Training a players weaker foot

As aussieant32 said. Although I would love to be wrong!

In theory (and more importantly, in reality) surely a player can become better on their weaker foot after some carefully aimed training, so perhaps a feature that could be implemented in future FMs...?

The whole training part of the game is a feature that's been stagnant for a while now, so hopefully it'll be boosted in future.

As aussieant32 said. Although I would love to be wrong!

In theory (and more importantly, in reality) surely a player can become better on their weaker foot after some carefully aimed training, so perhaps a feature that could be implemented in future FMs...?

The whole training part of the game is a feature that's been stagnant for a while now, so hopefully it'll be boosted in future.

True. That could do with an overhaul. I did like the old one where you could decide on what to train and what day. Like piggie in the middle, heading, etc; though it could be tiresome. There mus be a balance somewhere.

CM2010's training ended up being a bit tiresome and time-consuming, but at least the feature is there.

FM really lacks a behind-the-scenes layer of player interaction, which training is a part of.

However... I don't think that players out of academy level can really develop their weaker foot that much. You either have it or you don't, and it's pretty apparent. Players just focus on developing their abilities to compensate rather than dwelling on it.

A great example of people working on their weaker foot is Giggs, his right foot has improved a lot since he first broke onto the scene and he was one of the most one footed players I've ever seen.

Players are capable (well the good ones, with the right attitude) of getting their wrong foot up to at least reasonable. They dont always have to use it, but with lots of hard work it's possible to make it so they dont ALWAYS have to cut inside or go down the line.

A great example of people working on their weaker foot is Giggs, his right foot has improved a lot since he first broke onto the scene and he was one of the most one footed players I've ever seen.

Players are capable (well the good ones, with the right attitude) of getting their wrong foot up to at least reasonable. They dont always have to use it, but with lots of hard work it's possible to make it so they dont ALWAYS have to cut inside or go down the line.

Yep. Totally agree. It is rather like suddenly asking you to write with your left hand if you're a righty. You'll be bleeding useless at first, but given enough time & training, you can improve it.

I'd quite like to see a feature implemented that's rather similar to the 'learn a new move' feature.

Under player interaction, it would be great to have an 'improve weaker foot' option.

Some players may not be willing to undertake it (i.e. the older ones), but younger players might be willing to go for it and it would take up 10% of their training schedule to learn.

In FM09 (or was it 08?), some players' weaker foot would improve. I know because at the start of a game Rosicky was right footed but later on he became either footed. How did it happen? I just think as a result of his CA rising a little. I didn't give him any special training or anything.

I'm going to try playing him (Angel Di Maria) alot on the other wing, telling him to stick to the byline and hope he can improve it by using it. I'll let people know how it goes.

The game isn't intelligent enough for this to work.

It won't make a jot of difference.

• SI Staff
would be especially handy with the regens as they are typically only 1 footed

This is not actually true. The footedness percentages are pretty much in line in the long term games with the starting data and there are roughly the same amount of Both footed, Right Only, Left Only, Right preferred and Left preferred players.

The idea about being able to train the weaker foot is an interesting one, I'll add it to the training wishlists for further discussion :thup:

This is not actually true. The footedness percentages are pretty much in line in the long term games with the starting data and there are roughly the same amount of Both footed, Right Only, Left Only, Right preferred and Left preferred players.

The idea about being able to train the weaker foot is an interesting one, I'll add it to the training wishlists for further discussion :thup:

can you show anything to back that up as i dont recall seeing any multi-footed regens in any versions including so far in this one? it doesnt really matter but wasnt that one of the main complaints about regens in the last 2 games, as well as speed and stamina being rediculously low?

• SI Staff

Some example data from one of my recent soaks:

2009 at the start of a new game

-------------------------------

Percentage of Either footed: 3.617

Percentage of Left preferred footed: 10.816

Percentage of Right preferred footed: 43.966

Percentage of Left Only footed: 10.843

Percentage of Right Only footed: 30.759

Same data in 2047

------------------

Percentage of Either footed: 3.555

Percentage of Left preferred footed: 13.648

Percentage of Right preferred footed: 39.608

Percentage of Left Only footed: 12.636

Percentage of Right Only footed: 30.553

I would say that rules out newgens only being typically 1 footed ?

not really when either footed is only 3% so 97% is either mainly/only 1 footed. I realise that this is probably accurate-ish to real football, my main point was that the training for weaker feet was for new players, now generally apart from your first season all new young players are going to be regens/newgens yes? So typically most are not 2 footed correct? I think you have read my post and assumed i was complaining about the numbers, i was mearly pointing out that most of them are 1 footed which you have backed up, thanks..

• SI Staff

Yes, the game tries to keep the numbers the same as the starting DB, which reflects real life. And yes, only about 3.5% of the players are fully "either" footed but roughly 54% on top of that can still use both feet adequately only preferring one foot. So actually just around 42% of the players (real or newgen) are only 1 footed :) (even being Left Only or Right Only does not necessarily mean they cannot use the other foot at all)

If there was an option in the game to make players train their weaker foot though, it would have to be balanced out so that it would not wreck the overall footedness numbers in the long term.

yer and im all for being able to train it, again i wasnt complaining about the numbers as the majority of players are not both footed, was basically saying why i think the option should be there, thanks for those numbers through, interesting to see how it is split up and keeps the data over time

Ive let play Di Maria a full season as attacking RIGHT winger

result: only the rating for that position has increased a little, actually he performed very bad...

edit: and yes, the training part of fm is really really BASIC, I hope it changes soon !

Can't see any reason why this shouldn't be in the game, actually. And I agree that training is one of the things that need most improvement in the game.

Another thing to consider is that really skilled players (technically) are often better with both feet than the rest. Does the game reflect this? Maybe starting technique should affect footedness.

Ive let play Di Maria a full season as attacking RIGHT winger

result: only the rating for that position has increased a little, actually he performed very bad...

As to be expected, but top effort in reporting your findings :thup:

Also nice to know that Riz Remes has added this to the training wishlist. I Love it when I see good feedback between us mere mortals and SI like this on the forums. :)

Can't see any reason why this shouldn't be in the game, actually. And I agree that training is one of the things that need most improvement in the game.

Another thing to consider is that really skilled players (technically) are often better with both feet than the rest. Does the game reflect this? Maybe starting technique should affect footedness.

Yes, the game tries to keep the numbers the same as the starting DB, which reflects real life. And yes, only about 3.5% of the players are fully "either" footed but roughly 54% on top of that can still use both feet adequately only preferring one foot. So actually just around 42% of the players (real or newgen) are only 1 footed :) (even being Left Only or Right Only does not necessarily mean they cannot use the other foot at all)

If there was an option in the game to make players train their weaker foot though, it would have to be balanced out so that it would not wreck the overall footedness numbers in the long term.

yes it reflects real life

You've seriously never thought of this before? :(

This only reinforces my belief that far too much effort goes into needlessly producing a new UI and far too little effort into fixing parts of the game that have been mediocre for years...

• SI Staff
You've seriously never thought of this before? :(

This only reinforces my belief that far too much effort goes into needlessly producing a new UI and far too little effort into fixing parts of the game that have been mediocre for years...

Yes, I've thought of it before (and probably a lot of people at SI have done the same) but since I was just compiling some ideas about training together for future versions I thought I'd mention that it has been included there.

Oh and I've had nothing to do with the new UI myself so apologies for shattering your belief on that part. We have different people taking care of different parts of the game but even with such allocation of tasks it is simply impossible to work extensively on all areas of the game every year on a project as large as FM :)

Archived