Ingame Son

7 seasons into the game, all at one club, I have a player in my youth team with the same surname as me. I am also listed in his favoured personel. However, he is a different nationality to me and to the club I manage plus his date of birth makes him way too old to be a proper son.

So is he my son. Can I get a paternity check on him? icon_smile.gif

Haha in game paternity check, a new feature for FM09 perhaps icon_biggrin.gif

The game can generate your 'son', but in your case if he is a different nationallity id say it's a coincidence, especially if it's quite a common surname?

Originally posted by Dar2000:

The game can generate your 'son', but in your case if he is a different nationallity id say it's a coincidence, especially if it's quite a common surname?

His surname is Jones icon_wink.gif

The more I read about this 'feature' the less I'm convinced it is actually a feature. Having a son in the game is one of the things I've always wanted to happen to me, ever since I heard about it back in FM07.

Trouble is that I don't think anyone in the database has my surname, therefore no regens so far have been generated with my surname, let alone one in my youth team who has the same surname as me.

Also I've seen young regens come through who automatically have me as their favoured personnel, despite them being either a different nationality as me or not having the same name as me. So all in all I think it may just be coincidence. Regens are generated using names already in the database as far as I know, so I think when a regen is created in your youth team who has the same surname as you it's because someone already existed in the database with the same surname as you. If they have both the same surname as you and have you as their favourite personnel then it makes it much more of an unlikely coincidence, but still plausable. And with enough people playing the game this coincidence is bound to happen to someone.

I hope I'm wrong and just bitter because, despite playing many seasons, it's never happened to me. But I don't think I am, I think it's all just co-incidence rather than a cool feature actually coded into the game icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by chopper99:

The more I read about this 'feature' the less I'm convinced it is actually a feature. Having a son in the game is one of the things I've always wanted to happen to me, ever since I heard about it back in FM07.

Trouble is that I don't think anyone in the database has my surname, therefore no regens so far have been generated with my surname, let alone one in my youth team who has the same surname as me.

Also I've seen young regens come through who automatically have me as their favoured personnel, despite them being either a different nationality as me or not having the same name as me. So all in all I think it may just be coincidence. Regens are generated using names already in the database as far as I know, so I think when a regen is created in your youth team who has the same surname as you it's because someone already existed in the database with the same surname as you. If they have both the same surname as you and have you as their favourite personnel then it makes it much more of an unlikely coincidence, but still plausable. And with enough people playing the game this coincidence is bound to happen to someone.

I hope I'm wrong and just bitter because, despite playing many seasons, it's never happened to me. But I don't think I am, I think it's all just co-incidence rather than a cool feature actually coded into the game icon_frown.gif

Interesting, I thought it was a confirmed feature. It's never happened to me either as it happens. Im pretty sure I have seen someone from SI comment on it before.

All regens that come through your acadamey will have either you or your coach/coaches in their favoured personell

My surname is already in the database so probably a coincidence as he is a different nationality. Is there any way to change your name during a game. Next time I start a new game i'm going to an asterix * or something at the end of the surmname that way any guy who turns up with the * will be my son.

just start a game and holiday for around ten seasons, call your self billy bellringer or something. then go into the game after 10 seasons and check the DB for someone wit your name, if he isnt there then go on holiday until the regen arrival date then save then keep reloading until he turns up. then you will have you son little baby bllringer.

if you can be bothered that is.

I got a regen once with the same nationality as me and the same surname (a Bosnian name in the Danish league) and I was his favoured person...

But seeing as I was 30 and he was 16, I assume that he's my nephew icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by bridport_james:

How, may I ask, would you go about being sure that your surname is in the database? It is probably some really simple answer but hey...

You can load the database with the Data Editor and search for people with that surname. If it doesn't produce any results, you can create someone (player, coach, scout, whatever) with that surname.

I thought it had happened to me in my Arsenal game. Young lad in the reserves appeared with my surname as me, listed under his favoured personnel is me.... The problem was he was a different race to me AND my wife. I can see the tabloid headlines now. I feel for Paul Jewell. icon_wink.gif

Guest roberto922
Originally posted by santy001:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dar2000:

His surname is Jones icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah finally the return of my long lost son icon_wink.gif I'm buggered for my son then lol, I'll never figure out which one it is.

SI have confirmed the feature.

I'm managing Spurs but I put my nationality down as 'Cambodian'. A few years in I checked the player search and found a young Cambodian with my name - My son! My son! Suitably, he was utter rubbish and when I tried to sign him it turned out he'd already decided to retire - at 16!

Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

SI have confirmed the feature.

I'm managing Spurs but I put my nationality down as 'Cambodian'. A few years in I checked the player search and found a young Cambodian with my name - My son! My son! Suitably, he was utter rubbish and when I tried to sign him it turned out he'd already decided to retire - at 16!

I'm assuming his mother wanted him to continue with his studies... 16 is a tough age you know. LOL...

Education in Cambodia sucks - trust me, I'm a university teacher! Footballing facilities suck even bigger and you'd earn more cleaning toilets.

I went through the whole batch of Cambodian regens (I've ticked load all players) and every one announced they are retiring the very moment they are generated!

Originally posted by beattie:

probs just a coinicedence , alot of youth players have their clubs manager in favoured personel but if this "son" thing is true then ya neva know

Definitely not. I have a surname that is otherwise non-existent in Cambodia. I also used the editor to make my wife chairperson of my club and her name is regenerated (not as a son/daughter tho'!)

Originally posted by chopper99:

There is an answer - i've posted it elsewhere so i will just quote it here:

Originally posted by Ched:

We have answers! Just had a "son" and due to the fact my surname doesn't exist in the database it's a certainty that he is my "son".

Anyway, in response to the above questions;

1/ There's no special message, he just comes through as a new youth product.

2/ He does not inherit second nationalities.

3/ He does have me as the top of his favoured personnel.

4/ It MAY require a manager age above 50, and even then it doesn't happen often - i re-loaded the june 18th/19th over 60 times before one appeared - i was investigating feeder club termination.

Now i can't say these things ALWAYS happen, it may be that not all sons have you listed in the fav personnel, but all i can go on is what i've seen.

The kiddo

Although there are one or two problems;

1/ i'd never plague a child of mine with the name "robbie".

2/ he looks like a bit of a ******.

lol - now to force him into the chelsea first team on his 16th birthday icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

Education in Cambodia sucks - trust me, I'm a university teacher! Footballing facilities suck even bigger and you'd earn more cleaning toilets.

I went through the whole batch of Cambodian regens (I've ticked load all players) and every one announced they are retiring the very moment they are generated!

I've been to Cambodia lots of times, and I slightly agree. I do see potential though. But football is not one of them. hehehe.

Weird how players are generated and then retire right away though. SI should look in to it

Archived