Will Extra Ram make a difference to Fm 10 Game Speed?

obviously it is wise(ish) to upgrade but to 4GB may be a little extreme if you only have 786MB now. Have u checked your computer is compatible with so much, because often they are not

Leagues wise depends on more than just your ram, and tbh it depends more on your processer than anything else

It depends on the rest of your system as well, but it will certainly help. Upgrading is the cheaper option but there are alos some good deals on cheap pc's so if your system is really old then it may be better to look at the overall package.

I have no idea how many leagues you could run as I do not have your full system specs, but as an example my PC is a Quad Core Processor, 4gb RAM, NVidea 9000 series Graphics Card - Windows 7 and it runs the following countries with a large database

English - All + Regional Prem Divisions

Scottish - All

Wales - All

Spain - All

Germany - All

Italy - All

Portugal - All

Austrailia - All

France - All

N.Ireland - All

Hungray - All

Austria - All

My game processes the fixtures results very quickly with very little time to stop and think.

I have 786 mb ram and what to go to 4gb of ram

How many Leagues could i run and is it wise to upgrade?

Processor Upgrade would be best option at least a Dual Core or Quad Core if you want to run lots of leagues

yea you would notice a difference with 4GB (technically 3GB in 32bit) but also processor is very important.

I have a Phenom Quad and the 4 CPUs really helps the game speed and the amount of leagues i can run.

I take it it's a pointless question, but you aren't using Windows XP are you? Win XP doesn't know how to use more than 2Gb RAM, which should affect your decision somewhat, but if your PC thinks it can use 4Gb I'm guessing it's Vista.

I added to 4gb to my PC to take it to 8gb.

I ran tests to see how long a holiday game with all nations and league set as playable would take until 1 November.

It was 6mins slower with 8gb than it was with 4gb. I made sure I had nothing else running in the background, and I do have a 64-bit o/s.

In conclusion - anything more than 4gb seems pretty pointless.

I ran tests to see how long a holiday game with all nations and league set as playable would take until 1 November.

It was 6mins slower with 8gb than it was with 4gb. I made sure I had nothing else running in the background, and I do have a 64-bit o/s.

Nonsense. I went from 4 to 8 a while back, is much faster for FM, as it should be. clearly something is amiss in your machine, albeit running an FM holiday is not entirely scientific testing.

You sure you set it back up to proper timings in the BIOS? Is it dual channel configured? Have you allowed the FSB to drop? Are the sticks different speeds or latencies?

Nonsense. I went from 4 to 8 a while back, is much faster for FM, as it should be. clearly something is amiss in your machine, albeit running an FM holiday is not entirely scientific testing.

You sure you set it back up to proper timings in the BIOS? Is it dual channel configured? Have you allowed the FSB to drop? Are the sticks different speeds or latencies?

I agree it's nonesense. However, it did happen. It was quicker with FM09 by about 20mins, but not FM10.

It's also a brand new system. I have not changed anything with the bios. It is dual channel configured. The sticks are identical, and the only games loaded are FM09 and FM10.

I've got Windows 7 ordered so I'm hoping that will make a positive difference.

obviously it is wise(ish) to upgrade but to 4GB may be a little extreme if you only have 786MB now. Have u checked your computer is compatible with so much, because often they are not

rubbish. it would need to be very very very old for it not to support 4GB.

aklso i need to point out that it is not RAM that is restricted to 4GB by 32 bit versions of windows. its not the ram thats limited, its the memory addresses. which include things other than ram, hence why systems show 3.5 or 3.25 of RAM, cause other things need some addresses too.

and its easily bypassed by using PAE (physical address extension) which raises the limit to 64GB. though only 4GB per application.

SI has stated that anything more than 4GB of RAM is useless because FM is still a 32-bit application. If FM changes to a 64-bit application in the future, 8GB of RAM would be useful! Maybe more!

WoW, 768mb today. It's like half way through booting Windows your computer goes: " Wait, what was I supposed to do again", just like when people come into a room and can't remember why they went in there.

Ram,cpu,hdd are the most important things for FM, unless you have a really ****** gfx card. And remember it's not just the size of the RAM that matters, but also the speed.

2GB of 1600Mhz ram is faster better than 3GB of 800mhz ram. But your motherboard have to support it.

Also for harddisks that in single setups are the real hickup in todays computers. But having 2 (raid 0) or 4 (raid 5) disks in raid setup speeds up delivery of data to memory alot faster.

Coz then it reads and writes from all disks at the same time.

Raid 0 (2 disks) gives you 100% of the diskspace but no fault tollerance

Raid 5 (4 disks) gives you 75% of the diskspace and has fault tollerance.

It depends on the rest of your system as well, but it will certainly help. Upgrading is the cheaper option but there are alos some good deals on cheap pc's so if your system is really old then it may be better to look at the overall package.

I have no idea how many leagues you could run as I do not have your full system specs, but as an example my PC is a Quad Core Processor, 4gb RAM, NVidea 9000 series Graphics Card - Windows 7 and it runs the following countries with a large database

English - All + Regional Prem Divisions

Scottish - All

Wales - All

Spain - All

Germany - All

Italy - All

Portugal - All

Austrailia - All

France - All

N.Ireland - All

Hungray - All

Austria - All

My game processes the fixtures results very quickly with very little time to stop and think.

I didnt know that you can run so many leagues on a PC!!I have a laptop with 2 GB ram and dual core 1.6 Ghz and i run 4 leagues max.

Press start, click run and type dxdiag in the box that appears. Once this loads press save all information and then post the details of this file. That way you'll get much better help I think.

It made a huge difference when I went from 1 Gb to 2 Gb.

The thing is, the way a PC works is, if it has enough RAM to do what you want it to do, it uses RAM.

If it doesn't, it decides to use some of your hard drive as "virtual memory" - now, instead of writing chunks of data to RAM, its writing chunks of data to the hard drive.

RAM can be up to a 100 times faster than hard drive, depending on the RAM speed and hard drive speed.

So, lets say your save-game needs 500 megs of RAM and your operating system needs 250 ... no problem, 750 < 768, so your game should be fast: your processor is the limiting factor.

Now, if the save game grew just a bit, and needed 525 megs of RAM ... now you have a problem: 775 > 768, so you're now using "virtual memory": basically, every time you hit Continue, you'll hear your hard drive churning away as the game "swaps" data between the physical RAM and the hard drive. Your game will feel galacially slower than it did an hour earlier when it "fit" in your physical RAM.

The further you go past that tipping point, the slower the game gets.

So, yes, upgrading from 768 should make a huge difference ... what you upgrade TO is going to affect how many leagues you can run without reaching Virtual Memory. .. And if you have enough that you're not swapping, then adding more RAM will not make FM faster AT ALL; at that point, you need to upgrade the processor to see any improvement.

Archived