Why use Steam?

I installed via steam to start with but dint like having it on my computer. When I buy a game I just want the game on there and not something else!

Anyway I was wondering what are the advantages if any of using steam? I know they will be putting up a tree skin at some point but I'm sure I will be able to get that not long after from a fan site. Is there anything else?

Don’t want to miss out on anything but really don’t like having steam on my pc.

Cheers

People use it all the time to interact with other steam users etc, and it's a nifty way to organize your pc games. Of course Steam also will automatically update your FM game, AND you can get achievements using it, so there are plenty of reasons.

Of course, it's not for everyone...

I use Steam cause I have other games on it aswell:

Counterstrike Source

Football Manager 2009

Day of Defeat: Source

Garry's Mod

Half Life 2

Half Life 2: Deathmatch

Half Life 2: Episode One

Half Life 2: Episode Two

Half Life 2: Lost Coast

Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast

Portal

Team Fortress 2

and Football Manager 2010

I dont ever need to activate these games again, I can download them on whatever computer I'm using.

Thats why.

Admittedly, Steam's main purpose is for those who hav several Steam games, and friends to chat with. If you have that, it's very useful as an organisational tool. The ability to chat with friends while in a full-screen game and with no tabbing out required is unrivalled anywhere except the somewhat now outdated Xfire.

Steam does have other advantages, too. If you buy via Steam then you can keep reinstalling on new computers by re-downloading. Also, you can upload and transfer your savegames to other computers.

As i said, they make u use steam to get this stuff! so yes they do make you use steam and no you dont have a choice

I used steam because it's simple. Can't see why anyone wouldn't want to use steam, not like it's a demanding program on your resources. Maybe people are just 'technologically stubborn'.

I used steam because it's simple. Can't see why anyone wouldn't want to use steam, not like it's a demanding program on your resources. Maybe people are just 'technologically stubborn'.

If anyone experienced steam on release day 09 you why would know they are put off!::thdn:

Automatic updates, achievements, free skin, no need for DVD in drive.

I can understand the benifit of automatic updates especially for new computer users. I think the achievements is just a gimmick and the free skin will be on here probably at about the same time as its available on steam. I actually prefer having the disk in the drive that way it cant be mislaid and the chances are slimmer of it getting damaged I think. Other than the updates I really dont think there is any real benifit of having steam but thats just my opinion.

I can understand the benifit of automatic updates especially for new computer users. I think the achievements is just a gimmick and the free skin will be on here probably at about the same time as its available on steam. I actually prefer having the disk in the drive that way it cant be mislaid and the chances are slimmer of it getting damaged I think. Other than the updates I really dont think there is any real benifit of having steam but thats just my opinion.

if you used steam you would never need your disc again so wouldnt matter if you lost it or it got scratched

Mcchalk - I wouldn't use steam at all unless forced.

Personally I see no reason to use steam, it is just a pointless bug ridden piece of software in my opinion, as proved when MANY people tried to use FM10(just one e.g, there are A LOT more)when it first came out.

Achievements ? Why? I do my achievements in games through silverwear etc, I don't need some other bit of software telling me that when I know it from in game.

Auto Updates - I can do that on my own, I also don't want the game to update while I'm going through an enjoyable save(yes they are usually save game compatible, but it is recommended to start a new game with a new patch). A long with the "dont auto-update" option steam has which DOESN'T work.

New skin - Can easily download that when others produce their skins.

No need for DVD in drive - makes no difference to me.

But that is just my opinion :) A long with Steam just only ever being a bad experience for me.

Mcchalk - I wouldn't use steam at all unless forced.

Personally I see no reason to use steam, it is just a pointless bug ridden piece of software in my opinion, as proved when MANY people tried to use FM10(just one e.g, there are A LOT more)when it first came out.

Far be it from me to say, but Steam is incredibly bug-free. Valve works incredibly hard on making extremely widely distributed software run very well. Bugs are very rare on Valve software, and when spotted they are usually solved very quickly. SI do a fantastic job, but they haven't been working with Steam for long. The bugs are actually coming from SI's attempts to work with Steam - the bugs are Football Manager bugs, not Steam bugs. This is more evident when you see that SI are patching FM to solve these problems, rather than Valve patching Steam. That's not to knock SI's ability - they are fantastic. But it's unfair to blame Steam because you haven't much experience with it and something went wrong.

Really what it boils down to, however, is this: if you only have Football Manager then you will probably not have a reason to use Steam. If you ever choose to use another program which runs with Steam, Steam's usefulness increases hugely. I have well over a hundred games in my Steam folder, and I wouldn't stop using it for all the money in the world.

Most of the problems I read concerning FM2010 and Steam were because people didn't update their DirectX. Which is neither steams nor SI's fault.

Ok, actually you got me there. That was a problem with Steam forgetting to validate the product first. DirectX was incidental, updating it solved very few peoples' problems. But all the stories of the game not launching from Steam at all, and the crashdumps, they are on FM's side of the line. I have no doubt they will be fixed soon - in fact the patch probably fixed a few already. As I say, not trying to point the finger at SI, I love SI :)

will this effect net work game speed?

If the game works in the first place, DirectX won't affect network speed. DirectX is about graphics processing.

Archived