that he'd try to keep more under control in the future (or whatever the wording is).

First game back after his suspension and he gets himself sent off again. Now, I always took the warning to be a final warning before fining, hence why its placed in between no action and the fines. Having just had a warning two weeks before for this very same thing, surely this second red card warrants a one week fine, especially as it subsequently caused us to lose the match. Both this player and SEVERAL team mates have now reacted angrily, claiming he's received unfair treatment. Of course, there's STILL no way to actually communicate with players properly, so I'm stuck having to accept that he thinks the treatment is unfair, even though anyone with half a brain can see it isn't.

One way to sort this out in future is to set clear disciplinary procedures throughout the club. First red is a warning, second red is a 1 week fine. As a manager I should have the choice to make this clear before a ball has even been kicked. This would make it very clear to players that this is standard procedure, nobody is being made an example out of, nobody is being treated any differently. It wouldn't stop them thinking that its harsh at times obviously, but there should also be a more clear message about this.

Does the player think that the red card was a mistake, and therefore he shouldn't have been punished? Does he accept punishment, but think a fine is too harsh? As it stands, I have no real idea why he's complaining, and he seemingly doesn't see the correlation between his previous warning for a red card and the fine he's just received. This has been a problem in FM since way back in the CM days, and I hope its something that will be improved upon pretty soon.

It is so strange because I have seen people posting that their players were complaining that the manager had a lack of discipline. If any of my players get sent off for violent conduct i.e. 2 footed tackle, elbowing, punching, he gets a 2 week fine even if it is his first time, otherwise I use the same method as you do. Try putting him in the reserves for say 6 games and see if he continues to get sent off, if he does then at least he is not disrupting your 1st team squad and then you can decide whether you get rid of him or not.

I agree with everything you said. There really should be more control over discipline and the current warning/fine system doesn't really work. I've even had the board on my case for fining too often in the past.

The only way that seems to work is to take into account the offense that resulted in the red card. I use fines only if the player has been sent off for violent behaviour (two footed tackles, elbows, etc.), warn them for any other red card offenses (intentional handball, professional foul, etc.) and usually take no action for two yellows, unless there is some kind of violent conduct involved.

This is not necessarily how I would like to deal with disciplinary issues, but it seems to work and it's rare that I get any backlash. Maybe this is something that can be improved in future versions.

Just to follow-up, within 2 weeks, every member of the team including this player himself has now resolved the issue without me really doing anything further. At least my team morale isn't shot, but I'm still just as confused by the whole thing. I still hope its looked at for future versions of the game.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem.

My 2 Central Defenders (Stephen Taylor and Coloccini) from Newcastle have a high Aggresion. THey almost EVERY match get a yellow card which let's say it's ok.

But they get a lof of RED cards to. Last match Coloccini got a Red Card in minute 60. I gave him a Warning. Next match Taylor got a red card, and I warned him before. I gave him a 1 week fine and he feels that he was treaten unfair.

DUDE. I TOLD YOU TO STOP TAKING RED CARDS and he said "he accepts his warning".

Archived