Apparently I speak Spanish?

The majority of them are of Latino (mostly Mexican) decent...which I am not.

But basically you're saying that since nearly 15% of the population speaks Spanish, any American in the game will be credited with this as well? I bet over 50% of the nations in the world have at least 15% of the population speaking English, does this mean they will be credited with being able to speak it?

But basically you're saying that since nearly 15% of the population speaks Spanish, any American in the game will be credited with this as well? I bet over 50% of the nations in the world have at least 15% of the population speaking English, does this mean they will be credited with being able to speak it?

No they won't. I started a game where I choose to be Swiss and I only knew German, French and Italian and not English which I assume most Swiss people understand.

I just created three American managers as a test, and they all speak Spanish. No secondary nationality selected. It must be to do with demographics.

In fairness, the same thing happens with places like Switzerland. If you make yourself Swiss you speak French and German, despite the country very definitely having a French-speaking half and German-speaking half.

I respect why it happens that way. I live in Colorado and we have probably 30 - 40% of our population coming from Hispanic origin, primarily Mexican. I am slowly, slowly learning it because I hear it every day. To say that I know it by virtue of being around is spurrious at best.

I respect why it happens that way. I live in Colorado and we have probably 30 - 40% of our population coming from Hispanic origin, primarily Mexican. I am slowly, slowly learning it because I hear it every day. To say that I know it by virtue of being around is spurrious at best.

Exactly. I live in Baltimore, Maryland and come across Spanish speaking people in daily life. It's a VERY common language out here.

As has been surmised, "Spanish" comes with "American" nationality by default.

I'd prefer that it didn't, also; if an American manager wants to speak Spanish, he should have a Latin America nation set as a second nationality. But, this is how its been for many versions, and don't let it distract you.

I'd prefer that it didn't, also; if an American manager wants to speak Spanish, he should have a Latin America nation set as a second nationality. But, this is how its been for many versions, and don't let it distract you.

Well, it's all about immersion. Not that a foreign language actually did anything in game....would love to see those having a bigger influence in the future (and the ability to customize your profile, apparently).

A similar rule applies if you choose your primary nationality as 'Polish'. You end up being able to speak Polish and....German (?). If the second language really must be there, then 'English' would make much more sense.

Ridiculous! I live in Little Rock, but I don't speak Spanish. Yet, my manager persona does just because he's American? Kinda silly if you ask me.

One of the things I would love to see expanded on in FM, is the cultural aspects of the game. Common language (or lack thereof) can have a huge benefit within a team. Don't believe it? Just ask Yuri Zhirkov, Shinseke Nakamura, and Jozy Altidore.

Does open the door perhaps to setting Place of Birth when you select nationality? For example someone in the South West of the USA would be more likely to speak Spanish than someone in the North West?

Could also help with knowledge of players if playing lower league as someone from say Leeds would have a better knowledge players from Yorkshire (Harrogate, Farsley, York City etc) but may see less players if managing down south in say, Sussex and perhaps might need to build a relationship with other managers in the area?

A similar rule applies if you choose your primary nationality as 'Polish'. You end up being able to speak Polish and....German (?). If the second language really must be there, then 'English' would make much more sense.

Why? I go to Poland on business a lot and, believe me, my pigeon German is much more use to me than English with most people over 25. They do share a pretty large and (fairly mobile at various points in not so distant past) land border!

I do believe that each country has a percentage number attached to languages that makes up for the possibilities of a regen there speaking each of these languages. However manager are set to speak all of the major ones from the country they are from.

I'm icelandic and my managers are always set to speak Icelandic, Dansih and English. However my danish sucks and today it is most common for younger icelanders to speak english while the older ones speak danish as a second language.

But let's say someone of latin descent in america makes a manager and that manager doesn't speak spanish he would be more upset then the game assuming you do. Only way to circumvent this issue is let the plaer choose.

I'm a big fan of being able to customise your profile a lot more. I'm English but would like to speak Franch and Spanish in the game as I used to be able to IRL before I forgot most of what I learnt (I have AS Levels in French and Spanish but can't remember squat after about the Year 7 & 8's worth of it :p) and I also like the idea of being able to select a place of birth.

I don't get it why it won't let you choose the languages you speak for yourself. I'm Estonian, so it automatically assumes I must speak Russian. It doesn't add English though so to add it I have to select English as a second nationality. So as a result my manager persona speaks a language I don't and is a citizen of a country I've never been to. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I did a test with the Welsh language. As it isn't in the game I used the editor to create it and made 40% of the players fluent in Welsh. Not everyone could speak it but some could.

Maybe the Spanish in the American setting needs to be changed so less people speak it - it seems that 15% would seem like a reasonable number, not sure if it is possible to make this number higher in different areas (to say 40% in Colorado.)

I don't get it why it won't let you choose the languages you speak for yourself. I'm Estonian, so it automatically assumes I must speak Russian. It doesn't add English though so to add it I have to select English as a second nationality. So as a result my manager persona speaks a language I don't and is a citizen of a country I've never been to. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Seems by far the easiest and most user-friendly way of solving the issue imo.

As Canadian with Hong Kong second nationality, the game always sets my languages to English, French, Cantonese, and Chinese (Mandarin basically...).

Technically it should be English, Cantonese, Chinese (Basic), French (Basic). :D

I wasn't born in Quebec, so it's not necessary that I should be fluent in French. And not all people in Hong Kong speak Mandarin, although most people can understand it (I can understand it) and probably speak a little bit since it's so similar to Cantonese...Mandarin is easier than Cantonese after all...

Maybe a suggestion would be to have a 'cultural diversity' (or something like that) settings for the cities in the editor, and you have the option of selecting the 'City of Birth' which can then determine which languages you can speak.

Then maybe it'd be an idea to introduce that one would be able to selected City of Birth from a list of the country's major cities and by that, as to geographic regions, would speak different languages?

Like if taking USA as nationality, then City of Birth as Boston would most certainly only give English, while City of Birth as Houston would give Spanish too. Or taking Switzerland, then Bern would give French and St.Gallen would give German?

Would probably require some more involvement from researchers and it could be troublesome for big countries, but it'd indeed be interesting if it could be made to work.

As Canadian with Hong Kong second nationality, the game always sets my languages to English, French, Cantonese, and Chinese (Mandarin basically...).

Technically it should be English, Cantonese, Chinese (Basic), French (Basic). :D

I wasn't born in Quebec, so it's not necessary that I should be fluent in French. And not all people in Hong Kong speak Mandarin, although most people can understand it (I can understand it) and probably speak a little bit since it's so similar to Cantonese...Mandarin is easier than Cantonese after all...

Maybe a suggestion would be to have a 'cultural diversity' (or something like that) settings for the cities in the editor, and you have the option of selecting the 'City of Birth' which can then determine which languages you can speak.

Exactly what I said earlier.:thup:

For example London would have English (fluent), Barcelona would have Spanish & Catalan as fluent languages whereas somewhere like Los Angeles might have English (Fluent) & Spanish (basic). Or perhaps in the case of Canada, Vancouver would have English (Fluent) only but Montreal would have French (Fluent/Basic) too?

Or on top of that just a drop down asking, "Other Languages" where you can select your languages and fluency?

Then maybe it'd be an idea to introduce that one would be able to selected City of Birth from a list of the country's major cities and by that, as to geographic regions, would speak different languages?

Like if taking USA as nationality, then City of Birth as Boston would most certainly only give English, while City of Birth as Houston would give Spanish too. Or taking Switzerland, then Bern would give French and St.Gallen would give German?

Would probably require some more involvement from researchers and it could be troublesome for big countries, but it'd indeed be interesting if it could be made to work.

I don't think that would work at all. I know plenty of people born and raised in San Antonio, San Diego or Tuscon who don't speak spanish at all. And plenty of people born in the northern part of the US that do speak spanish. There should be, at time of manager creation, where you get to select the language you speak. The US is kinda unique in that there are people here who are American, yet speak German, French, Tagalog, Thai, Chinese, Spanish, pretty much every language. BUT, they're American. It's essentially a small thing in the game, I realise, but still, it's the little things that make this game so much fun.

I find it simplier to having you (I take rancer890 as example):

Nationality selected: Canadian.

Language selectable/suggested: English, Cantonese, Chinese (Basic), French (Basic).

I can be Canadian and be able too speech Russian or Zulu right?

I think it would be easier if you could just choose what languages you can speak at the start of the game (and degree of fluency)

Especially as I speak more than one semitic language as well as Italian, a little German and have been studying Mandarin.

I like the City of Birth idea as I've said a few times in here already.

I think it would also work well if a club is from said city and you could be linked to it if a vacancy became available?

For example:

"Tranmere Rovers manager Joshua Milton is rumoured to be considering a homecoming and take over the reigns his home town club of Ashford Town (Kent) following the sacking of 'A Manager'.

Comment:

I am interested

I am interested, but I'm happy at Tranmere Rovers.

No Comment.

I'm not interested.

I'd never manage Ashford Town."

That way should you select a London and get linked to another job in the capital that you do not support you could catergorically deny taking over. Or whether you do support them and one day fancy the challenge but don't want to put yourself under extra pressure you could play down the rumours but the club will be more likely to consider you in the future, assuming your reputation matches.

Sorry, gone off on a bit of a tangent there!

Exactly what I said earlier.:thup:

For example London would have English (fluent), Barcelona would have Spanish & Catalan as fluent languages whereas somewhere like Los Angeles might have English (Fluent) & Spanish (basic). Or perhaps in the case of Canada, Vancouver would have English (Fluent) only but Montreal would have French (Fluent/Basic) too?

Or on top of that just a drop down asking, "Other Languages" where you can select your languages and fluency?

Most Canadians (well people born in Canada) do have some background of the French language since we're forced to learn it in elementary and high school (to grade 9). Even if you absolutely hate French (like me :D), you probably know the basic words and sentences.

Although I think most Quebecers would be fluent in both French and English. If you have information on Yellowknife, Whitehorse, and Iqaluit, they also have the ability to speak Inuit. :D

And also different provinces in China have different languages (Cantonese, Mandarin, Hakka, Wu, and a lot of other ones...). Mandarin is the main language throughout China, and people in Guangdong province can speak Cantonese, the province north of it can speak Hakka, and the province north of that can speak Wu iirc.

And my main concern with being allowed to select languages is that some may select a lot of languages, and in reality, most people would know around 2-5 languages.

I like the City of Birth idea as I've said a few times in here already.

Right, and this will lead to having also the opportunity to have two preferred teams, the one of your city (or some kilometers far) and your fan preferred team. It's not an idea to trash.

Ridiculous! I live in Little Rock, but I don't speak Spanish. Yet, my manager persona does just because he's American? Kinda silly if you ask me.

One of the things I would love to see expanded on in FM, is the cultural aspects of the game. Common language (or lack thereof) can have a huge benefit within a team. Don't believe it? Just ask Yuri Zhirkov, Shinseke Nakamura, and Jozy Altidore.

Come out to the local Hispanic league (MexArk) and you will learn enough Spanish to start a bar fight.

Most Canadians (well people born in Canada) do have some background of the French language since we're forced to learn it in elementary and high school (to grade 9). Even if you absolutely hate French (like me :D), you probably know the basic words and sentences.

Although I think most Quebecers would be fluent in both French and English. If you have information on Yellowknife, Whitehorse, and Iqaluit, they also have the ability to speak Inuit. :D

And also different provinces in China have different languages (Cantonese, Mandarin, Hakka, Wu, and a lot of other ones...). Mandarin is the main language throughout China, and people in Guangdong province can speak Cantonese, the province north of it can speak Hakka, and the province north of that can speak Wu iirc.

And my main concern with being allowed to select languages is that some may select a lot of languages, and in reality, most people would know around 2-5 languages.

Fair enough, I can't say my knowledge of foreign languages is any good!

In reality I depends on how the player wants to go about it. Even in the current system someone can say they are American & Swiss and they will have 5 languages. I'd be stuck with just English still but that's what I can speak in real life.

Right, and this will lead to having also the opportunity to have two preferred teams, the one of your city (or some kilometers far) and your fan preferred team. It's not an idea to trash.

I'm going to get it in FM11 even if it kills me!:D

The idea of having it decided on place of birth seems a bit too complicated though, and just as unrealistic. For example, my brother was born in Berlin and lived in Germany for all of 3 weeks and has never been back there. Yet this idea would have him being fluent in both English and German.

I, on the other hand, was born in Nottingham and have lived here all my life, yet due to studying, I speak fluent English and basic French, German and Japanese. Simply having the option to choose which languages you speak and how fluently you speak them is, imo, the simplest and most realistic solution. Profiles should not be entirely dependant on your nationality and/or where you were born.

Good points, Kain, I was born in Japan on an American naval base, so I ought to have "Japanese" as a second nationality, but I don't know more than a few words of Japanese.

Instead, I pick "American" alone and get English/Spanish, but what I really speak IRL is English/Italian(Basic).

I'd absolutely love for "Nationality" to be separated from "Languages", and have us select the Languages at manager-creation.

Seems a lot more important than picking our favorite club!

Archived