philosophic question regarding tactics

At the start of the game I will set my team up and build my tactics around them, after that though I buy players who will then fit into my tactics, or the way I want my tactics to be.

Same as this ^^^^^^

Generally i have to build around what i have as the teams i manage generally dont have much money. Once ive got them sorted i try to replace the tactic to one i prefer by acquiring the players to play my new system over time. This usually involves me having to get very versatile players that can play in a number of positions to help me through the changeover process.

I am different than most; I have a 'tool box' of tactics that I know intimately from personal experience coaching IRL. As a result, I try to use one of them to build my team around when I take on a new team. Currently, I am using a 3-5-2; with 3 center-backs, 2 defensive-mids, 2 wing-mids, 1 attacking-mid and 2 strikers. This is a formation I use IRL, so I know what I want it to look like in the game and the kind of players I think will fit best into it. I also have an emergency scoring formation (3-4-3) and an end-of-game ultra-defensive formation (4-5-1) that I will switch to. I would be happy to talk about each at length if you would like. Otherwise, I would encourage you to decide if there are any formations you are particularly comfortable with in their theoretical approach to the game and any you have used personally IRL. If so to either of these, I would encourage you to begin your quest there...

The Sean, I would be interested in your tactical theories and what kind of players you are looking for it.

Off Topic: HakanMild, are you Swedish?

On Topic: I always use the same basic system, and tweak the individual instructons to fit individual players.

I am happy to answer your question. Like most people, I look for different qualities in different players. Even though this is what I look for in all players at this position, in this instance, I am referring to how they help me in my current formation of 3-5-2 (3-2-2-1-2), or seen here:

ST ST

AMC

LM RM

DM DM

DC DC DC

GK

Goalkeeper: Agility, Anticipation, Handling, Positioning and Reflexes.

Basically, I want my GK to be able to make a decent first save and get back up to be able to make a good second save. If he lacks in agility, I want him to be able to turn the ball around the post. I believe in tall goalies (at least 6’1”). I am not that concerned about their weight if they have good agility.

Defender: Acceleration, Bravery, Composure, Marking and Positioning.

Basically, I want my CB’s to be able clear the ball from the back, keep their mark from getting good passes and/or time to create something. I don’t expect my CB’s to get into the attack. If I can find them, I want big (6’2” or taller), strong (15 or higher) guys who weigh at least 170 lbs., but preferably 190 lbs.

Defensive Midfielder: Aggression, Decisions, Marking, Positioning and Teamwork.

Basically, I want my DM’s to fulfill two major roles; one, build-up for the attack and two, stand-up the oncoming attackers to slow them down and funnel the attack to one side or the other. These guys need to be fearless but smart (an odd combination, I know). I don’t need them to mark as well as my defenders but still well enough to hold to an attacker. I want this guy to be at least 5’11” and weigh at least 170 lbs.

Wing Midfielder: Acceleration, Crossing, Positioning, Stamina and Teamwork.

Basically, I need my WM’s to be able to run up-and-back, up-and-back. They have the toughest job on the field. They provide support in the attack and in the defense. They provide build-up and crosses for the men in the middle to finish. They can shoot from range. On defense, they do not have to be great markers, if they can get back. I am not that concerned about size for this player, as long as he can do the other things.

Attacking Midfielder: Composure, Creativity, Decisions, First Touch and Teamwork.

Basically, I need my AM to lead the attack. He does not mark back. He will drop back to receive the ball in our own area. He must look for the through ball and build-up. His first thought should be to pass but he needs to be good with a shot too. His first touch is critical as he always plays in traffic. Personally, I like bigger men for this position so they do not get knocked off the ball but that is not a must-have. I won’t take a guy for this spot if he is under 5’10”. He also needs to weigh at least 160 lbs. for the aforementioned reason. I typically am ‘in love’ with my AM as I think it is the most important position on the field.

Striker: Acceleration, Anticipation, Finishing, First Touch and Pace.

Basically, I use my ST different than most people. I play a counter-attack style as my base play, so I don’t need a big, strong striker like Drogba to create chances. I need fast strikers who are willing to take shots. They need to have a great first touch and be a strong finisher. If they can do this, they will be a great break-away scorer. Size in this player is simply not an issue unless you a looking for a big, strong target man or complete forward who needs to create his own chances.

In all, you can see some themes that I look for. Everybody behind my attackers needs to understand positioning EXTREMELY well for us to function as a team and not get caught out-of-position. All of my midfielders need to be excellent team players because the ball spends most of its time in the middle of the pitch and we want our guys to be able to possess it. Another common theme is acceleration. This is because the old axiom in all sports is ‘speed kills.’ Speed stretches the field and gives a chance to recover on defense and break-aways on the attack. Even though I have alternate formations for different scenarios (as I mentioned in a previous post) this is what I am looking for in my players. I will compromise when I find a guy that can do so many other things but that might be missing something here or there. Also, you need a couple of guys from any position who can handle your set pieces. Finding these things is easier, though, since not every guy needs to be a great penalty shooter or free-kick taker. Hope this helps. Let me know what else I can offer.

Archived