The Most Addicting Team To Manage?

Bradford - had a lot of fun getting them promoted to Prem in FM09. Sigining a player for free in League One / Two and then selling him for 1mil three months later feels great ;)

I usually quickly get bored with teams in Championship & above, because it normally takes only a few seasons to make them into european heavyweights.

Each year I manage QPR for a few seasons initially, just as a warm-up, before the December patch is released.

Other reasonably interesting teams include Notts County (although I hate the idea of having to pay £10.000 a week to my only scout), Norwich (especially now, when they got relegated to L1), Aldershot, Gillingham, Vauxhall Motors (probably about 10 seasons to get them into Championship / Prem).

Bradford - had a lot of fun getting them promoted to Prem in FM09. Sigining a player for free in League One / Two and then selling him for 1mil three months later feels great ;)

I usually quickly get bored with teams in Championship & above, because it normally takes only a few seasons to make them into european heavyweights.

Each year I manage QPR for a few seasons initially, just as a warm-up, before the December patch is released.

Other reasonably interesting teams include Notts County (although I hate the idea of having to pay £10.000 a week to my only scout), Norwich (especially now, when they got relegated to L1), Aldershot, Gillingham, Vauxhall Motors (probably about 10 seasons to get them into Championship / Prem).

I seem to be the complete opposite. I am usually pretty good at getting a team to the Championship (unless, frustratingly for me, they're called Tranmere Rovers) but once I'm there I can never make the final step stick. I got Maidstone United to the Premier League on FM08 but went back down and just could not get them back up losing the Play-Offs.

I can't seem to bring in top quality players to a higher division side, but can attract good players to bad teams in the lower leagues.

In fact I can only remember achieving promotion to the Premier League 5 times. Each time I've been relegated and only once have I bounced straight back and even then I took Brighton straight back down a second time!

Gotta be AFC Wimbledon,nothing like a challenge of creating the next Wigan.

Im 10th in League 2 at the moment with an outside chance of making the playoffs. Ive been caught 3 times this week playing FM in college lectures but it helps that one of my lecturers is also an FM addict :-)

I like to start as unemployed with a lowish reputation (semi-pro eg) and work my way up with the first club that'll have me and if a bigger club comes in then I'll consider the offer depending how attached to my team and players I've become. On 09, I had a game where I was given the Bournemouth job just after January, just about kept them in League 2, before winning 2 consecutive promotions landing them in the Championship.

My first season in the Championship was a disaster, takeover talks over the summer had prevented any signings and my side were crashing. With the new board on my case, I was approached by German Premier league team Hannover who were languishing at the bottom of the league. With a couple of decent signings in January (Mateja Kezman is the one that sticks out) I lead them to a solid 9th. That game finished in my 12th season where I was managing AC Milan and then they released FM10.

Had some great saves with lower league clubs, they tend to last longer for me than managing the club i support (liverpool) as games with them either end up being too easy or too frustrating. Got Solihull Moors up into the premiership on FM08, and Billericay almost as far, again on 08. Also had a great long-term game in Hong Kong, with HKFC til i got sacked after a board takeover....

In my opinion Heerenveen (Netherlands). They have a very particular way of scouting, that is to say, they search their players in Scandinavia, which I find very fun. I always like to have some good Norwegian, Swedish and Danish players (good Finnish are rare).

Shrewsbury Town for me. Had an amazing game with them on FM08 taking them to the very top of club football over the course of 40+ years winning everything possible. Only thing that eluded me was toppling Barcelona as the richest club. Was getting very close towards the latter stages but eventually got bored of the constant success and stopped playing so never had the chance.

Also had a very good game in FM09 with Napoli, started at Wolves, got promoted, moved to Bosnia International job. Then a job at Napoli became available as they were battling against relegation midway through a season. Managed to save them and then turned them round into world beaters over the course of abou 15-20 years, very enjoyable.

One of my most addictive games was a network game with a friend where we both started in the conference, him as Rushden and me as Cambridge. He floated straight to the top and I sunk to the bottom, eventually getting the sack at the end of my first season. That summer with me kicking my heels in frustration, I managed to get a job at the newly promoted (to the conference North) Frickley Athletic.

It was a real challenge that I loved. I took the club on, kept them up in my first season and converted them into promotion hopefuls, eventually getting them into the Conference proper. Something really clicked within the club and confidence soared. Then after a few seasons of reaching the play-offs, I took Frickley into Division 3 with a play-off win. Then my crowning glory was to take little Frickley into Division 1 (whilst my friend had gone from strength to strength and was England manager, even though he was in the Championship). That was the definite height of my reign and common sense told me I had taken them as far as I could, especially given the size of the stadium, but I couldn`t bring myself to leave the club that I had built.

Unfortunately, I couldn`t repeat previous heroics and we were relegated from Division 1 back down to Division 2. However, we had a very strong squad and were expected to get promotion. Again, I considered my options but stayed as I again couldn`t bare to leave them - unfortunately, I failed again to mount a promotion challenge and, eventually, realised I had to leave (the heart didn`t want to) so I started applying for other jobs (something I had refused to do before). The chairman wasn`t happy and asked me to step down from my position before they pushed me out - I politely fell on my sword, very unhappy about the way the last couple of seasons had gone.

Moral of the story: don`t get too addicted to any one club.

(Even though I went and got the Stuttgart job after my time at Frickley ;p - but that is another story)

From 07 onwards I've always been the mighty Yeading (now known as Hayes & Yeading). Not sure why as I don't live near there or anything. There's just something about 'em :)

This year however, because of the vast luxuries the data editor offers us I'm playing my local team Thurmaston Town @ Level 10.

Picking an English team even from the lower tier is still not the most exiting challenge because once ou reach Prem. your team has very high reputation and you can eventually sign anybody else in the world.

I pick a low tier team from a low rep nation, Ex: Romania, Denmark, Turkey, .... I can make them challenge for domestic championship in about 5,6 years but Euro success takes lots of time and sometimes close to impossible. But it is also important to keep England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, maybe couple more other leagues playable so their teams remain strong and they keep dominating Euro cups as they should.

Rushden & Diamonds? :D

Hell yeah lol. But any low tier english team is good fun imo.

It depends if you like a challenge. Not like im saying playing as the likes of Hull or Stoke etc in the EPL aren't challenges but they're much easier than having to change your team to fit the league all the time. Assuming you can manage promotion. Half the time its better not to get promoted just to make some more money before the jump lol.

Teams I've managed 90% of my gaming time since CM4 (i think it was no4)

CM4? : Wolves

FM05 : Hull

FM06 : Man Utd

FM07 : Hull

FM08 : Man Utd

FM09 : Hull

FM10 : Hull

Sad thing is, I've never managed a complete season outside of the English divisions, I've tried but I get so bored :D

^^ I lied, I've done 2 years at Valur in the Icelandic Premier division, boring as hell tough.

Defo the only one I get seriously addicted to is my own club Pompey.

Have been know to do 30 odd seasons in the past with them. Thing is other than Pompey or England I have no will to play for great lengths with other clubs countries but I do like doing full carreers. i.e. I don;t quit or start again with another team when I get sacked. I've done games where I've been pompey (to be honest almost always start with them) then move on to another country once have made them a force, if and when that is. If I can't I might move on.

One thing I do like to do is a continental challenge - Win the highest club cup on each continent.

Sorry lol - you only needed the most addicting team. yeah that would be

POMPEY!!!

PUP

Liverpool. Historically one of the greatest teams in the world, but currently with a squad that seems to need Gerrard and Torres to be present for them to really challenge, so it's a case of rebuilding the squad and offloading the dead wood, and at the same time trying to keep up with Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

When I was at uni I had a really good save with Spurs where I eventually won the champs league 3 years in a row. That was 07/08 I think.

Last years game I eventually got addicted initially as Staines boss, where i got promoted to the championship before hitting a wall, then moved to QPR, Feyenoord and had 7 great seasons at Napoli. That was my favourite save of all time.

After starting as Spurs I got bored quickly as I had already had my fill of them in the demo, so I have started as Staines and am just entering my 3rs season having won the league in my 2nd. Im hoping for a save as good as the previous year.

Fiorentina, I first managed them on the XBox in 07 version, and managed to get them fifth with the 19 point deduction (without it would have come 2nd on gd) and then went on to dominate thwe world, so ever since I always play a good medium term game with them, and have now decided to have them as my start-up team.

- Bolton (even though I hate them irl)

- Hinckley (my local team)

- Bury

- Liked being Wolves on FM09

- Hate being Leicester even though I support them - have never got into a career with them, don't think i've ever completed a season with them on any FM, just doesn't feel right.

I seem to be the complete opposite. I am usually pretty good at getting a team to the Championship (unless, frustratingly for me, they're called Tranmere Rovers) but once I'm there I can never make the final step stick. I got Maidstone United to the Premier League on FM08 but went back down and just could not get them back up losing the Play-Offs.

I can't seem to bring in top quality players to a higher division side, but can attract good players to bad teams in the lower leagues.

In fact I can only remember achieving promotion to the Premier League 5 times. Each time I've been relegated and only once have I bounced straight back and even then I took Brighton straight back down a second time!

It's a bit different with me. As soon as I get to a point in the game, when all teams are dominated by regens I tend to glide through every league. Another thing is that every time I get a promotion to the Prem, the board tends to give me a transfer budget of £23 - £35 mil...which makes it just too easy to build a good team. Not sure if it is a rule, but I usually manage to sign 4 - 5 quality regens, who carry my team on their backs through every game. Even early on in the game it wasn't too hard - I manage to sign the likes of Vaughan, Ziegler and a French right winger from West Ham (don't remember the name). The rest of the team would usually be made up of youngsters.

During the first season in the Prem I usually tend to linger around 15th position. Once, on FM09 with Norwich, I got really lucky and managed to finish 9th. That was sheer luck though. When you do manage to stay in the Prem during the first season then it is really hard to get relegated in the following seasons, due to high transfer budgets. On the other hand, keeping Bradford in the Prem during the first season was a real struggle - finished just outside of the relegation zone and everything depended on the last game of the season. Wigan had two point edge over me, but lost their last game and I won mine. Following years - a steady climb.

I've only played as Chelsea, mainly cause I'm knew to soccer (football) and the game as well, and they are the team I know the best. But I see how Portsmouth could be a very addicting team to play - in a few years trying to get them in financial prosperity and all that. Very nice challenge.

Newcastle Need i say more

Yep - it's Newcastle. Or Leeds!

Anyone who is a bit 'fudged' (hoping not to get an infraction for using the word 'fudged'!) and needs a saviour!

It's all about the ego boost of rising the phoenix from the ashes! ; )

hmm good question, fm 05 i done a 15 season save with my beloved q.pr winning all infront of me, save corrupted then done it all again

since then the most ive done is 4 or so seasons.

had a few great saves on other versions, one with everton, one with southend, one with q.p.r again springs to mind.

dident really get that bug for 09

but on fm10 im finding it again, as you can see from above i pretty much managed only in england only in past games, this year i am going abroad as much as possible before coming home,

done aus very enjoyable not sure about addictedness though due to wage cap, currently in italy for the first time and loving it at the mo any italian team is definatly a great game

• SI Staff

I like to play a sleeping or fallen giants game. My recent (FM09) Como game was incredible, but I've had other good ones with San Marino, Vaduz, Stuttgart Kickers, Calais and I'm sure many others along the way...

Archived