EPL hardest league to win ?

First off let me start by saying that this is not a complaint thread, more of an observation.

Now I dont claim to be the worlds greatest player on FM ( I think that honour lies with dafuge from what I see on his old challenge threads ) but I do normally manage to win the league in what ever country I manage in with what ever team I play, except of course for England.

Now I normally like to manage a middle of the road team not great players or expectations, and like to build a 'dynasty' now I have won the top divisions in:

Spain - with Getafe, Atletico Madrid, Deportivo

Germany - with Wolfsberg, Bochum and Freiburg

France - with Lens, Rennes and Le Harve

to name but a few (and also managed to great succes with the big clubs in each of the leagues) but the only 'non big' club I have ever won the EPL with is Blackburn despite countless attempts with all sorts of sides. Villa, Sunderland, West Ham, Tottenham all sring to mind and all have prooved to be impossible tasks for me within my usual three years time scale. ( I did evetually win the league with Spurs but after 8 years )

Now on previous versions of the game I have always prided myself on being able to at some stage dominate the english league with ANY team ( including the mighty Doncaster ) but this time nadda, sure I have walked to success with Liverpool Man Utd and one infuriating season with Chelsea but the smaller clubs are impossible!

I just think that of course this is all to do with different football cultures and my tactics not adapting properly, I no longer use a 4 4 2 and play a more 'continental' 4 3 3. Does anyone else notice that it seems to be the english league that takes more adapting than any other league? I use the same set tactics for all my teams with very minor alterations to passing style etc. for each league.

Is it just me or does anyone else have the same problems transfering their success to the EPL.

Ive guided Newcastle United and Manchester City to the premierhsip title and come mightyu close with an edited game, brining the mighty Matlock Town to within a gnats **** of winning it

I always make sure i beat the teams lower than myself and dont worry too much if the top four supposedly beat me

I find Spain easy, Germany not too bad, France completely down to chance, England to be actually OK, and Italy a complete pain in the arse.

But, as you suggested, it's down to where suits your tactics best. In spain, I tear teams apart almost at will, in Italy I struggle to break down defences at all.

I won the EPL in me first season with portsmouth played a

S S

AML AMC AMR

DM DM

DL--------> DC <--------DR

GK

played a quick tempo n short passing game n made a few signings like Kewell(loan) Samba(2.3mil) Ryan Taylor(5.5mil) then got a finacial boost n janurey n signed Owen(13mil)n Fabian Ernst(7.5mil) hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

I think I need a specific 'not great team but not crap team in the english premier leauge' tactic!

Oh I do love a challenge.

But I think it speaks volumes about the accuracy of the game, its no longer a case of one tactic fits all!

Man I love this game icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Cometdude:

I think I need a specific 'not great team but not crap team in the english premier leauge' tactic!

Oh I do love a challenge.

But I think it speaks volumes about the accuracy of the game, its no longer a case of one tactic fits all!

Man I love this game icon_smile.gif

Hmm, I haven't played much with middling teams in the EPL, took Portsmouth to europe a couple of times, but I like trying to establish relegation battlers in the division more.

My best finish in the EPL in terms of how happy I was: Reading in 3rd place, first season of FM2007.

I find if i play with one of the big four, I tend to dominate, so I imagine my tactical philosophy is suited to the english game. It is quite Man Utd in style, much as I don't really enjoy their play IRL.

i feel EPL is very easy, ive won it with Portsmouth, Man City, Newcastle, Spurs, Chelsea, Man u, Arsenal, Liverpool, Derby, Watford, West Brom, Leeds and Villa. the only one i cant seem to do great in is the Italian league.

never tried German but France i find it okay with middle teams and Spain is same as england once you have a great team barca and real slip up when needed and you win it.

i think england is the easiest league to get a small club too the top personally.

I won the Premier League in 4 seasons with the Rams... It really is that hard, then again I gambled the clubs future year after year (and was 2 points away from death [relegation] in my first season). First season 17th, second 7th, third 4th and then I won the title (stolen from Man U in the last 6 matches). I guess making it to the FA cup final and qualifing for the UEFA cup in my first season helped a bit...

Originally posted by pelicanstuff:

Am I the only one who has real trouble with Serie A? icon_confused.gif

I haven't had any trouble with serie A at all won back to back titles with Lazio then returned about five years later to guide Catania to three titles.

Guess my style just suits mainland Europe.

Originally posted by dexta200:

i feel EPL is very easy, ive won it with Portsmouth, Man City, Newcastle, Spurs, Chelsea, Man u, Arsenal, Liverpool, Derby, Watford, West Brom, Leeds and Villa. the only one i cant seem to do great in is the Italian league.

never tried German but France i find it okay with middle teams and Spain is same as england once you have a great team barca and real slip up when needed and you win it.

i think england is the easiest league to get a small club too the top personally.

I find it so facsinating that we can have so many styles of management and various success. I do think that if you control one of the big four in the first couple of seasons in EPL you just walk to the title. I wonder if my football style is just too complex for some of the English sides.

I find Serie A harder. I started a game with Juventus and struggled on the old patch (got sacked, started again with an English club).

Anyway, my current save had stretched to 2016 and I wanted a change. I just joined Inter from Chelksi after 6 league wins in 8 years and 4 Champions League titles, plus numerous domestic cups (as you'd expect). Inter have naff all money in my game - well, £17.5million is naff all when I just came from a club with £120million transfer kitty - and were lower half in the table.

I kept drawing - partly 0-0s and comebacks, but mainly because my default 4-2-4-counter tactic didn't seem to work too well. I thought Serie A was a tough league, as the teams just seem so resiliant and hard to break down.

After 6 draws/losses, I tweaked training, replaced a lot of staff, and played a more direct tactic. Stuck with my old 4-2-4 counter, tho. I'm now about 15 games in and have put my first decent winning run together (5 in a row), and am pushing for a Euro place. Even stopped conceding in the last ten minutes.

Like all teams, I guess it's down to the players gelling and getting used to a new manager - possibly even my language issues. Which I think is a great piece of programming.

Am sure it's the same with the EPL. When I was at Chelski I got given a pot of gold to play with every year, but rarely spent any past 2012 - only to replace wantaway jaded players - so I had a team "willing to die for one another".

I have found both Serie A and EPL disappointingly easy.

By 2010 with Man City we had won back to back titles with only Arsenal really challenging me.

Then jumped ship to Real Madrid and it all got a bit too easy!!! Walked La Liga

Now,started with Fiorentina. Three seasons in I have won 3 league titles and the Champions League. Inter have pushed me all the way every year. Roma are decent but Juve and Milan seem to be disappointing every season (dont qualify for Champions League) - Udinese are teh suprise team qualifying for CL!!!

Originally posted by sherwinjarv:

I have found both Serie A and EPL disappointingly easy.

By 2010 with Man City we had won back to back titles with only Arsenal really challenging me.

Then jumped ship to Real Madrid and it all got a bit too easy!!! Walked La Liga

Now,started with Fiorentina. Three seasons in I have won 3 league titles and the Champions League. Inter have pushed me all the way every year. Roma are decent but Juve and Milan seem to be disappointing every season (dont qualify for Champions League) - Udinese are teh suprise team qualifying for CL!!!

Oooooh, look at me! Iv won the leagues in all the different countries. I didnt even have to try. Ooooh im so good!!!

icon_wink.gif

being absolutely honest, the EPL was very hard to win for me, in comparason to other leagues, until fm08. i won one title in 6 seasons with arsenal on fm07, yet i've won 4 out of 5 with arsenal in fm08. the difference in how easy it is to build up a team in fm08 compared to fm07 is crazy.

on fm07 i also went 5 years without a trophy at all with real madrid, but then i won the CL and back to back titles by 25 points, and 2 spanish cups. yet i'm probably going to win the league with sevilla in season 2 on fm08.

come to think of it, i never win a trophy first season, but its all plain sailing after that. i tried rekindling my interest in fm07 recently, but i seriously can't pull my old teams out of the gutter on a permanent basis. i can safely say that i will continue fm08 when fm09 comes out, regardless of how much better it is. unless its that much better.

Originally posted by OrientMartin:
Originally posted by Klimowicz:

on fm07 i also went 5 years without a trophy at all with real madrid,

5 Years without a trophy at Real and you kept your job?!

i don't know how, but yeah. i haven't been sacked since fm06.

i did however throw a strop and quit real madrid after they wouldn't give me an extra £2M to buy transfer listed lionel messi £29M, only £27M in the kitty). roma got him 1 month later for £39M.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrientMartin:

on fm07 i also went 5 years without a trophy at all with real madrid,

5 Years without a trophy at Real and you kept your job?!

i don't know how, but yeah. i haven't been sacked since fm06.

i did however throw a strop and quit real madrid after they wouldn't give me an extra £2M to buy transfer listed lionel messi £29M, only £27M in the kitty). roma got him 1 month later for £39M. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You lucky so and so!

I remember getting sacked by Real for only winning the champions league! finished third in la liga but got beat by Barca twice.

The hardest league that I have played is the scottish league, I got East Sterling to the SPL in 3 seasons and moved to St Johstone where I won the SPL in 2 seasons.

As for the English League I think that is averagely difficult, having won the premier league with Vauxhall Motors and being on the verge of a second title in my 9th Season there.

im not sure what these people do who win things easily and rise quickly(thats possible for me in the lower leagues) i cant help thinking they spend way too long on the game and have mastered it or are using cheats/ exploits(or your own tactical genius if you like icon_wink.gif) im not saying it aint possible, but like someone said pompey in the first season, its just very unlikely, there should be a big gap in quality between the top teams.

This wouldnt help the casual gamer much, they would only complain it is too hard, but you know

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

im not sure what these people do who win things easily and rise quickly(thats possible for me in the lower leagues) i cant help thinking they spend way too long on the game and have mastered it or are using cheats/ exploits(or your own tactical genius if you like icon_wink.gif) im not saying it aint possible, but like someone said pompey in the first season, its just very unlikely, there should be a big gap in quality between the top teams.

This wouldnt help the casual gamer much, they would only complain it is too hard, but you know

Maybe it's new manager syndrome, i've had a couple of saves where i've taken over a club and done surprisingly well e.g. Wigan to 5th, but the following season i'm all over the place and can't buy a win (I did an Ipswich and got relegated).

Archived