GamersGate query

Owing to the postal strike in England delaying my game from zavvi for I don't know how long, I'm bracing myself to pay top dollar for a digital download.

I've had recurrent nightmares with Steam and won't go there again, and GamesPlanet say that won't download to Asia, so that just leaves GamersGate.

Can anyone recommend this to me, given that internet connections here are slow and unreliable. I'm prepared to wait 4 or 6 hours for the download, but will it be okay of the connection breaks mid-way? When I pay and download the game will it just live in my computer for me to play off-line or online without interference, or will it try to invade and take over my life like Steam, telling me to reinstall and all that hell?

Crucially, is it separate to Steam or are they just a conduit and I'd still have to try to activate through Steam?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I was going to have it shipped to China. But, owing to the wonderful posties, I decided to just buy it digitally online. I figured that by the time I had paid for postage it would be more or less the same.

So on release day I logged on an downloaded for my mac through esellerate - to my shock, it was cheaper, $29.99 USD!!!! Awesome.

I would strongly recommend downloading. It is worth every penny.

I've used GamersGate before, in fact I got FM09 from there. They're OK, but the downloads are very slow.

Zavvi sent an email saying they shipped mine last week. Usually takes just under a week for post to arrive here (Japan), just hope it managed to get on a plane between postal strikes. How long does the post to you normally take? If you really want it before your holiday, then GamersGate may be your only bet. Just be prepared for a long download.

I can download overnight so long as the connection doesn't break. The postal issue is more to do with whether it would get through customs - Cambodia has certain 'issues' that don't affect you guys in developed nations. I'll see if my mum has confirmed she's sent it on and it's got through the strike in england before deciding.

So BodhiD (great name!), once you've recieved the game it doesn't have any issues re. activation and horrors from Steam?

Archived