Long shots / wondergoals

Paul C posted this in the FML forums, I've extracted just a few, perhaps he'd post the whole list here.

Some stats, from our FM tests using the same ME in a season of La Liga:

Long range shots 43%

Long range goals 20%

Close range shots 8%

Close range goals 17%

yes i find this too aswell as the post and bar being hit too often. It was the same last year before 9.3 aswell, shame really as these are the only two things that let the ME down.

Hit woodwork per match 0.78

Paul C posted this in the FML forums, I've extracted just a few, perhaps he'd post the whole list here.

Some stats, from our FM tests using the same ME in a season of La Liga:

Long range shots 43%

Long range goals 20%

Close range shots 8%

Close range goals 17%

and this proves what exactly?

Indeed, what are the real life comparators?

I think rl comparators are available independant of FM/SI, probably you should prevail upon Paul C to post a bit more information.

I posted those figures out of interest, nothing more.

I've also found this.

It's not just the number of shots going in, it's also the number taken (usually 50%+) and, perhaps more importantly, the number going in from 30+ yards. If a midfielder in a top league curls/drills one in from the edge of the D that counts as a long shot, but isn't terribly surprising. When they score a hat-trick all from 25-35 yards then it's troubling. At this rate the easiest way to win a title will be to sign midfielders and strikers exclusively with long shots of 18 or more.

would like to see statistics about shots per position ;)

Those stats aren't included, here's the link to the thread but I suspect many of you won't have access to it.

You really should ask Paul C to expand if he's willing, I'd feel a bit presumptious in posting the whole list.

• SI Staff

Thanks Kriss. Those stats are actually for La Liga using 10.1 code.

Our benchmark for long shots is around 45% of shots, and for woodwork around 0.6 per game. So if you are seeing 0.7 per game that means you are having 1 extra every 10 games, which is nominal.

That said, if anyone wants to send me a pkm of eg where their DM scored a hat trick from 25 yards or beyond I'll happily look at it.

:)

• SI Staff

Long range shots 43% - which from 23.66 = 10.17

Long range goals 20% - which from 2.86 goals = 0.572 - just over 1 every 2 games.

So roughly 1 in 20 end in a goal. Benchmark? I dont have one if I am honest, but it doesnt sound wrong at first glance.

By the way our definition of long range is 22 yards ( 20m ) and short range 12 yards ( 11m ). This means some long range goals can be from inside the area, if the player is wide of the centre.

Long range shots 43% - which from 23.66 = 10.17

Long range goals 20% - which from 2.86 goals = 0.572 - just over 1 every 2 games.

So roughly 1 in 20 end in a goal. Benchmark? I dont have one if I am honest, but it doesnt sound wrong at first glance.

By the way our definition of long range is 22 yards ( 20m ) and short range 12 yards ( 11m ). This means some long range goals can be from inside the area, if the player is wide of the centre.

Absolutely fascinating, thank you. I agree that your results don't sound wrong. In my French Ligue Une game, I am averaging over 1 goal a game in long shots though. As I wrote in the OP, this is influenced by my personnel and tactics, but it still seems unrealistic. It isn't a massive problem I guess but so far I feel it needs a little tweak.

That said, if anyone wants to send me a pkm of eg where their DM scored a hat trick from 25 yards or beyond I'll happily look at it.:)

oohhhh close, 2 cracking efforts from Scott Parker outside the box and both from corners........dont fix it, the guy is playing a blinder for me.

I think it also might be the way the game portrays the goals through it's highlights. When I am dominating a game and then I see "OOOOOOO what a goal his first of the season from 30 yards out", and it happens what seems like every game it makes me want to put my fist through the screen and turn the game off.

Plus add the fact this happens while world class defenders are swiveling around like lego fixtures wondering where the ball is and my world class keeper can't get to the post on a 30 yarder, over and over and over and over and over, and it makes it all the more frustrating.

Archived